Citalopram for Anxiety - New member's experience so far...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm a 62 year old male and have never had any issues with anxiety or depression all my life. I'm successful and have a good marriage, good career that has been very rewarding and have great children, in-laws, grand children, etc. 

But, my parents' health is failing rapidly and my 80 year old mom is in the hospital now recovering from a broken hip. My 87 year old dad has had several issues the most serious was a heart attack in '96 that the drs said he would not survive the night from but miraculously did. My mom has had two strokes, a mastectomy, blood clots, and now this broken hip. On top of all that, she has also been suffering from worsening dementia and cannot recall what she ate her previous meal. 

I have always been very close with both of my parents and especially my mom. I am the oldest of 5 children and the only son. My GP thinks this stress is the driver for my anxiety. Two of my sisters are very supportive and help my parents as I do but other two do not and are a problem trying get them to help.

My anxiety symptoms are fairly classic from what I've read. I have a general feeling of dread or doom, certain that something bad is going to happen but not sure what it is. I've lost 15 lbs in the last 10 days due to no appetite and have lost interest in what used to be my favorite hobbies. I do not feel depressed or sad, just very, very anxious most of the time.

The symptoms started about 6 months ago with sleep issues. First, I would wake after a dream that had a recurring theme - I would dream I was trying to get through a tight spot or opening and would get stuck. Also, if I saw something on the TV that indicated someone getting stuck, it made me feel anxious. 

Then, the awakening in the middle of the night increased and I could not go back to sleep after the dream. I would have a rush of feeling that something bad was going to happen with the typical physical symptoms of a rapid heart beat, super-anxious, etc. That would usually take an hour or so to pass but eventually it would.

Then a month ago, I started feeling anxious during the day. Very anxious. I was taking 2 Tylenol PMs at night just to get a decent night's sleep. That seemed to work for the night problems but did not help for the daytime anxiety.

So, two weeks ago I contacted my Dr who after a lengthy visit and discussion said this was all due to my parents' worsening health and worry about them dying which I know is coming. I do not consciously feel that I worry about that - I know it is a fact of life. My birth father died suddenly in 1979 due to a heart attack and I do not recall any issues over that. But this is different.

So, my Dr prescribed 10mg/day of Citaprolam. I was very concerned about the side effects I read and from the posts I read on this and other forums so I delayed starting it untiil last Saturday. But after a particularly bad Friday and Saturday, I took the first pill that evening.

My initial experience was that I slept fairly well the first two nights. But I woke up both Monday and Tuesday nights having to go to the bathroom around 0330 and could not fall back asleep - I felt anxious immediately upon awakening.

During the day starting Monday, my anxiety has returned with a vengeance. Today however, it seems a little more subdued but I am so worried it will strike again. The fight or flight feelings are horrible.

I'm hoping I can get through these initial side effects. I want to feel like 'me' again and I know my parents are not going to live forever. And I want to be able to get through the day without feeling like bad things are about to happen.

I have another appointment with my Dr next week to follow up so hopefully the Citalopram will begin to kick in by then but I also know it may take 4-6 weeks. 

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? Thanks to all for this forum and the encouragement it provides.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello there

Sorry to hear about your parents' health.

And sorry you have gone throu that anxiety. Most of us when we start the med we get side effects. In my case the worse was my anxiety got worse. Even worse than before started .... But dont worry you will get better for sure.

You have done the right move going to the doctor for your anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and encouragement. I really appreciate it.
  • Posted

I'm sorry you are having a hard time I can understand with your parents. I lost my mom last year at the age of 74 and my dad is 80 and in pretty fair health but now going down hill. I have suffered with these systoms for many years. I am on zoloft and xanax. I was having some terrible days for months and they upped my meds. I know it's only a bandaid but it makes a difference with trying to deal with these feelings all the time. I hope you try the meds and everything works out. Best of luck with your parents.

• Posted

Hi Thumper

So sorry you have developed anxiety.. It seems to have crept up on you and we wonder why...

I was the same 57 good life, good job fantastic family etc etc, and i started last september.

There is light at the end of the anxiety tunnel. besides the medication thére are lots of self help things you can do to help.

I got so fed up and it got me down waking every morning with that anxious feeling and i could tell it was starting to affect my work.. And was worried that my collegues would notice.

So i did so much research on everything i could find about anxiety and the symptoms it causes...

