Chronic lower back pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had a bad back for many years and got diagnosed with degenerative spondylitheses, I've now got chronic lumbar pain on the lower right side near my hip , when I move in a certain way it feels like I've had an electric shock which travels up my back and the pain also travels to my stomach, it feels like I've got a knot which seems to tighten or something is pushing down around my hip area and sometimes I get a clicking sound at the bottom of my spine in the middle .I've had an x ray which showed no damage around this area and had a mri scan of which I'm waiting for the results. Anyone had the same symptoms and what was your diagnosis as I'm concerned that I may have something which could lead to an unhappy ending

Many thanks

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hope you find the solution you need and that it happens very soon.

I am sorry for people who are suffering, who have pain who cannot enjoy life mostly when they are young as you are.

I wish you the best.🍀

• Posted

See if your GP can refer you to a surgeon to fit a Dorsal collum stimulator to help with your pain,not a big opp walk the same day not much pain.
    • Posted

Hi rodney02388 have you had one fitted and what was your diagnosis? Did you have the same symptoms as myself

Thank you

• Posted

I have kfs and sringomelia I spine which has damaged my vertebrae . I am in constant pain x
    • Posted

So sorry Sandy from UK, knowing you are suffering pain and discomfort!

May you have the outcome you expect and need, may you have the right doctor taking care of you!

May all will be well! 😊🍀

• Posted

David 75395,

It could be a sciatica nerve pain, definitely get it looked at before it gets to bad and ruins you, I don't know where you are but definitely try to get that check, I hope u can some relief before it goes haywire on you, see if GP or neurosurgeon can see if that's what causing your pain,

Try to find the strength to go on, been doing so many different things for 20 years don't end up like me, S1+L5 fusion and a spinal cord stimulator, so many scars so much pain.

But wish you the best in your journey and hope you can get a happy ending for me I'll never see that or even close but I do smile no matter how bad my body feels I try to stay positive and maybe my day will come, started this journey in 1997 at age of 25 I'm now 45, and I am trying and pushing through the pain cause I need to keep go forward, Jeep in touch let us know how and what you find out, we are all here to help one and another to get through those days we just get frustrating and feel alone.

We are here smile

Cynthia (Cindy) USA ( Connecticut)

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, you would think that sciatica in England would be easy but its not, I have had it for over 10 years and I am still in great pain.  Having stupid doctors.
    • Posted

Enna1,

Hello we have the same here all the red tape, as everyone says or pass the buck, it's always a hassle to find what was wrong with me, now I have so many problems from the waiting it kills your life, but I try hard to stay positive and put a smile on even in pain.

I hope we all find pain free days.

Cynthia (USA)

• Posted

Hi Cynthia

Please don't smile when you see a doctor or whoever.   That was my downfall.  They think you are not in pain and putting the whole thing on.  I can tell you, I think I would have got on better if I had really showed how i really felt. From the first doctor to the last in England theythought I was putting the pain on, even though I had MRI and X Rays to prove it, they didn't ask to look at them and didn't go on the computer to see them.  I am not sure whether you look on all the patient with regard to backs but funnily enough there is a lady who lives near me, gone to the same hospitals, and have mucked her about, so it just wasn't me or her. I just think that they have to wheedle people out and thats one of the ways they do it. Its disgusting.  I am so glad I am in Spain but.... they do it but in a different way, they say, come back if you are still in pain, so the door is always open.

Just remember - no smile....Its been 2004 since I first got my first back pain I didn't know what I had done, I was only strolling along the river bank and from then, it was perhaps before 2004 but anyway about that time and I still have no proper outcome.  Oh yes, plenty of medication, and plenty of things I have purchased myself but nothing really helps with the pain of a couple of prolapsed discs.  My partner has hidden my file so I can't tell you whats happened to S1 but think that is on its way too.  But the pain..... I had a doctor who said that she thought it was the sacrioliac joint, anyway, we will see.   Have you had injections for your discs?  Did they help - I will be suprised if they did but how far have you got now.....  Where do you live in the States - do you have private insurance?  I know Obama was wanting to do the NHS system but at least when you have insurance you can have something done.   But... if you have insurance it means that a surgeon is going to get paid, which I think is dangerous.

