Chronic prostatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have had chronic prostatitus now for over a year how likely is it that ciprofloxacin may help I have tryed trimaphorim helped a little But I have never had a infection show on tests I was a little hesitant to take as I have had a few problems with tendons but to be honest think I may try them

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Russ,  I've only just seen your post and just wanted to say I hope I'm not too late to say DON'T take the Cipro!  Especially if you have tendon problems.  If I am too late and you're OK after the Cipro please can I beg you, in all seriousness, not to take another course EVER - depsite what your doctor says.  Ciprofloxacin, and other ABs in the same Quinolone group, is often prescribed for prostatitis.  Oxfloxacin I know is sometimes prescribed for it.  This group of ABs work by destroying bacterial DNA - and destroying yours along with it.  You build up a level of toxicity, so some people can take a course or two while others can only take a tablet or two.  The Adverse Reactions can be crippling (tendons and muscle problems), gut wrenching (lots of gastric problems) and soul destroying (it affects your nerves and brain).  There is a discussion on here called Fluoroquinone Toxicity Syndrome with loads of information and helpful links.  I hope this helps you.
    • Posted

I haven't took any actually that's a lie I have took 2 tablets that was a while ago I have m e and lot of aches pains allsorts going on but this prostatitus is driving me mad I take alternative antibiotics but it doesn't do much at times I am tempted to try them but I have a lot of side effects from medication so I am not sure doctors just say take them but it's been a year with this prostatitus its chronic I don't know if it's a good idea I've been through enough with nerve problems and headaches thanks for your reply have you had problem with the medication
  • Posted

Not me, but my husband took it for a urine infection.  The first time he was fine and we didn't even know there were any warnings with it.  A year later he was given a second course and after 3 tablets I wondered what was wrong (he's got MS so it's hard to tell!).  After 5 tablets he thought he was dying so I googled it and found that some people have terrible problems - some have even died.  I'm sorry to hear you have ME, I guess you have to be careful what you eat and what meds you take.  Sometimes people affected by the Floxins are diagnosed with ME or MS!  Take care.  Have you googled prostatitis to see if any other forums have ideas about self help like maybe milk thistle tablets or something lke that?
    • Posted

Oh dear sorry to hear about your husbands m s,I have had m e for 3 years started after a infection I have read horror stories about them to be honest just they penetrate the prostate the best I think it's all nerve related to be honest antibiotics have anti inflammatory in them think that's why the help and when I stop taking them it starts up again it's better than it was a year ago so just have to persevere with it there's lots of other things that can help all the best good of you to point out the information cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.