Chronic knee pain!!! Lupus

Posted , 4 users are following.

last year at xmas. I started having servere knee pain!! Since then this knee pain has not gone away it went to the other knee as well. Bearing in mind I have lupus so at first I thought it was flare....but then it would not go away! I did have knee pain in the past but that was usually resolved by a short course of steroids. Now steriods will not resolve the problem. (I've tried injections as well) I'm on methotrexate at the moment but my knees are getting worse. Since the day it started last year it has never gone away! I'm constantly living in pain!! (Nobody tell me to try natural remedies) I've tried essentials oils raw milk herbal teas and healthy diet nothing seems to be working!!! Any advice????

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maryam

So sorry...to address the immediate discimfort perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Now to address this persistent flare...are your knees hot to the touch...do your knees become red? If you responded yes to these questions, you may also have rheumatoid arthritis

MTX is great for rheumatoid as well. That said, it isnot unusual to use MTX in conjunction with other medications.

Ask you rheumatologist if you can add an NSAID.

Kind regards

Judith

• Posted

Hi Maryam

So sorry...to address the immediate discimfort perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Now to address this persistent flare...are your knees hot to the touch...do your knees become red? If you responded yes to these questions, you may also have rheumatoid arthritis

MTX is great for rheumatoid as well. That said, it isnot unusual to use MTX in conjunction with other medications.

Ask you rheumatologist if you can add an NSAID.

Kind regards

Judith

• Posted

Hi Judith

Thanks for the advice I will try that although I'm not allowed NSAIDS since I have kidney issues!

• Posted

Are you allowed acetaminophen 500 mg every six hours for pain when needed...perhaps a antimalarial if the methotrexate does not kick in...and we have other immunosuppressives.

My favorite aunt had lupus and kidney disease...hugs

• Posted

Thank you!! But I'm already on a antimalarial but I will ask my rhem! Very sorry about your aunty....

• Posted

Hi. Poor you. I agree about asking for something else in terms of how your disease is treated. I have Behcet's which is similar. There are a lot of treatments available. May be time to try something new.

• Posted

Hello, you may need to inform your Rheumy and then request that he referr you 

to get an CT on your knee.  I have the same problem with my right hip and right knee.

I have no insurance at this time so I havent been able to see my Rheumy but I have to go see him know and just get a bill to request a CT scan on my knees and hip.

Some times an xray want show as much as a CT scan will.  I had an xray last year, nothing showed up and now my left side hip and knee is starting to do the same.

• Posted

Ok I'll ask my rhem!although I did have an ultrasound! Ok good luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.