Chronic insomnia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I have been suffering from insomnia now for 6 months, after an acute stress reaction back in January. I became very depressed, although that is getting better week by week. I have never suffered with this before.

The doc tried me on some anti depression meds, which had little effect so I tapered off them.

He also gave me a low dose of quetiepine to help sleep, which made me feel very weird the next day.

Another doc gave me lorazepam, which is the only med which gives me a good nights sleep. Sometimes I will take 1mg, or I will cut it in half.

I wake up feeling normal and functional, but I don't want to get dependant on it. I don't crave it at all in the day, just like it to get me to sleep.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yea, I have been on Lorazepam for sleep for MANY years..and it does work great..no after effect..etc.

But, my Dr.s because I have an alcohol problem that rears its ugly head often in the last couple of years have cut my prescription more than 1/2....SO...I have been looking for other sleep alternatives.

I have written a couple posts in the anxiety forum...regarding Chamomile tea...there is a lot of feedback on this herb for sleep.

I may be OK with this method...just not ready to make a total switch yet.

• Posted

Hi Missy

Can you tell me how often you take the Lorazepam, and the dose. I'm concerned about any long term effect and possible addiction.

I'm in the UK, I'm not sure if they will be willing to subscribe it long term, they seem to want to pump me up on antidepressants instead which I am very wary of.

I'm curious about Chamoline tea, there is a mixed opinion about it but it would be worth a try - it can't do any harm!

Best wishes

Rodders

• Posted

The thing about Chamomile is it CANT do anything wrong...no one has ever in research said it has cause harm.

im only on 0.5 Lorazepam 1x a day.

Now I am going to get cut off by the Dr..cause i keep relapsing on drink.

So I have to get used to Chaomile relaxing mesmile

• Posted

Thanks Misssy

I will give the tea a chance! There seems to be such a mixed opinion of everything, from alternative methods to medication.

The Lorazipam works well for me with no side effects, but there are so many bad stories about it.

I hope the tea works for you, and that you can go steady on the drinking smile

• Posted

Hi Rodders72,

I might have a few suggestions as I had chronic insomnia for a year and tried everything and eventually found some very effective alternative solutions.

I was using diazipam for around 6 months just to get enough sleep to make it through the days but there are other medications I can also suggest that could be useful. Due to the terms of this forum you would have to ask me for further info which I can provide, or maybe you can private message me if there is an option here.

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.