Citalopram and ibuprofen - help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I've been in citalopram now for about 6/7 weeks (I'm feeling much much better for anyone reading who is at the beginning of their cit journey!) but I now have a tooth abscess. For anyone who's had one, it's agony. I need to go to my doc to get antibiotics but I can't take anymore time off work as I've had so much recently (due to the anxiety - humph!).

Anyway I have read so many different things about citalopram and ibuprofen. Don't take it / you can take it for a maximum of 2 days / it's only a mild risk etc. does anyone here take it? I couldn't cope with the pain so I took one and now I'm worried!

Thanks x

Ps. I WILL ask my doctor but it's nighttime now and I'd just like other opinions

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ring NHS direct chick... That's what they are there for.

I know I'm allowed to take ibuprofen with my meds but they are not a Ssri so it may be different xxx

• Posted

Thank you Gillian - I took it and all seems to be fine but don't think I will again unless absolutely desperate. I've got antibiotcs to take now though so should be fine smile hope you're well xx
  • Posted

Ok online the majority of things say "no" but I'd ask the pharmacist or ring NHs direct xx
  • Posted

Hello Holly.

I can imagine how awful the pain is. Have you booked in with your dentist to have the first part of your root canal treatment??? Once you get the infected pulp removed, you will feel so much better. Have you had root treatment before? - it is usually performed in 2 parts.

don't fret about the ibuprofen that you have taken this evening. You will be absolutely fine.  Going forward, you can switch to paracetamol.

hope you feel better soon

take it easy

sleepy crow

• Posted

Thanks so much for a (as usual for you!) very kind post sleep crow. Much appreciated. My doc has now prescribed antibiotics over the phone, I'll go back to the dentist to get the treatment once the infection has gone

xx

• Posted

Your dentist can prescribe antibiotics - perhaps you can pop into your dentist before you head to work tomorrow?? 
  • Posted

Hi Holly

I have had no problem taking Ibuprofen whilst on Citalopram (10mg) 

I took it every time I had headache/back ache and for longer periods when hurt my shoulder. I have never been told not to take it so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Posted

...I spoke to my very trusted Doctor and FYI she said:

Yes you can take ibuprofen with citalopram. They only don't recommend long term as risk of stomach ulcers.

BUT everyone is different so I would always speak to your own doctor if unsure

x

• Posted

im worried about the very same thing. i wanna take buprofen but im wiorried it will make my tummy bleed. last thing we need is more difficulties.  best of luck xx i know we can definately take cocodamol, but yesterday the quack gave me an antoinflamitory like ibuprofen called indometacin and i know for fact it  made my tummy bleed for half an hour as i was in a not so nice pain below me belly button. good luck with absess x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.