Ciprofloxacin

Posted , 2 users are following.

I jus started taking ciprofloxacin I can't swallow pills it says to not crush them but I have too so what is the reason not to an why they have an unpleasant taste but that dont bother me

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi jennie,

Can I ask if you've read any of the other discussions in the fluoroquinolone thread?  Most of them are about how people's lives have been ruined by the terible adverse reactions to this particular antibiotic!!

My next question is why have you been given this particular drug?  Have you had a persistent infection and tried various other antibiotics (ABx) prior to being given the Cipro?  Your doctor should know not to prescribe Cipro for a 'routine' infection that can be easily controlled by a less dangerous AB.

I think the reason you're not supposed to crush tablets is that they have special coatings to protect them from the acid in your stomach - to make sure you get the full dose delivered. 

Please don't take the Cipro unless this is a genuine life or death situation.  It's a very serious drug that can penetrate deep into every cell and do untold damage.  Look on websites such as floxie hope or click on Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics above your post here and read the first few discussions.  The top one was started by the moderator and gives several useful addresses.  Many thousands of people have been disabled to some degree by this terrible drug - don't become one of them.  

This is serious!

• Posted

The doctor said I had chronic sinusitis infection he didnt run any tests or anything when I was prescribed the medicine an I have talked to a pharmacist an they assured me its ok to take this medicine an I can crush it it jus has an awful taste thats all
    • Posted

Hi Jennie, I'm sorry you have chronic sinusitis and it's true that Cipro is often used to treat such infections.  Are you in the US?  The FDA announced last July that Cipro and the other fluoroquinolones are no longer to be given except in very serious cases because "the risks outweigh the benefits".  They say doctors should always use an alternative AB first.  Unfortunately they haven't communicated this to all the doctors - let alone the pharmacists.  If you have a package leaflet, please read about the side effects - these have ALL happened to people I know of.

If you're not in the US - it's still the same drug and here in the UK and Eurpoe we're fighting to get the same announcement as the FDA made.  Some people can take one course without problems (my husband did) then if they're given a second (or maybe third course) then WHAM!  all the side effects start to happen although some may take months (yes, months) to show up. 

Why would you risk it?  Search for the links I gave you to find out more if you want confirmation that I'm not a weirdo!  Then ask your doctor for a different (safer, i.e. not Levofloxacin etc which are the same group) AB.

Stay safe!

• Posted

It's a generic brand of cipro thats what it says on my paper work an if this stuff is so bad why do they still have it on the shelves

• Posted

Because it's licensed!  Very few doctors actually believe the symptoms are cause by the Quins which is why there are so mnay groups of affected people struggling to be listened to.  If you look on the links I gave you you'll see how mnay and what has happened to them.  I replied to you to warn you as I hate to hear about new people being floxed.

If you're happy taking them that's fine and probably none of these awful side affects will happen to you - but if you get prescibed a second or third course your chances of getting away with it get much less each time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.