Citalopram and Mitrazapine combination

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone hope your all well!

I have been on Citlopram for 8weeks now going from 10mg to 30mg. After i found little improvement and still feeling dreadful and along with Citloprams side affects too. I WASstill crying most of the time, thought i was going crazy need i go on. I spoke to my Doctor he said to try Mitrazapine starting at 15mg along with a reduce dose of Citlopram at 20mg. First day with this amount was really strange and a kind of hungover feeling and the following three days seem to get better and better. The racing thoughts had slowed and more importantly i wanted to get up amd actually get dressed. I was in a great mood and thought finally the old me was on its way back. What a relief for my mom and partner!!. Started to make plans as to when i thought id be getting ready to go back to work holidays etc etc. On the 4th day my doctor told me to reduce the Citlopram to 10mg and increase the Mitrazapine to 30mg. The next several days ahead i dippped and dipped even futher in to a low low mood. After the CPN visited and i got upset not understanding as to why id had these great days and then dipped. The Doctor rang the next day and i explain how i felt and said he would visit the following day. After my visit from the doctor he suggested i tapper down to 15mg Mitrazapine along with sticking to 10mg Citlopram.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS EXPERIENCED?

Id like to hear your responses

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I took Citalopram for about 3 months before starting Mirt.  I ran with both of them for about 3 months, then my doc said to stop the Cit' but I took advice from this forum and reduced it slowly over a period of probably 5 weeks.  I started and stayed on the 15mg Mirt for about a year before starting a very slow taper.

From reading your story above, in my humble opinion, I would say that dropping Cit so fast wouuld cause a real shock to your system !  Doctors !!!  So this is your meds time line:

day 1 started 15mg Mirt, cut Cit' from 30 mg to 20 mg

day 4 cut Cit' to 10 mg & increase Mirt to 30mg 

A day or 2 later drop the Mirt' back down to 15 mg

I'm concerned about the very fast drop off Citalopram, although it isn't the hardest to come off, you may well very ill with brain zaps maybe?

I've read many times that people going from 15mg to 30mg Mirt have difficulty, see how you go on the 15mg, doctors are keen to get you up on the doses if the results aren't too good, but no, not many get on well with the 30mg of Mirt.

The lower doses of Mirt' are more sedating, the higher doses are more often used for depression (30 & 45 mg) but 15mg may work for you, see how you go. Also worth a mention - doctors usually prescribe the 15mg Mirt for several weeks to enable your system to get used to it, and only later when all is well do they increase the dose.  I think doctors should be trained better with AD's, sending folk spiralling into a nervous and suffering state because they are prescribing wrongly is very unprofessional - rant over ! 

Citalopram never helped me either, I wasn't unlucky to get side effects like you did initially Kerry, but it was a waste of my precious time when suffering.

How many days is it since you dropped from 20mg of Citalopram?  I wonder if you would be better going back to the 20mg if it is only a matter of days and not weeks, then keep to that for another several weeks, then rethink your wd plan from the Cit, see how you are though.

Best wishes Kerry, hope you soon feel settled  x

• Posted

Hi thank you so much for your reply!

Its been 8days since i dropped down to 10mg Citalopram and I seemed that the Citalopram wasn't working but maybe it was slightly im not too sure now. My Mitrazapine dose has been dropped to 15mg for 2days now and had previously been on the 30mg from 15mg for 5days.

Sometimes i do feel that the professionals need to be more informative as you never know what to expect at all.

I rang the home treatment team last night as i was so upset and they said they will get the my Prodoc to call me this afternoon to prehaps give me something to help with the withdrawel.

Hope your well

Thank you again x

• Posted

Forgot to add i have felt as though ive got a heart beat sensation in my head, especially when i rest my head against things. I've had a bad headache the past day too. Generally in a low low mood and feel like im back to day one all over again.

X

• Posted

being at 30 mg Mirt for 5 days and now at 15mg Mirt for the last 2 days ... a bit confusing for your nervous system, but I think after a while you will settle on the 15mg Mirt, you may feel calmer soon as the 15mg can be quite sedating and will help you once youu are settled on a dose, and stay there for some time.

