Cipro for UTI?

Posted , 5 users are following.

im looking for feedback on Cipro for UTI?I have never been on it,but hear it can have some yuckie side effects.I currently have a UTI and possible BV.My friend was telling me the Cipro can possible help the Bv as well.thank you 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please do not take Cipro, unless you've tried all other possible antibiotics and they've failed to clear it. I implore you not to take a single tablet if you have an alternative. Go to the discussions on Cipro /Ciprofloxacin and other Fluoroquinolones. They are really really dangerous... So not take them!

i'll post a link to a pinned post by the moderator here. Just a minute.

Plodding on 

• Posted

Thank you!!!!This is the reason I asked.I have been on levaquin before and did not like how it made me feel.Flu like symptoms and pain in the heels of my feet.I have tried it twice.I told my doctor to note in my chart that I do not ever want to be on it again after I researched.I googled Cipro and saw that it was in the same family.I have been hesitant on taking it also because I don't want to just take an antibiotic ( I have been on enough for sinus crap) w out confirmation.I had a urine test and it was negative but due to pelvic pain low back pain and burning my Dr said he was treating me for a UTI.

I have had BV in the past and pretty sure it's back.I believe BV can mimic UTI symptoms,not sure.I have an appointment with gyno next week.The kicker is that I also have IBS..Another thing that can cause these symptoms.So,this is why I am hesitant with popping another antibiotic.The  not knowing if its one thing or all three is making me crazy w worry.But,w a negitive urine test for UTI,I'm not comfy w the diagnosis.looks like I'm doing the right thing...soo appreciate your input.😊

• Posted

You're welcome. You need to never take any antibiotic from the Quinlone class again, especially as you've taken Levaquin before and had an Adverse Reaction - take your previous reaction as a warning. Next time it could literally crippled you. Levo hit both my Achilles and all the tendons in my feet and ankles,,heels....I was bedridden for nearly 6 months after and it took me another two years to be able to walk a little. Nearly 3 years out, I still have pain in those tendons and other ADRs. You may not even have an infection either, Docs are dishing it out for simple infections often unconfirmed and Quins are not supposed to be used ever as a first line defence. 

Good luck Kelly

Plodding on

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Please follow this link and generally read around the discussions.

Plodding on

• Posted

Holy smokes...now I want to kick myself for taking that crap in the past after reading....sooo glad I came here first..l hope you are getting better every day with the terrible effects.
    • Posted

Thanks I am getting better but it's been a long hard slog. So many people are being badly damaged by these abs. They are cumulative and some people seem fine after a course then the next just hammers them. Others are crippled by one tablet...very unpredictable! What country are you in?

Plodsing on

• Posted

I am in the US.You?

What's crazy is how can this still be on the market???I have told my Dr what I have read and he tells me stop googling.Why would you want to give this to your patients?I don't get it.So sorry to hear what you have been through.That is terrible.

what kills me is I'm sitting here with pelvic pain and no answers,just a bottle of Cipro that I will never take.uuugh

• Posted

I'm in the UK Kelly. On 5th November, a group of 35 US Floxies attended a hearing with the FDA. They all spoke and told how they'd been damaged by Fluoroquinolines. They were calling for stronger warnings on Quins eg.  Further Black Box warnings. If you search your news items for that day, you'll see the FDA came out in favour of looking into this further, as they believed the current package warnings weren't strong enough; look it up. Throw the Cipro away! This is a huge global problem.... Many Quins have already been taken off market but the drug companies move a few molecules around and rename them. Then these modified ones go back on market. They were designed to fight Anthrax and the US gave them to the Military after the Twin Towers were attacked. They are supposed to be kept back for Pandemics but the drug companies push them for everything. They threw Cipro all over Africa, in the fight against Ebola and now thousands of Africans suffer strange symptoms, like muscle and joint pain, plus fatigue etc. Look them up. Many people have lost their lives to Quins all over the world. Earlier this year, there were many TV news items about the dangers of Quins. Look them up. In the UK, group of us are beginning to try to make the authorities wake up and to alert people about them.

I could go on for hours about them...better stop....

Plodding on

• Posted

i am so greatful for your knowledge on this.Don't ever feel like your talking my ear off.I welcome the information and just to talk to someone when you don't feel well is comforting.

I STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE this crap is out there.I just flushed the Cipro and will never take it again...in any form.

• Posted

I'm going through exactly what your describing pelvic pain and a urine sample that's negative for infection the moment I knew that I'm negative for infection I didn't accept taking any antibiotics

Antibiotics are meant to be for infections but incase there wasent any why should I ??

Still though I have lower back pain and pelvic pain

• Posted

Your so right.Sometimes I wonder if all the belly problems I get come from to many antibiotics.Antibitics cause bad bacteria that forms in the stomach and can lead to other problems like UTI,BV etc.I am waiting for gyno appt to confirm UTI or somthing else.Then I will go on something if needed.

Did your pelvic pain come on suddenly?Mine was sudden and sometimes goes right into my groin area and alternates sides,Usually by night it is worse.The confusing thing is it sometimes radiates higher almost like true belly pains.I do have slight burning but more on the vagina then inside like a bladder infection.Do you have any of the other classic symptoms for UTI?

Sorry to hear you are going through this too😔

• Posted

my symptoms are exactly what you are saying and yes even my pain was very sudden but my pain was mostly in my lower back and in the front aswell

UTI's are really harsh and don't leave someone alone that fast 

I had colorful urine slight itching when urinating I also developed inguinal pan lately  

never take CIPRO I took Tavanic and now I am suffering horrible joint and muscle aches 

it started with a simple UTI ended up with horrible pain 

keep me updated after your gyno appointment 

get well soon 

• Posted

You too,keep in touch.Are you going to follow up w someone for the pain?Pelvic pain could be so many things for us women 😳
    • Posted

well yes I'm gonna follow up with a gynaecologist soon to make sure stuff are ok 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.