Chronic Perioral Dermatitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been suffering from perioral dermatitis for about 6 months now. It started as a tiny patch almost flower shaped. I was given ache creams which irritated it more, antibiotics which just made me constipated and gave me cold sores and topical steroids which made it spread once I stopped using them. My GP even told me I was allergic to sunlight at one point!! After laughing that off and demanding to see a dermatologist for a 3rd opinion she diagnosed the chronic level of perioral dermatitis.

The rash is lots of tiny white headed blisters which are on my chin cheeks and nose. Pretty much 50% of my face is inflamed, bright red and extremely painful with natural facial movement.

Although I shouldn't, when it comes to having To attend parties or events where I'll be seeing a lot of people, I've been using a hydrocortisone cream a few days before the event which does clear it temporarily and makes it easier to cover with foundation. but then it does come back worse.

I've now been given the antibiotic Lymecycline 408mg to take once a day. So I'm praying this works.

I would love to know if there is any quick fixes to take the redness and inflammation and the general crusty girl look away whilst I'm on the antibiotics. I have to see a lot of people on a daily basis for work and at the Moment I've gone on long term sick because of the embarrassment and the anxiety that it's causing.

Please help!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever tried internal cleansing? I know it sounds too simple considering you have tried so many things. I know someone who even beat cancer by going on veggie/fruit smoothie diet. Minimally processed veggies such as soup and salad for lunch and dinner, and smoothies for breakfast and in between. She would juice or make smoothies every 2 hours or so. You need to dump inflamation from your body. Try it for a month. 
  • Posted

Hi Ailac88

I am having the same problem it first stars around 3 months ago as tiny spots and I didn't think anything of it .... I went the doctors around 2 months later as the condition was spreading around my mouth, I normally have clear skin a few odd pimples now and then but not like this ... It looked awful and I do not want to be seen in public .... It's embarrassing, I was prescribed fusidic acid by my doctor but it made it worse then did nothing, my boyfriend sat and Google for hours and came across metronizadole, from the online SuperDrug it's mainly prescribed for BV , however after 5 days of taking this medicine the difference is amazing I have about 5 tiny pimples left and it's no where near as red I have just ordered some more as i want it gone completely, be aware though these tablets are very strong, you CAN NOT !!!! drink any alcohol at all whilst taking this medication and it can also make you feel slightly depressed ( I couldn't get anymore depressed with what was on my face so it was all good) I wish I could show you a before and after picture as I am so happy, I even wore make up today for the 1st time in months, and I love make up !! I am going to continue the rest of the course sonic will keep you updated... Let me know how you get on with yours

🙂

• Posted

Hi, so glad youve had some joy with Metronizadole, Last year i was taking it for Roscae and it was fantastic, NO DRINKING!!iLost weight as well.

I am having a real flare up of PM, at the moment so i am going to Doc today to ask for the above again, hope you continue to b symptom free. i am also looking into a cleansing diet, but have a wedding next month and dont wnt to look like a horrow story so i will try the tablets, , cheers Jane

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed.

My dermatologist has given me the advice of not putting anything at all in my face except water, to wash gently 3 times a day and then if my skin feels tight or too dry, to use a very small amount of diprobase lotion mixed with water.

I also have antibiotics to take once a day.

Makeup is a definite no no (which has killed my confidence) but if it makes it go away, then it'll be worth it....

I have a follow up in 3 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.