Chronic sinusitis causing anxiety & depression??

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hello everyone, I've noticed since I've been dealing with chronic sinusitis for a long time that I've been having really bad waves of depression as well as anxiety. I didn't have these issues before I also have trouble thinking and even have unwanted negative thoughts etc.

Anybody else experienced this as a result of chronic sinus infection??

I've also noticed since I've been sick with this I am extra sensitive to caffeine, sugar and stimulants. Thoughts???

Thanks

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey,

Im pretty curious about how your surgery went and if you feel any improvement concerning anxiety and depression ?

I'm also suffering from these two symptoms since dealing wtih sinusitis and had surgery 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it is all still inflamed due to surgery but maybe if the healing process is over i will feel the benefits.

I mostly think that this type of anxiety is caused by an overproduction of the hormone cortisol. When the body fights an infection it produces cortisol to fight the inflammation but sometimes it cant fight the infcetion properly and therefore cortisol levels stay elevated. I did an hormone test and my cortisol levels were elevated thus i think that this hormone greatly contributes to our state of mind.

Cortisol plays an important role in the fight or flight response and thats why we are feeling anxoiuos because our body constantly tries to protect us. 

Some thoughts ?

• Posted

That you react to stimulants like coffee is also an indicator for and overproduction of cortisol  by its elevating effect.

Sorry not from an englisch speaking country hope you guys understand me wink

• Posted

I get amp up and irritiable which i read is one of the many symptoms of chronic sinusitis. I do feel part of that is the over reaction of your nose and sinuses which is the first line of defense for our body.What gets me is that i can't plan anything and when i do my first response is a wave of fear because i have no idea how i am going to feel the next day. FRUSTRATING

• Posted

ME TOO!! I am 15 years old and I have Chronic sinusitus for the last five years. Only now I am taking it seriously and having my CT scan in 3 days, and lets see if its poyps or whatever and get an ENT afterwards. But the big thing is I have allergy, astma, so Sinusitus is worse. WORST OF ALL IS THE DEPRESSING TIREDNESS AND LETHARGY. Basically 5 years ago I got a simple cold and ever since then my sinusitus has been getting worse with SEVERE SEVERE SEVER CONSTANT tiredness, depression, some anxiety, always blocked, poor sleep, sleep apena, pressure behind eyes, thick mucus, and headaches (sinus). I wish the sinuses weren't so troublsm. Believe it or not I even had thoughts of suicide from this condition. After suffering and wasting 5 years of TIREDNESS and congestion, I am just about to do a CT scan and the doctor asked me to consider allergy shots. TIRED TIRED TIRED AND DEPRESSED AS A RESULT, I suffered 5 years and then I realized that my severe tiredness is coming from sinus and allergies. Again tiredness is crazy, posiblly polyps. I have tried so many sprays, irrigation, tablets, and herbal remidies, going Vegan + herbal remidies (on going as I type). Lets see what works.

• Posted

wow so young, but it is definitely frustrating. I have also tried all, i have had a Ct scan but there r no polps just turbinate hypertrophy cause by the allergens. Thats what i was told to me by my ENTs. All i can say is good luck and you are not alone
    • Posted

Thanks, and just by the way how do the turbinates look like? The doctor said I have thick mucus and nasal inflammation and congestion of the sinuses. I can visibly see 2 pink growths in my nostrils that shift from time to time sometimes blocking both or only one nostrils and alternate with severity. I find my left nostril the worst. Those visible growths, could it be polyps or turbinates? Can you please tell me the difference? Thanks
    • Posted

From what the ent has told me the turnbinates r part of the lining of your nose there r three of them upper middle and lower. I believe polyps r a growth that occurs in the nasal passages causing a blockage. But i don't know if u can tell the difference by just looking into your nose. The doctor can with the scope and or Ct scan

• Posted

I can relate to all of that!!! I feel like I'm going crazy!!! I'm getting sugery on Friday. any luck with this going away?

• Posted

Wow..I do feel for you. I thought I was bad. I still don't know if mine was sinusitis or rhinitis ...I had No pain..nothing only a stuffed up nose. I used Amavys off the doctor...steroid nasal spray. Blocked nose went but left with a snuffly feeling at top of nose. I bought Tesco steroid spray...dries your nose up too much leaving if feeling bunged up. I use No sprays now...I still get a dry nose...if not dry...it seems as if I need to blow it. This has left me very claustrophobic.....but what you have seems ten times worse. I hope you get sorted out soon. Let us know.

• Posted

Hi DDR and everyone else,

I feel like I'm getting somewhere. A frequent visitor on the anxiety forum, I have come back to realize that the bouts of anxiety and "brain fog" I have been feeling since May 2016 (8 months) is what I thought originally -- sinus related. In other words, the anxiety was a SYMPTOM, not a cause, along with the mental fog.

I just had sinus surgery on Thursday (1/26). 60 hours later I feel marginally better, though until the splints and packing are removed on Monday, I will continue to suffer breathing through my mouth only. I'm doing the nedi rinsing at least 4x daily, which I'm sure is helping overall, though I don't really notice since I'm still blocked up. It's like I had the surgery and went home with a severe sinus infection. Gotta take a step back before moving forward I guess.

