Chronic persistent cough since radiotherapy

Posted , 16 users are following.

Shortly after radiotherapy treatment in 2010 I developed a dry persistent cough along with hoarseness in the throat. Last year the cough was so severe I fractured two ribs. Chest x-rays are clear, lung function test normal, no symptoms of reflux, asthma or shortness of breath. Cough is worse when sitting or lying on my side.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so were they able to find a cause and/or a remedy?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Where did you have the radiotherapy? My wife had radiotherapy following excision of a malignant breast lump about 7 years ago. About 18 months -2 years after she started to get a very dry mouth with reduced saliva production, a doctor said the radiotherapy was to blame even though it was directed at her breast tissue. She now has to use an artificial saliva via aerosol several times a day, she gets it on prescription. If she is out anywhere and she runs out or forgets to take it with her it causes her to cough. She has had other side effects of the radiotherapy also which are uncomfortable at times. I work with a lady who had radiotherapy to her jaw early last year and she is having the dry mouth problem as well and is using the same spray as my wife. Hope you can get some relief for the cough.
  • Posted

Hi Jim2 - thank you so much for your response particularly as I too had radiotherapy following a lumpectomy. No-one else has suggested that so I shall mention it to the GP when I next see him. Could be the problem as a speech therapist thinks it may have something to do with the swallow process - which could also tie in nicely with your wife's experience. Appreciate your swift response. :D
  • Posted

Hi Tabicat, have only seen your last message today, hope you can get some relief from this. I must warn that some doctors seem in denial about possible side effects of radiotherapy. One of the other side effects my wife has is Brachial plexus neuropathy (look it up) a very unpleasant condition, it took ages for the operating consultant to finally admit that the radiotherapy and/or operative procedure was to blame. Many women post breast surgery and radiotherapy have suffered from this and a few years ago had their own group called RAGE to try and get financial compensation for their condition but the courts rejected their case. Sorry to waffle on but I have had to see my wife suffer from these ailments and I feel powerless to help her at times. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your severe cough and fever.Speak to your doctor an ask if it could be radiation pneumonitis which is inflammation of lung due to radiotherapy but is treatable and  must not be left untreated.get it checked out All the best
    • Posted

Thank you shameem73568 for responding.  I was checked out for pneumontis shortly after treatment nearly 5 years ago now: lungs were and remain clear.  Cough remains a mystery!

• Posted

Have you had youself tested for TB ? (Tuberculosis)
    • Posted

No because that's the only symptom found in TB - I don't have:

Pain in the chest.

Coughing up blood or sputum (phlegm from deep inside the lungs)

Weakness or fatigue.

Weight loss.

No appetite.

Chills.

Fever.

Just the cough - research suggests it's due to decreased levels of surfactants, which is a side effect of radiation therapy.  Just don't know how to raise them!

• Posted

Was just a suggestion as my partner had radiotherapy an couldn't find cause of severe cough just found out he has TB sad
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear that - my husband was treated for TB 7 years ago now.  The meds they use these days are highly effective - so I do wish him a swift and fully recovery.
    • Posted

Hi,

This is a year old post so I hope you have your answer by now. I'm still trying for myself (chronic bArking cough of one year). It is making me crazy paranoid and giving me the worst anxiety so it's awful sad. LPR like someone else said is needed to look into. I've been on a PPI for two weeks and the tickling sensation that triggers the cough for me has gone down. The cough is still the same so far. Doesn't make any sense to me. Anyway even if your X Ray is clear, if your husband had TB, please take a TB test. At one point during my testing, they tested me for it ( didn't know they were testing me for it). Turns out I had latent TB. That was really scary but I took the 9 month treatment and luckily I found it before it became anything bad. I'd still take the test if I were you! Also did you fix your cough?

• Posted

So your husband was treated for TB and you have a persistent hard knocking cough and you don't link to it ?

Have yourself checked for tb i would suggest

• Posted

No my late husband was not treated for TB and my lungs are clear.

The cough relates to the radiotherapy nothing else.  Think this discussion has become confused.

• Posted

hi,my mother got the same problem 6 months after her breast cancer radiotheraphy she is suffering from persistent cough.chest ct scan and x ray  is clear.doctor given antiboitics but the prblem still there.it mostly happens when she lies on bed .plz suggest something
  • Posted

I had throat radiation therapy for 7 weeks. It's been 3 months since I finished

radiation and I still have a cough(not a dry cough), sometimes violentlly and

have a hard time to catch my breath. Take codeine cough syrup at nite to

allow me to sleep.

• Posted

Hi I had same treatment for growth on larynx its two Months an I have terrible cough. Some time food seems to get caught in throth and then I really start, noise and eyes start running and it goes on fo 30 minutes and tears throth .anyone know if this normal. I cough all the time at home am also on codeine cough syrup it makes me sleep for few hours. All so finding it hard to eat some foods .trough still very sore and I tired and feed up having no energy. Need to get back to work.
    • Posted

It was at about two months before I started feeling well again, except for throat pain and cough. The fatigue should be getting better soon. I had terrible vomiting. My throat was so tender the coughing would make me gag and also my throat would spasm which caused vomiting. Now and then I still feel the dry patch on my larynx which makes me gag and vomit. Once you can get and keep food in you you'll get your energy back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.