A lot of the good surgeons in England are now only seeing private patients and this is also so in Spain.  The two best in Valencia have gone private but it would cost me 20,000 euros and they said i would walk out of the hospital 2 days later.  Oh yer..... I could walk out but I don't believe that thats it... if you get what i mean.   I know lots of people who think thats it but it isn't, we have to try to work our muscles and core - the latter I am not sure whether I am doing it right.   My friend is a physio and don't like asking her as she wouldn't charge me, but her and her husband showed me the other day, I was sooo tempted to laugh but anyway thats another subject. Perhaps I can find the exercise on here.

Keep in touch, tell us what the doctor says today...... looking forward to hearing from you.  Try reading ADRSupport, there is an English site and also a United States site.  Its not all for artificial support, its for anything related to backs, but primarily artificial discs..... But people write on the board about all sorts of things.  Good luck at the doctors. Speak soon.

• Posted

Emma

Oh no I get so frustrated with the doctor or aprn's I see a different one every time I go. The smile is for me so I don't ruin me and bring myself down, I'm on a lot of prescriptions and I had the Nevro stimulator put in had complications and it took over 6 months to get the battery out and put into my belly cause it was pushing thru my skin. I would get so mad cause everyone was blowing me off, when I said I wanted this out.

So frustrating.

Talk soon

Cynthia

• Posted

Sorry this is a long time since you put this message on the pile (!) I am not sure how old you are but I am 72 and my back is very bad - got 2-3 levels going or gone and the first time that my back sort of cracked or you say clicked I was really amazed until my sister in law she is 87 and as far as her back is concerned I think its OK she says her back cracks sometimes so I just take it that its old age. But when it happens its really an odd feeling.

Oh I have everything, spondylosis (or whatever it is) spinal stenosis, something else but can't remember, my partner says not to dwell so I don't.  Then I have the discs prolapsed or going.... Its odd actually that I can see myself falling down the stairs when I was in my 30s and despite odd bits of pain and visits to osteopaths, etc. my back has been really painful.  However, I have had a bad cold this week and have been given this and that by the chemist and you know I not had a painful back since.  As they weren't on prescription I don't know what they were. Its doing the rounds in the village anyway.  So must have been a painkiller.

Sometimes you do get a shock like an electric shock but i think I have gone past that or its my pills.  What do you take?  Can I say to you, whatever they say to your MRI/X Ray if you can, have it confirmed by someone else i.e. let someone else read the results.   I have had upteen of these and I was nearly crawling on the floor at one stage and the registrar told me there was nothing wrong with my back, I was absolutely staggered.  If he is a surgeon by now, God help us.

Send me a private message when you have had the diagnosis or send it on here, I am sure someone will help you.  You don't say whether you have private insurance - where do you live - what is your surgeons name.  It all helps. I have been a member of ADRSupportUK for many many years, and I have seen people come and go on the forum and people never come back to say how they are, i think its important for us to know the outcome.

Don't worry as these things are not a mystery to these wonderful surgeons, its getting the right one.....

Look forward too hearing from you

• Posted

Hi Enna , sorry for the long time reply , I'm only 47 and have had back trouble for over 15 yrs , the results of my mri scan shows the bottom half of my spine is degenerative with a prolapsed disc and a leaking one too plus I have cervical degenerative disc disease with five of my discs , one which is prolapsed , the consultant said surgery would not make any difference and try pilates or yoga plus just walk around a swimming pool, I cannot even walk properly because the pain is too much ! Should I get a second opinion? Or would surgery not improve or lessen the pain ? , I live in England by the way

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.