chronic urticaria

Posted , 6 users are following.

discussed approx month ago about coming of sertraline for stress related hives which exacerbated my IBS and one of the symptoms for these tablets was they can cause hives which I already had, my condition got worse so weaned myself off them.   I still suffer and parts of my skin has now become leather-like despite various moisturisers like E45, Nivea etc. I spoke to Holland & Barrett who recommendd several different things for hives so have started to-day to take Aconite pillules 2 every 2 hours for the frist 6 doses then 4 times daily for up to 5 days or until symptoms improve, if worse go back to doctor.(for some reason you mustn't touch but take them from the cap).I started to drink herbal teas too and found out that histamine is the main cause and eating foods,fruits, nuts etc that have high histamine levels make matters worse. I do not know why skin has become like it has when it wasn't when my hives started 5months ago.  Appreciate comments.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, often hives doesn't come on its own there can be other skin conditions that come with it. Your very dry and leathery skin could be eczema as well and if you are very stressed psoriasis, sorry if this causes you more worry.

• Posted

thanks for that info Lorraine, my hives only got worse after taking sertraline for my stress/anxiety, it was mild before that but drives me up the wall from late afternoon onwards.  I use moisturisers and they make my skin burn, it does wear off but I need to use something for the very leathery-like parts.....nightmare lol.

• Posted

Hi, Sheen.

My old friend, Bali found a cure for her chronic skin conditions by seeing a chinese herbalist. Just another suggestion I know. It's worth a try.

Love Page x

• Posted

Thank you for your help, there is one not far from me here so I will go and see what they recommend.   These aconite tiny pills do not seem to be helping, think they are mainly for stress but Holland and Barret sold them to me after looking up their records.   Case of try for a home remedyas I do not want medication from the doctor anymore.  I just wish I could find something to soften my skin since it got worse. E45, Nivea etc. etc. just seem to aggravate it more. :-(

• Posted

Hi just wanted to add that diet could be an issue, my immunologist told me about salicylate sensitivity and other natural and synthetic chemicals in foods, even in healthy foods and supplements. For example any kind of tea is one of the worst things to drink if you are salycilate sensitive.

If you've noticed any reactions to food (which can be hard to miss as they may come a few days later) then I would recommend googling fed up .com.au and the RPAH elimination handbook as you can read the first part of it free online and the Australian website fed up has a lot of good guides.

Wishing you the best X

• Posted

thanks Siobhan.   This all came about when I was going through a very traumatic stressful time with various members of my family having health problems.   I found out it is too much histamine in my body that causes the itching and many fruits, nuts and seeds which i had been eating were very high in this.  I have been looking up fruits etc. with low histamine levels. Also to cut out ready made meals, chocolate, coffee. So I am trying to watch what I eat which is mainly chicken and rice, or fish steaks and baked potatoes meantime and natural yoghurt with one of the low histamine fruits...blueberries.

• Posted

Hi Sheena, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I posted earlier, but I went on a very strict AIP diet and have total relief after almost a year of nothing else working. It's very easy to look up on the web, very hard to follow aass it is so restrictive but incredibly nutritious and it's the only thing that has completley cleared up my hives and restored my skin. I still take zyrtec and zantac until I am no longer afraid but for now this has been a miracle. I hope it works for you.

• Posted

thanks mimi for all your help.  I am now finding the skin on my shoulders and on my arms below the elbow are flaking as well as itchy. Thing is all the red patches look blistery too but they do not itch.  I have been finding savlon, of all things, helps for the itch.  My friend said she bathes herself with cold water and a spot of dettol to relieve the itch.   Just puzzling me how it appears and disappears.   I do watch what I eat now, mainly fish and chicken, rice, peas, natural yoghurt with blueberries and white grapes which are supposed to be low in histamine.  Just wish there wwas something I could buy to take instead of spending a fortune on creams etc.   Made my mind up to go back to see another doctor as my hives got worse with the sertraline tabs.(which were on fhe patients info.form.)

• Posted

thank you siobhan for your help.  I do still believe I was eating too much high histamine fruit,nuts and seeds so going to cut them all out for a bit as well as go back to see another doctor.   I take cod liver oil capsule every day along with my glucosomine(for my joints) and thought that would have helped but no!   Been rubbing in virgin olive oil which softens the skin but then it all comes back again,  Still under a lot of stress though and waiting for therapy which takes ages to get an appointment.  I do not want any more tablets for stress.lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.