Oxford Univeristy was the best i found for information on their health studies. I listened to some lectures on how mindful meditation had proven studies that after 8  weeks of doing mindful meditation  symptoms had improved by 50%.

UCLA mental health studies showed the same.

So i started 2xdaily doing it... and i wont lie it was hard to master but i stuck with it and i started to improve daily.

I also did a self referal for some CBT after chatting with my GP and 4 days after doing referal on line they phoned me with an appointment.

And that was a good help also.

I am 95% better now thank god... And i keep up with all the skills i learnt along the way... to help make sure i stay well.

If you dont want to do the research you can find some of their shorter video's on You tube. Just type in either mindful meditation for beginners or mindfulness at Oxford Univeristy health and they do some 10  minute guided ones.

Be gentle with yourself eat well, when your appetite picks up Try ginger tea for that. Drink more fluids and get as much fresh air as you can.

If you are in the UK get in touch with age concern to see if they can give you support and advice for your parents. It is a stressful time for you all but there is support out there.

Let us know how you get on xx

Take care 

Gill

• Posted

Hello Thumper,

You need to give your medications time to work and you understand that. It may be your Doctor will increase your medication dose next time you visit the Surgery.

I would hope a course of CBT may help in the near future, this will give you coping skills. We can short circuit these coping skills by explaining two of them in the first instance.

Mindfulness is a Relaxation Technique that can help you control your feelings of Anxiety and Depression, while Breathing Techniques can also help you control your moods. Both have an explanation in Related Information section below.

There are groups who deal with Dementia and Arthritis, look in Groups Mental Health for various places you can get some further support.

My Father died with Alzhiemers and I looked after an Aunt who died with the same thing about five years ago. Because of the conditions nod of attack it may be an idea for your family to get together and discuss how you want to handle this type of problem as the Dementia proceeds. A Power of Attorney may need to be taken out so you can act on your Mothers Behalf. The Court of Protection can also look after sufferes estates.

It is never easy when our family members become old and we need to understand you need to be firm and kind and help them through their final periods.

You will be suffering many mixed feelings, you will need to be able to discuss with family members what is going on and accept some very trying times.

Whatever you decide it always helps to talk with your parents about past times and you may need some counsilling  to put things in perspective.

Remember it is good to talk with all family Members if needed and you will need time of to refresh your own feelings. It is not unusual to feel the way you do. Delegate if possible to other family members

BOB

• Posted

Thank you to all who have kindly and so compassionately replied. Yes, it is a very difficult time with the problems for my parents much less to add this anxiety on top of it. 

I was just having lunch with my son and in the middle of our conversation a wave of anxiety flooded through me. We were not even discussing anything related to my parents/his grandparents yet it just overtook me. 

That is what I struggle with trying to comprehend. I will definitely look into the resources gill and borderriever mentioned in their replies. 

Thank you all again.

• Posted

Thats the worse thing , it happens when you least expect it.. And thats what is why you struggle to understand it. 

I was walking on a beautiful beach last October in gorgous sunshine not a care in the world or so i thought.. Then bam it came from nowhere .. What !! where did that come from ... We had gone away to help me destress from a hectic work schedule .. It was lingering at the back and attacked when i was leäst expecting it..

We covered that in CBT and it's common... Your brain is full of everything and is just not firing on all cylinders at this moment but it will you will get there.

You are bigger and better than anxiety 😊

• Posted

Hi Gill. Thank you for your reply - your attack happened just like mine; out of nowhere and just when I think I might be feeling a little better then it comes like a wave and overtakes me. 

Thank you for sharing that.

• Posted

Hiya. I am sorry to hear about your parents health. They must be glad to have such a caring son (and daughters) tof look after them. I believe my anxiety started after my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. Although her initial diagnosis was positive I found myself not being able to sleep and waking in the middle of the night after having disturbing dreams. I was prescribed propranolol to take as and when needed and I found these helped and I felt a lot better. Then, just after Christmas my cousin died suddenly from a heart attack and this has made my anxiety come back with a vengeance, I am constantly feeling like something bad is going to happen and I have no control over it. I genuinely believe that our subconscious affects our feelings towards this. I too have a happy family like and good career and it is so difficult to try and control these feelings/thoughts. . I feel at times that I am going mad as my brain just won't switch off and I know how I am feeling doesn't make sense to others but it's tough trying to explain it to others.

• Posted

Hi Sazzled - thank you for your reply and I'm sorry you are going through this too.

