Chronic Migraine

Posted , 9 users are following.

After suffering with constant, daily headaches for over a year now, I have recently been diagnosed with Chronic Migraine after a visit to a neurologist. I've been prescribed with Topirimate, however this medication does not affect my migraines whatsoever; it does not give me any relief. I am also experiencing constant neck pain, in which I am currently seeing a chiropractor for. I have in the past had accupunture, accupressure, physio and seen a previous chiropractor to try and gain relief from these constant neck pains and headaches and although some give instant relief, none for more than an hour or so. The headaches are always there, I wake up with them and go to sleep with them, they have become part of my daily routine; so much that I have forgotten what it is like to not have a headache

I am currently doing my Alevels and so trying to balance my study with this daily pain is causing me quite a bit of psychological stress and anxiety. I have given up on explaining the amount of pain I am in to those around me as I do not expect them to understand, why should they? Pain is subjective. 

All I ask for is for something that will give me relief and perhaps help me go a day without a headache. Any advice or suggestions would be musch appreciated,

Thank you, Katie

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain.

I have been on lots of preventative Meds and none of them work. Topiramate gave me such hideous side effects I had to come off them.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep going back to your GP and tell them how awful you feel.

I do understand how you feel as I am in the same boat but I know that doesn't help you, perhaps just let's you know you're not alone. I am a member of a migraine group on Facebook which can be really helpful... have a look for it ... migraine chat room.

Xx

• Posted

Thank you for your support, it helps to know that I am not suffering along. I will look into the facebook group chat,

Katie

• Posted

I am really sorry for your pain....and people who do not suffer from migraines really can't understand...i am 44 and suffer from migraines for over 20 years...maybe you should start writing down what you eat....there are so many triggers...sugar and cheese can be a trigger....also strong scent...skipping meals also....I've always use excedrin growing up to help relieve pain...but over the last 4 years i been using up and up...from Target....generic brand excedrin that works really well....and drinking plenty....and i do mean plenty of water......
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice, I drink plenty of water, near to 2 litres a day so dehydration definately isn't a factor with the headaches. I shall keep an eye out on triggers, however since the migraine is constant it shall be difficult
  • Posted

Have you ever had a brain and neck mri done?

• Posted

No, but I going to ask my neurologist if an MRI would be possible in my next appt in July
  • Posted

If you google migaine diet you will find a list of migraine safe and a list of foods to avoid. Eating 6 small meals instead of 3 large meals also helps with the headaches because it stabolizes you blood sugar. I agree about the water as well.  Even people who do not get migraines get headaches if they don't have enough water.  It is just drastically increased with migraines.  Certain migraines are affected by the weather, so take into account humidity, barometric pressure, and temperature.  Sleep or lack there can lead to migraines. A nice bedtime routine that involves clearing your thoughts and relaxation would be recommended around the same time every night. 
  • Posted

Oh Katie,

I am so sorry to hear about your chronic pain. I suffer from migraines too, but not to that extreme. I don't have any real advice to give you except that I've been reading a book called the Migraine Brain by Carolyn Bernstein, MD and I find some of the tips helpful. I know how frustrating it is to be in pain and have people look at you curiously because they can't understand how bad it is. If you believe in God Katie pray for a cure, and in the meantime check out the book and see if you can contact Dr Bernstein. She too is a migraine sufferer. I wish you the best of luck...Elsie

• Posted

I appreciate your words of support, I have strong faith that God is with me, even through my suffering and will find a light at the end of this darkness. I will make time to check out the book, thank you,

Katie

• Posted

I am sorry for your suffering Katie!   I am also in treatment for constant migraine for one year.  I had episodic migraine (4 x month if I watched my diet) since 1978.  What helps me is rizatriptan.  Do you have access to a triptan? 

I am also seeing a neuromuscular dentist to splint and align my jaw joint, which is a huge trigger (TMJ).  My migraine became chronic after having two crowns replaced that misaligned my bite, became infected and then pulled and now have implants.  I so understand the constant pain!

I am also having good success by following a low histamine, low tyramine diet.  Have you tried this?

Peace,

Sharon

• Posted

Marmiejoe what is a low histamine diet? I'm for anything that aids without more medication then what I'm taking already. Hope this helps you too Katie.... Elsie
    • Posted

I am currently trying triptans named zoimitriptan, however no form of painkiller seem to give any sort of relief so it didn't come as a shock when these didn;t make a difference to the pain. No I havent tried the diet, but shall look into it, thank you,

Katie

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I also am on topirimate and have been for 9 years. Does it work? Not really, like you I also wake up most days with a headache the only thing I have found is that it takes away the really debilating headaches where I am bedridden for two days. I am also prescribed sumatriptan which i have been taking for 15 years and that is the only thing that works for me.

I am now 57 and have had migraines since I was 11 and have had every preventative medication and treatment - acupuncture, head and neck treatments, every alternative medicine and nothing has ever taken my headaches away. There is one time I was headache free .... the last 3 months of each of my three pregancies (lol) - but rather a high price to pay for bliss. 

I did use to think that perhaps when I went throught the change, if it was a hormonal imbalance then my headaches might get better, 8 years down the line - no such luck. 

Good luck with your exams and may your headaches get better. I'd get some triptans for now just to help you through.

xx 

• Posted

I already have triptans which do not help either. I am currently 16. The fact you are 57 and have suffered with migraines all your life scares me, when I bring up that sort of thing people dismiss it but the reality is I am going to be suffering with this my whole life aren't I? Nothing helps it, I may as well give up now. I mean to live everyday for the rest of my life with a headache 24/7 I don't even want to imagine it. 

Thank you for wishing me luck, the exams are finishing in a few days thank goodness, 

hope you are coping through the pain, I guess it's nice to know I'm not suffering alone,

Katie

• Posted

Find this book...it may help...migraine brains by caroline berstein....
    • Posted

Katie NEVER SAY NEVER smile  Us more elderly and experienced with migraine can still be happy and live a full life. First and foremost trust God to give you strength to endure, He has me for a very long time. But they are working on cures for migraine. When you finally get your MRIs and find the "root" cause of what's going on, you may find help. You're not suffering alone and I'm so sorry you have to deal with this starting so young in life. I did too but as stated earlier I'm hoping the botox injections help. I'm not sure that your age would make you a candidate for botox injections. You said you have triptons. Do you use Imitrex for the pain or Maxalt, Zomig or any of those? Those are just to kill the pain and not a prevention but I'm 95 % sure of relief with minor side affects although you're only allwed 9 tablets a month. I just hate to think that you would have to endure extensive treatment with multiple medications. I think it's hard for any of us to really say what will work and what won't as we are all different in reactions to meds. The only sure thing is we certainly understand the pain and feeling of living with it for the rest of our days. Sweetie, I will be keeping you in my prayers. My heart really goes out to you. You'll never be alone.

Teri

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.