chronic obesity calories for good but safe weight loss

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 40yr old male and I weigh over 400lbs. I want to try and lose it as I am now suffering more with my health (last heart check was ok around 6months ago but I know I still am killing myself).

I am looking for advice on what calorie level I should start at for a safe but ideally decent weight loss per week? When I looked at myfitnesspal it recommended 2560 which is over a normal man's recommendation I guess because I am so overweight, this seems too high to me for a weight loss based on putting sedentary (I do plan to exercise but wanted to put that for now so I could get a better idea of calories)

Any advice helpfully received, my doctor just said I needed to diet buy wasn't too helpful over and above that.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My missus thinks Slimming World is the bees knees, it's like an hour or so every week and they can give you all the support you need smile
  • Posted

for rapid results in weight loss you should try the best diet control method which can be applicable on you. you can try some good diet as green juice at morning, salads, smoothie diet and fresh fruits. avoid taking junk or fatty food. do continuous exercise also that will give effective results.
  • Posted

I think best idea is to eat healthy food, stop eating high calorie food like cheese and butter. Try some protein and carbohydrate food stuffs.
  • Posted

Hi xombi,

It's so good to see you here trying hard to help yourself get back to a much healthier weight and lifestyle. smile It's such a shame your Dr wasn't more use to you, you should be able to rely on him!

If you think the myfitnesspal recommendations are too high then go towards being under. I use MFP and my calorie daily allowance is 1600 per day. However, my husband & I always eat exactly the same meals and portions so therefore his calorie intake is exactly the same as mine - 1600!

The main thing to do is to eat as healthily as possible so try to cut out any junk food and takeaway meals and go for all healthy food with fruit, veg etc...and have plenty of water as it's a good filler upper.

At the moment I've been having a lot of problems with my knee due to arthritis, so to help me burn off the calories I have a Kettlebell - a ball shaped weight with a handle shaped similarly to a kettle handle. At present I'm using a 5 kg size and it's perfect for lifting with one hand or two. Have a look on YouTube and type in 'Kettlebell exercises' and see if it's for you. If necessary you can even sit down and so use it.

As soon as you're able, go out and walk, gently at first so it's not too much, but try hard to walk every day and if possible then do so 2 or 3 times a day as you need to be as active as you can.

Please come back and let us know how you're doing as it's always lovely to hear how people get on, unlike your Dr - we really do care! How about making an appointment with a Nurse at the Doctors? More often than not they can be a huge help, but for now, at least you're reaching out. I just wish my daughter would do the same as you as she's slowly ruining her life.

I wish you all the luck necessary to get your weight off...and keep it off. If you decide to go with MFP then I'll gladly befriend you there and help all I can.

All best wishes, you've made the first step...keep going!

Sue

• Posted

I think you should try the regular gym and diet control. Also try to do running and jogging. This may help you a lot.
  • Posted

Next time, weightloser, try reading the post thoroughly as running and jogging at xombi's current weight just isn't possible, nor is it wise.

Sue

• Posted

Hi

I was eventually diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1995 after it had progressed to Myxoedema, I piled on the weight, my hair fell out, my skin was flaking off, my brain was addled and I lost the use of both hands for 7 months. I was told by my GP that I would never lose the weight!

Having tried in vain for many years to lose weight I came across a book called The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy (approx £8 from Amazon). The diet is like no other I have ever tried and means eating three main meals and two snacks a day (recipes included in the book) . You eat all food groups in a specific way and she explains what works and why it works.

I went from size 24 to size 12 in 5 months and lost 4 stones in weight. This has changed my life in so many ways. People don't recognise me and have asked me how I did it so I have told them about the book. I have people ringing me to tell me how thrilled they are with the results. The book is fascinating reading as Haylie Pomroy is animal trained and medical trained and  speaks such sense. The great thing too is that I have maintained the weight loss even though I am not on the diet now but still follow the principals. It certainly worked for me so I am pleased to pass this on to you and hope it does for you too. Wishing you well. Mandy

• Posted

When my doctor prescribed me orlistat he also gave me a healthy eating book and plan I've been following it since Friday I'm already feeling better in myself I just stick to low fat diet also ask for Brittany spears blog on hear it's brill
  • Posted

You're certainly living on the edge xombi. Doctors, what are they like? My Doctor had a one hour lecture on nutrition over seven years of training. Firstly, beware of info on the Internet, most of it is dangerous nonsense. The same goes for the head-line drivel the BBC pumps out...ignore it.  Losing weight is a journey. You have to decide on your destination. It took me a year to lose 44 pounds but of course, we are all different. In a way it's a bit like sailing, constantly tacking and trimming the sails to keep on course. Do not beat yourself up because you will yoyo, we all do. You will feel hungry a lot of the time but that won't hurt you. Avoid all snacks. I know that I can get 1500 kcals a day from snacks because I would eat continuously given the chance. Eat less meat and save the money for the new clothes you'll need. Drink less if you do. Read the labels but remember that food manufacturers are in it for the money, not for your benefit.. Be patient. You'll want rewarding for your efforts, but not with beer, chips, cheese, biscuits or chocolate. Record your weight and look at the underlying trend not the difference from day to day. Have a look at the FSA (Scotland) web site for their weekly menus based on the eatwell plate.(It took me ages before I stumbled on the menus). Keep a food diary for a month and be sure that it is accurate and honest. Don't evaluate it until you've got the data. Take it easy, it's a slow process. You will be able to do but don't get obsessed. Abstinence works but not for long. Stick with it even though you'll probably find yourself searching down the back of the sofa for a hazelnut left over from Christmas.Keep your nerve and you'll do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.