Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with atypical depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I was prescribed citalopram 10mg however when i first took it i was so high, completely zoned out and felt dizzy and nauseous . so i took 5mg and i still felt nauseous but less zoned out ... Is this a normal response for such a low dose or am i just sensitive to this med. Im really debating on sticking to this med or trying a herbal medication such as st johns wort... Has another had experience with either of these?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ohhh yes I was prescribed 20mg never taken antidepressants before, and I was so high and vomited and had the runs major panick attack was awful. Try sertraline
  • Posted

Hi Tina. My doc said to stay away from St John's wort. Cit will take its good ile time to work. Things get worse before they get better.

• Posted

Is there a reason he advised to stay away from st johns wort ?
    • Posted

Not really other than to say it doesnt work on depression. But if you speak to a different doc you may get a whole diff story. I would ask a pharmacist!!! Good luck.
  • Posted

Tina

The medication is terrible when you first start, I am on day 12 and one day is good then a bad. I hate it especially when christmas is around the corner and I have 4 kids. Luckly I have great support around me. I found St Johns wart terrible but it can work for some.

Renee

• Posted

Yes they are typical symptoms and some people are more sensitive than others. These side effects do wear off, but you do get side effects each time you increase too. They're a good meds and helped me recover from years of depression and anxiety.

There's also Escitalopram (prescription) which I believe produces less less side effects.

If you decide not to go down the route of prescribed meds though, I can thoroughly recommend 5-HTP which is a natural SSRI - take it with l-tyrosine. Both bought over the counter. Better then St Johns Wort, as it crosses the blood brain barrier as do SSRI's. Don't take either with any prescribed SSRI's though.

5-HTP and l-tyrosine give no side effects when starting or stopping.

However, perseverance with Citalopram is worth it in the end.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.