Anyway, I've realized something while I've been 'recovering' this weekend. The ENT said it was a mess up there, with the polyps as well as a severely deviated septum. So, I'm beginning to feel more comfortable in what has been the root cause of what's been going on these past 8 months. Anxiety was a biproduct, but wasn't the underlying cause. People kept telling me anxiety, but I countered with "why now?". Why after all this time of never showing anxiety symptoms, and it just so happened to follow a pretty bad sinus infection during the peak of the spring allergy season?

One other thing -- someone here mentioned intrusive or unwanted thoughts. How's this for an 8 month OCD: I have gotten so scared of losing my wit that I have gone to the dictionary more than once daily just to verify if I know a word. It could be a word I already know, or something I forgot. I can tell you that in the height of this fog (I've had some good days, some bad days, and some really bad days), I can have recall memory issues. As in staring at a gardening rake and wondering, "what's that?" Such has been my life for a long while now, and I really believe it all stems from the sinus issues. I'm hoping as I recover from the surgery, the fog will clear, and the mental checking, rumination, and intrusive thoughts will also disappear.

• Posted

How are you Brian? Did the surgery work?

I'm thinking my anxiety and depression is sinus related.

• Posted

Morning,

Just noticed this thread after a Google search. Been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis after 3 months of trouble with them. I'm now on my second set of antibiotics (doxycyline) and a new spray (mometasone)

I've also been on a course of anti depressants recently and have been struggling with depression over the last year. I am now off these tablets since around xmas. Mainly due to the fact I felt like the worst of it was over and I had to deal with the chest infection that turned into the sinus troubles.

I too have been having anxiety episodes and have been feeling irritable and snappy. They are subsiding now but at the worst I've been having full blown panic attacks. It's making for a very difficult time studying as I just feel so disconnected to it all and my quality of work has suffered.

I'm just playing along with the doctor at the moment but ive no issue about the surgery as I just want to get to the bottom of this and enjoy my life without that constant dull headache and ringing in my ears.

All the best with your recoverys

• Posted

Hi All,  I have chronic sinusitis and had a CT scan in December showing extensive pansinusitis, concha bullosa, and deviated septum.  Surgery was scheduled for 1/20/17, but I cam down with pneumonia the week prior and was hospitalized and it had to be cancelled.  It is now 3/29 and I cannot wait.  I too have the depression, snappyness, extreme fatigue, and cravings for caffeine, sugar, etc.  I can drink 3 cups of coffee and take a nap. I have probably gone through 30 boxes of tissue and 20 boxes of mucinex D since Oct when it became apparent I had to have surgery due to complete blockages.  I am looking forward to feeling better and having this symptoms gone.  Thank you for sharing.
    • Posted

My surgery did not go well.  I do not have all the details yet because my doctor only talked to my husband.  I was told he assumed I would not be awake enough to comprehend, but I wake up super fast from anesthesia.  I asked to speak with him but he had left.  

My surgery had to be stopped due to severe bleeding.  My doctor told my husband this is very rare and only happens once in about 10 years for him.  He is foreign, so my husband could not understand totally, and something about medications I was on or the afrin nasal spray I was using.  Prior to surgery, I was told to discontinue ibuprophen, aspitin, herbals, etc that would thin blood, but I didn't use those anyway.  I am just on norco 3x day, neurontin and omeprozole, mucinex, D, nasal spray, which they knew so I have no idea what that would be about.  So, I have tons of pain, etc and don't know how far he got...but he did some (my husband pressed for a % and thought he was told 15%) but it sure hurts for that small.  He said it would have been dangerous to continue unable to see through the excessive bleeding.   I have an appt with my doc Tues, but I am hoping to speak with him tomorrow to get a clear answer about what went wrong.  So.......what I thought was a cut and dried clear solution to my problem looks to be a nightmare.  I am hoping what he was able to do will help me enough to tell the difference.  One very weird thing I noticed from waking up after anesthesia is a bandage over my other wrist where they stuck me with a needle.  I am wondering if they maybe had to give me something to stop the bleeding.  I will ask and update.  I am still in shock and if I was irritable and had some depression before, this is throwing me for a loop.

• Posted

Yes please keep me in the loop I would like to know. How it worked

Thank u for getting back to me

• Posted

Just an update...after I recovered, I did have improvement, but I go back for surgery 7/12 for ENT To finish and clean out the sinuses. Hopefully we have the inflammation to a minimum and I won't have the bleeding issue again. I'm hoping this time I'll recover faster. I was really surprised on the slowness of recovery the last round. Septum surgery is no joke. The stitches took 6 weeks to dissolve and lots of pain. I think this time might be better but idk. With the drastic improvement I've felt after only 15% of the surgery complete, I'm super excited what 100% will bring.

• Posted

Thank u for the update and I am glad there is some improve. Please keep us updated I am sure there r other on this site interested in your prognosis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.