Cipro antibiotic

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was late on two antibiotic doses and now my symptoms are worse than ever. what should I do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy

What are you taking Cipro for and what symptoms are you experiencing?

Plodding on

• Posted

cold (sinus infection). I have a severe headache, my entire head and face is in pain and muscle aches 
    • Posted

Andy, I don't know if you are aware that Cipro is a very different kind of antibiotic from others. It's never supposed to be prescribed as a first line defence ie., only to be given if all other possible antibiotics have been tried first and failed to cure the infection.

Did you have a swab taken to determine if you do actually have a bacterial infection or was it just assumed that you do?

Cipro can produce many varied Adverse Reactions, some can be permanent and extremely disabling. It can affect all parts of the body, often causing Musculoskeletal problems eg., joint and/or muscle pain and can damage tendons, including rupture. The adverse reactions can be severe and can be delayed too and contrary to what the patient info packet insert states, these ADRs are much more common than is suggested. They can appear months or longer after the antibiotic has been stopped.

Cipro and other Fluoroquinolines or Quinolones were designed to combat Anthrax or Community Aquired Pneumonia and not for simple Sinus infections. They are heavy duty antibiotics and although they can cure bacterial infections, they can cause you long term damage, far worse than the original infection.

I would ask you to consider reading about this class of antibiotic and requesting that your doctor prescribes you one from another class.

You can find links to further information regarding Cipro by following this link below. It takes you to a pinned post by the moderator here. I am not a doctor  but would advise you not to take any more Cipro, unless your life depends on it. 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Plodding on

• Posted

I didn't have a swab taken to determine if I actually have a bacterial infection, I think the Doc just assumed. 
    • Posted

If you don't know for sure you actually have a bacterial infection and you haven't tried other antibiotics first, then it is completely inappropriate for you to be prescribed Cipro or any other Quinolone and I can only suggest strongly, that you don't take another single tablet. Read around the discussions here and do some extra reading, Return to your doc and ask for a swab and a different antibiotic.n

There are guidelines surrounding the use of Quinolones, as they are actually  chemotherapeutic agents and I can't stress strongly enough that they can cause massive systemic damage, which can at the very least last years. They are wrecking lives and I'm not exaggerating - I wish I was.

Do some research and don't take any more Cipro, is my advice!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Plodding on

• Posted

Hi Andy, I've just seen this and Ploddingon's replies to you.  What they said is unfortunately very true, although your doctor may have disagreed.  You haven't replied yet so I just thought I'd chip in and say it was wrong for your GP to give you Cipro without knowing what was actually the problem, and wrong for your GP to tell you to continue with it if you've been back and said you don't want to take it any more.  It's your body!  There are many people, including my husband,  whose lives have been wrecked by these Quinolone antibiotics and all to often their doctors just shrug and say it wasn't them.  It was.  Look on this site for Quinolone or Cipro threads.
  • Posted

i was given cipro 3.5 yrs ago for a pain in the groin. Since then i ve suffered terribly, brain, joints , heart, sleep, fatigue and much, much more.   So now i am 20 times worse than pain in groin. The dr has not got a clue. Ask questions. Ask for a second opinion.

Prior to 3.5 yrs ago i was extremely fit and healthy, never at a drs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.