Citalopram 10mg 9 weeks

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi, question, ive been with this drug for almost 9 weeks (10mg) depression has lessen but still i have morning anxiety and difficult to get up from bed...... Do i need to increase the dose or stick with it for several weeks....? 

Hoping for your reply 

thank you

1 like, 299 replies

299 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm only on day 12 and take 10 mg apparently for anxiety, I struggled for 5 month with gps telling me I had vertigo , labrynthitus and after a trip to ENT was told it was nothing to do with my ears so apparently the dizzes I was experiencing was due too anxiety. Was put on cit and am experiencing the dredded side effects such as being spaced out , increased anxiety and killer headaches, still new too this drug but hopefully it will work, what I will say through research and tralling forums 10mg is the smallest dose and some people can be on 40-60mg and feel great so maybe your docs could up your dosage hope you feel better soon x oh I and I hate getting up in the mornings but I have too as I have 6 children lol
  • Posted

Hey john.....

I am on cipramil also and it's been 9 weeks as well

I was on 10mil 2 weeks ago due to morning anxiety and also having 5 days anxiety and then 1 week good

This has been like this for a few weeks but getting better.....I am now on 20 mil and it's going good.

I think you might need to talk to you're dr about going up to 20 mil

But have to keep in mind that this will or can cause increased anxiety.

• Posted

Morning Vince and Welcome to the Club!,

Regarding Cita and increasing, talk it over with your Dr, I did with mine (and fortunately, she knows a lot about "sticking plasters for the brain!") and increased to 20mg after 5 weeks and basically 10mg each month until I reached the highest recommended in UK of 40mg. Not everyone needs to increase. Each time I increased I had side effects, but as I got used to Cita these were expected and lessened each time. This is not the same for everyone as not everyone suffers from the same side effects or the amount of intensity as others. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Good old ANXIETY! I didn't know I was suffering from the old angst until I started on Cita, but it was there and guess what? Cita causes anxiety to be able to treat it! There are many things it can treat and it does it, its way. Therefore just try and go with it, don't try and wrestle the oars to take control when yer spaced and fuzzy, you have to let go of them, let Cita do its job and gradually get better, slowly. You can take control as you get used to it and eventually get better.

No one can tell you what you will experience, but for me I had most of the side effects people here talk about, but not to the same degree with all of them. Some days I wouldn't get out of bed (thank goodness for duvets!), there were days I forced myself to get up only to end up curled up under a duvet we have down stairs. Then there were days I felt good and went outside into to town (accompanied by my fiancee) sometimes turned right around and went back home other times stayed out a little longer. It took me 3/4 months to go out on my own (and I'm a ex rufty tufty serviceman, not bothered by anything really kinda chap!).

All you have to do is take one day at a time, if you have a partner, Family member or friend that understands (or willing to learn - as mine did) that is a great help. Of course! You have us too! Probably the best support forum in the world!

So, keep reading, keep posting and keep asking even those questions you think are totally insignificant, someone will answer (we're all pretty nosey! LOL!).

Seriously, we have been there and are going through exactly the same so, why go anywhere else?!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, i was afraid of upping my dose , cause i been to 10mg for a year before and it works perfectly fine for me then i weaned off and after 6 mos anxiety comes back, so now im on 9 weeks at 10mg and hoping that it will work the same time i use it.... But my anxiety has lessen to a greater degree... Its just mood are still low at he moment and its hard to go up in bed... But once im up im ok...

Us it possible to increase the dosage to 20mg the after several months taper it to 10mg and settle for it as maintenance dose

• Posted

Hi John

When I was on 10mg it was the same for me. I have now upped my dose and for the first time in ages started to feel better. I do think your dose is very low and I would suggest a visit to your gp to get their view. Make sure you explain to them exactly how your feeling.

God bless

Lorraine x

• Posted

Hi John, 

when do you take your tablet? I found first thing in the morning best. I am on day 15 and started on 20mg. The only side effect I experienced was nausea for a few hours for the first week, after that, none really. Yesterday I was feeling stressed and am concerned that I will need my increasing but there again it is early days. Week 9 is still only early days, you should see your GP and tell him your concerns. I'm due to see mine next week... 

• Posted

Hi I take mine at 6PM and have no issue with sleeping just getting threw the first two weeks to be honest the symptoms havnt been that bad , just hope they start working soon but have heard it can take months to get the full benefits. Back at docs friday so we will see x
  • Posted

Hi John

When I recovered on these meds years ago, the early morning anxiety was the last thing for me to disappear.  Little by little you'll notice small changes - it really does take a long time to be completely recovered, so keep on as you are - you don't need to up your dose.  Whatever dose you're on, progress will still be slow and you'll probably find the early morning anxiety will disappear in time too.

• Posted

Hi John

Yes I'm still taking it and am now only on 5mg.  I started this type of medicine over 15 years on 20mg and I recovered from my depression andanxiety  that had plagued me for a good 15 years.  It took around 3-4 months to feel well and about 6 months before I felt truly symptom free.  I had all the usual side effects initially, nausea, heightened anxiety, tiredness, insomnia etc but after they wore off I began to feel better.  It happened so slowly though - each month I noticed little changes.  After many years I reduced the meds to 10mg and stayed on that dose for years.

I came off the meds 2 years ago and started a natural SSRI called 5-HTP which needs to be taken with l-tyrosine.  Both can be bought from Holland & Barrett (if you're in the UK) and you need to take them both.  Read a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray ........ it's a really interesting read.

You need to be off SSRI's completely before starting 5-HTP as they must not be taken together.

Something to think about if you ever decide to not stay on Cit.

I did however restart Cit a year ago when my son became quite ill and found the stress was making me feel I'll again, so I went back on them and am now on 5mg.  Again it took around 3-4 months+ to start feeling any benefit and am now much better again.

Taking this medicine was the best thing ever - it helped me regain my life back after living in a dark scary hole for so long.

K x

• Posted

I have been on cit for 12 weeks at 1st has some really nasty side affects but they go in timesmile with the sleeping Iam totally the opposite I really struggle to fall asleep so I changed the time to take tablets from 9pm to 9 am but no difference sadly but other than that 20 works brilliant for me
    • Posted

Hi james ,ty for your reply, how are you doing right now, im on 10 mg and i take it at 8pm, it works wonder for me during my first time with cit and i think its working for the second time...but gradually this time.... Morning anxiety is my only problem..but aside from that slowly getting to my old self.....
    • Posted

I feel great to be honest cit really has worked wonders I used to be a mess have 2 or 3 panic attacks a day but since been on 20mg of cit been like my old happy self again😄 I take my tablet at 9am now but still rubbish sleep but il rather Rubbish sleep then panic attacks

• Posted

Hey John, Thats quite normal anxiety subsides after a while its just the adapting to anti-depressants I foundwith me I had several side effects however they far out weighed the depression/anxiety symptoms I was having hang i there have faith its working buddy! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.