Chronic vaginal irritation

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been dealing with recurring vaginal irritation for about 2 years now. It started with a yeast infection, which cleared up with fluconazole. But then the itching, burning, and irritation kept coming back. Sometimes my doctor will actually find yeast, but other times they can't find anything wrong with me. I've seen multiple doctors and they keep treating me for yeast infections, which seems to help sometimes but other times it does nothing. I'm careful to avoid potentially irritating frangrances and soaps and such so I'm pretty sure its not an allergy. One of the doctors thought it might be hormonal. I went on the depo shot soon after the problem started, and she thought that the shot may have lowered my estrogen levels and caused symptoms that normally happen to menopausal women (I'm only 20). I went off the depo shot and after a few months things seemed to get somewhat better. I would still get the irritation around the time of my period, but it would clear up afterwards. Then, a few months ago I went on birth control again, this time it was the progesterone only mini pill. After that it got worse again, it will get better for a couple days sometimes but it always comes back. I went off of the birth control about a month ago and it does seem to be helping a little, but its too soon to know for sure. I'm just really worried that it won't go away. It really decreases my quality of life, I'm uncomfortable, I can't wear the clothes I want to, sex is sometimes really painful, and I stress about it constantly. I was just wondering if anyone else had dealt with something similar, and if so what worked for you?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, and yes, I've gone through all of the above.  After researching it myself (doctors no help whatsoever) I eventually realized that I have what's known as Nightshade Sensitivity.  That is, I can't eat anything from the food group of the Nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, chilli, eggplant, tobacco, goji berries, capsicum).  These plants are all related.  If you have it (or develop it as I did) you get vaginal/rectal rash and burning sensation.  It's nasty and I only realized it was diet related after I had a bout of gastroenteritis and had to stop eating for a few days - and my symptoms, which I'd suffered from for seven years, cleared up like magic!  So when I got over the gastro, I re-introduced one or two food groups at a time over a few meals.  The symptoms reappeared after I had a serve of mashed potato.  I cut out potato and the symptoms disappeaed again.  Then one night I had some vegetarian pizza and there was my old itch and pain again.  By now I knew I couldn't take potato, so I looked at the ingredients in the pizza.  It had both red capsicum and tomato sauce on  it as topping.  Over several days experimenting the foods, I found that I also couldn't eat tomato and capsicum unless I risked the symptoms again.

Doctors don't seem to know much about Nightshade Sensitivy, but one dietician I went to told me that it is a relatively under-reported problem, since many patients just don't know what it is they are suffering from, and since we're mainly women, we tend to just "put up with it".  Which I find is an appalling reaction, seeing as so many of us really suffer with it.  

Try cutting out that food group, and for some immediate relief, you could also try taking an antihistamine a day.  I find it helps ease the symptoms, although the only way to really get total relief is to stop eating those foods that set off your sensitiviy.  The antihistamine I use is one containing Loratadine 5 milligrams and it doesn't need a doctors prescription (at least, not here in Australia).  I just buy it at the local supermarket.  

Good luck, I really hope this advice helps you!

Minamii

• Posted

That'll be tough but I'll try anything at this point, thank you!

• Posted

Please do keep me posted on your progress.  Good luck!

Minamii

• Posted

Hi, maybe you have Lichen Sclerosus. Take a look at the symptoms there and see if any match. You should ask for a referral to a vulva dermatologist. They will diagnose you properly by biopsy. Take photos too. On the NHS there is a list of them if you google it so you can point your GP in the right direction.
  • Posted

Hey, just wanted to respond to you, dont really have any helpful tips, but wanted you to know that you are not alone, and that I completely understand how hard and frustrating this is. I have also been dealing with vaginal irritation for about two years. I have gone multiple times to the doctor, sometimes being treated for yeast, sometimes being treated for bacteria. Like you my symptoms would get better for a while but then would come back full force.My last culture the doctor performed showed nothing, yet I am still experiencing chronic pain. Its sooo frustrating and depressing feeling like there is no hope or solution to the problem. Alot of natural websites claim that the imbalance in our vaginas is caused by refined sugar, so I have tried to completely cut it out of my diet. I also take probiotics, which seemed to be helping for a while but havent fixed the problem. I wish I could fix this problem for both of ussad 

• Posted

Hi, I'd advise you to try taking a non-drowsy antihistamine once a day to see if that helps.  If your problem is Nightshade Sensitivity, the antihistamine will cut out the itchiness within a couple of days.  Then at least you'll know what's causing it and just need to either cut all Nightshade plants out of your diet or else keep taking antihistamines.  

Minamii

• Posted

Gyno kept saying mine was yeast infection, but I’ve never had a yeast infection ever.  She didn’t know why the reoccurrences kept happening.  She couldn’t find anything else... no discharge, nothing.  Finally I prayed and asked the Lord to heal me of it once and for all.  I then realized it was because I drink so little water.  I began to flush myself out with WATER and the itch LEFT and hasn’t been back since.  Dehydration affects your female parts, along with concentrated urine which caused my itch.  It was GONE GONE in one day!  Now I try to drink water more often and before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning.  
  • Posted

PLEASE READ THIS LADIES!

Please have your doctor test you for Lichen Sclerosus!!

I suffered for years with the itch and medications that didn't work.

Saw a new dr 2 years ago. One look and she knew immediately what

it was. Prescribed Clobetasol. 05% ointment...miracle cure. LS is an

autoimmune disease that affects the tissue of the vulva and

surrounding areas. No cure but it is very manageable with the

proper treatment! I now use my ointment maybe once a month.

Can now live a pain free itch free life! Wish you all the best of luck!

• Posted

Gyno kept saying mine was yeast infection, but I’ve never had a yeast infection ever.  She didn’t know why the reoccurrences kept happening.  She couldn’t find anything else... no discharge, nothing.  Finally I prayed and asked the Lord to heal me of it once and for all.  I then realized it was because I drink so little water.  I began to flush myself out with WATER and the itch LEFT and hasn’t been back since.  Dehydration affects your female parts, along with concentrated urine which caused my itch.  It was GONE GONE in one day!  Now I try to drink water more often and before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning.  
  • Posted

im so happy i found your post. Ive been dealing with the same situation for several months now. My obgyn ran every test all negative. i changed soaps, laundry detergent, shampoo etc. still nothing improves. Ive seen a dermatologist also no clue. i do find some days are worse than others. the way you describe the itching and burning is exactly what im dealing with. i felt great for 2 weeks then ate indian food and im in so much pain again. is there anything you have used to stop the discomfort. how long did it take to get the foods out of your system?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.