ciprofloxacin & if it can affect levels of psa

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have registered but it is for my husband I am asking this question . he was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year & underwent an operation . When diagnosed his PSA was extremely high 38.00. Fortunately after 2 ops it was improving and reducing  & 3 months ago when he went for check up he was told he was in remission however the doctor said he might have a bit of inflammation & prescribed ciprofloxacin . However  after 2 weeks of taking them he had problems with his achilles tendon  extreme pain . On speaking to his gp they stopped the tablets however it's almost 2 months & the leg is still quite swollen plus the one doctor at the cancer clinic did not appear to be aware that this is a side affect of this drug. Also he has had another blood test and his psa has now started to go back up so they are now suggesting chemotherapy . I did ask whether the rise in the psa could have been caused by this ciprofloxacin tablets & the response was they didn't think so but to be honest I find it odd that he was doing so well & since they gave him this drug how it's gone in the opposite direction Has anyone experienced the same thing . he is very concerned as am I as to whether the chemo is necessary.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi carol, try the site floxie hope, it has alot of information.
  • Posted

Hi Carol

I'm so sorry that your husband was prescribed Cipro. It's the last thing he needed.....oh so common though!

I wish I could offer some info but afraid all I can do is to echo the advice given you by Gayle. If anyone can help here, it's Lisa and her site Floxie Hope. If you can't find what you need there, Lisa is always happy to hear from people directly, so don't be afraid to contact her.

I wish you and your husband well and I really hope he recovers quickly from both the FQ poisoning and the Prostate cancer.

Plodding on

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying . I will try the site floxie hope . Also thank you for your kind thoughts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.