Chronic upper back and shoulder pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with CS bulging discs in neck, been on every medication, my problem is the upper back pain is excruciating and I am struggling to cope do other people have the sameĀ 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen

I too went through all this 2 years ago. Burning pain in my shoulder blades, pain all up the back of my head, and weakness in both arms. I have been back and forth to my gp and also to hospital appointments. I was told at the beginning of this year that I could have surgery, but on my last visit which was earlier this month I was told my condition was too bad. Multiple bulging discs in both my neck snd my back. I have also suffered 2 herniated discs, the pain was horrendous.

I now have to use a walking stick. I can hardly move my neck now, my back, every time I bend over slightly, I am in extreme pain.

I have had all my benefits stopped so I now dont get a penny.

I feel really low at the moment, and I am putting up a fight to try and get it back.

• Posted

Hi Lesley I feel your pain , this is unbearable on gabepentin and zormorph and they are not touching it, how did you get rid of the pain or what helped you this x
    • Posted

Hi Karen. At the minute I am taking Naproxen 1 tab twice a day, Gabapentin 600mg 2 tabs 3 times a day, Tramadol 2 tabs 4 times a day, Paracetamol 2 tabs 4 times a day, Oramorph, Morphine 1 5ml spoon 4 times a day, Amitriptyline 50mg at night.

I have just got my referable through to go to a pain clinic, where I will be offered injections. I feel like a walking zombie most of the time. Hopefully, the injections should get rid of the pain, then I won't need to take all this medication

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I have been back the docs today couldn't cope with pain been given baclofen as well as my other meds also been referred to pain management clinic, same as you poss epidural injections, guess me and you are in the same boat I will keep you updated the doc said it could be quite a while for an appointment x
  • Posted

I do. Yesterday was particularly painful from T3 to C2. Nothing seemed to help except heating pads and deep tissue massage.

Upper back pain responds to deep tissue/trigger point massage, heat, NSAIDS, traction, muscle relaxers, or accupuncture. It varies as to what works best each time and for each person.

I have an inversion table (hang ups brand) and I use it for back traction along with a hot brown rice pillow, which you can heat up for 2.5 mins in a microwave each time. You can make one yourself with a large hikers or crew sock and 2 lbs.of brown rice, preferably organic. I assume that you can buy inversion tables on Amazon UK site? They do help for backs, not as much for necks.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Chiropractic helps sometimes too, if your condition is not too far advanced.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.