Yes, the brain not switching off is what I experience a lot and it is horrible when I would try to focus on something or try to rest at night. I was taking 2 Tylenol PMs each night just in the hopes of getting some decent sleep. 

I'm too new in this treatment/recovery process to give advice but I do want you to know that, while I am experiencing different situations that are apparently driving my anxiety, I am suffering a lot of the same symptoms and they do sound common.

The anxiety emotion - fight or flight is a perfect description for my symptoms - is very powerful. Only those of us who have to deal with its effects can truly understand how hard it is to deal with from the inside.

At least we are not alone.

• Posted

Just an update as this is day 6 with the Citalopram - because I had trouble falling back asleep a couple of nights if I woke up during the night, my Dr advised me to try taking the Citalopram in the morning. So I took it yesterday late afternoon in preparation to take it this morning, But - I was so tired and sleepy I could barely hold my eyes open the rest of the evening. One time while watching tv with my wife, i actually dozed off so suddenly I jumped and startled my wife.  

I'm thinking I should just keep taking it in the evening becuase I don't think it is actually causing me to have insomnia; it was just that if I did awaken my mind would race and anxiety would start to race back in.

And last night, I slept well and even though I did have to get up at 330 AM for another bathroom visit I went right back to sleep and slept until the alarm went off.

Thank you in advance for all replies. 

• Posted

All positive steps on your road to recovery.

Keep it up.

It just shows how strong we all are.. It takes great strength to deal with the delibitating symptoms on a daily basis. But we do it ....

My lovely other half tried so hard to understand when the anxiety was high , but unless someone has been through it , they can never fully understand how horrible it really is.

Thankfully it's so much easier now and life is good.

So never ever give up hope.

Warrior not worrier xx😊

• Posted

Today I am feeling more anxiety for some reason but I have no idea why. I had a decent night's sleep but did wake up a couple of times before the alarm went off but did go back to sleep fairly quickly. 

I don't feel a lot of anxiety at this moment but as anyone who deals with this knows, a little goes a long way. It was there as soon as I woke up and has been present all morning. Ugh...

And another odd symptom (for me anyways) is that the weirdest external sources seem to bother me and can elevate the stress level. Seeing something on the news, missing something on TV and having to rewind just to make sure I know what I saw was correct, not seeing the logo on the back of car (I feel a need to go back and make sure what it was), and other strange inange things like that are more 'important' today. It is so frustrating.

And there are other things too... Things like making sure the towel is hung perfectly straight, making sure some items are aligned symetrically, and other weird OCD-like symptoms. I don't find myself repeating tasks over and over but it's like a mid-level need to make sure what I see and touch are in order. I try to fight it telling myself that I am just being silly and that it is not important. Yet, those anxious feelings pop right up. I have never felt any Obsessive Compulsive behavior/driver in my life but now it seems to be right in my face. 

It just seems like I am forced to 'feel' this way and it is so very uncomfortable. When the rare moments in the day come that the anxiety seems maybe a little less prevalent, it still sort of feels that it is there just beneath the surface. And then - bam! - it comes back. And for no cognizant reason I can determine.

I sure hope this goes away soon.

• Posted

Bless you.. It is weird isnt it how things that never ever bothered us before.. do when you have anxiety.

I put the tidying and needing to straighten a towel or put a pair of shoes straight down to feeling in control. Might be wrong 😊

I could never figure out why it would come on at strange times.

Mornings were always worse for me too. Thats why i started doing the mindful meditation in bed as soon as i woke up anxious ..it worked for me..

My desk at work always looked like a car crash.. But when my anxiety was high .. i had to have everything in order .. and write neat little to do notes. I felt a clear desk was a clear mind....I should have kept that up , as it's car crash again now .. Which is a bonus shows me i'm getting a clearer calmer mind.

Keep working on coping skills to get you through the rougher times. My fav thing that really helped was my own personal mantra... If any one could have heard inside my head they would have thought i had lost the plot.. but it worked.

I used to say to myself in my head .. I am calm  I am strong I can do this... It really helped in high anx situ's.

I told the guy where i had CBT about it , thinking he would be horrified .. He actually said "what a good idea" so that made me feel better.

Stay strong.. Know it will get easier... You will come out the other side stronger than ever.

Be gentle on yourself and take care x 

• Posted

Hi Gill, what you wrote was exactly what I needed to read. I do really appreciate your words of support and encouragement. 

I will definitely use your mantra. I really like its message.

Thanks again and it is always nice to hear from those who have made it through to the sunshine again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.