Any wooshing, swishing or throbbing of the head is bound to be the switching about of the AD's, I think its important to try and stabilise on the dose, see how this goes for you, give it time ... are you sleeping ok?  

Wishing you well, best wishes x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply

Im hoping thats all i need the dose to be settle in my system. Spoke to the doctor yesterday afternoon and he had now up the Citalopram to 20mg.

I have been sleeping really well 10 plus hours a day along with vivid dreams every night.

Thats all i keep thinking its time just getting a little impatient now need to go back to work and starting getting back to normal.

Hope your ok

X

• Posted

Hi Kerry

Yayy I think that is best for you, 20mg Cit and stay at 15mg Mirt', do nothing else, no more drops until you are stable, and you will soon be stable.  Read up on tapering off Cit, take it nice and slow, but I wouldn't do anything for a week or two, you will settle and feel better again soon.  

I think I broke Cit in half for one day a week to begin with, say a Monday - so just took half a dose this day, then after 2 weeks broke tablet in half 2 days say Monday and Friday, then 3 days a week, then 4 etc ... wasn't a problem, Cit' isn't hard to come off but not in one go or 50%.

Mirt' causes vivid dreams and gives wonderful sleep, not suprised its 10 hours!  I am tapering off now as I have been on Mirt' sincer September 2014 and need to see if I'm well again smile  Going slow, will get there but slowly eventually !   

You'll get back to work ok soon I'm sure, just need to get your confidence back after the upping and downing of the meds which upset you.

x

• Posted

Hi Calmer

Thats what im praying on now im at the right doses where i felt much better. I've got the next 3 weeks off work at least to go with the last 8 i've aldready had. Just need to get cracking on 4 uni assignments now unfortunatly so hoping i get there so can do these.

• Posted

So you found the whole tappering off Citalopram ok then? dreading the whole coming off the meds one day too. Did you feel Mitazapine and Citalopram mad a big differene to how you were feeling? Wow i wish you well with your tappering off!! Light at the end of the tunnel.

The dreams are very real life and a bit strange at times.

Have been eating so much hard to eat healthy when im so so hungry lol.

Everyone says you will get there slightly giving up hope, except a glimmer of the old me last week.

X

• Posted

Hey kerry

I came off the citalopram just fine smile understand you are worried but I promise it's not as bad as you think

The mirtazipine will keep you stable

I went from 40 to 30 held for 2 weeks sometimes more depending if i had anything important coming up the drpped 10 again and repeated

Was ahxious when I jumped off but kept myself busy and after 2 weeks it was over. Felt great to have my 1st little victory.

Just avoid difficult situations and people.

Hope this helps you

S x

• Posted

Hi Kerry

Coming off Cit was quite easy yes, I was just cautious, and didn't want to get sick again!  The doc' left me on both, and to be honest I did have a little serotonin syndrome, which I was quick to pick up on, but still went off slowly.  

You sound like you have to be firing on all cylinders for the Uni assignments smile  I don't think coming off Cit' will rock your nervous system as long as you don't jump off too quickly.

The dreams do disappear eventually, just the odd one now and then, bizarre but quite entertaining hey !!

• Posted

Hi Suzannah

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that you came off Cit and Mit rather well. Well done you should be so proyd of yourself!! Great achievement for yourself x

• Posted

Hi Calmer

Getting sick again is the last thing id want happening after getting better. Nice to hear you came off Cit well too. Not looking forward to these uni assignments haven't get the head for them at the moment. The dreams can be annoying, as they seem to be getting more upsetting hopefully they will slow down soon. Thank you for your replyx

• Posted

Morning kerry

I'm not off the mirt yet only just starting my journey with that

S x

• Posted

I am now

Went from 45 to 30

Am in day 12 and boy am i paying for it

Going to doc on Thursday am going to ask about the liquid

S x

• Posted

Well done so far. You will get there. You will have to let me know how you get on with the doctor x
    • Posted

I will do smile

I've started a feed and intend on updating a little every day so i and everyone else can keep up with the process

Will check in on you too

Hope you settle soon

S x

• Posted

Hi Suzannah

Ill have a look at your feed be interesting to see.

Thank you me too xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.