Citalopram increase and side effects

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello..

So to begin my whole life I have had bad anxiety and this last year has hit me harder than ever. In april I saw my doctor who prescribed me 10mg of citalopram for 2 weeks then 20 mg after that. About 5-6 weeks later I felt great and like myself again I was so happy. I wasn't ocer worrying as much and I felt relaxed. Then the end of August I started getting anxious again. So I went to my doctor who upped my dose from 20mg to 30mg. I am on day 12 of the increase and I feel like anxiety is worse. I can't sleep proper, I wake non stop super anxious and scared. And have this horrible scared anxious feeling most of the day and sometimes in the evening it gets a little better. I heard that an increase can cause side effects again and can last three weeks... Is this what is happening to me?? I am afraid it's just not working for me anymore but I really want it to work. I am sick of feeling this way.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Isabel. Yes if you increase the dosage u can have some side effects. In fact I think most ppl do get them. U will level off though so stick with it.
    • Posted

I hope it just the side effects and that it levels off soon. It was day 12 of the increase today. It gets hard to stay positive and think that I will feel like me again.
  • Posted

You are not alone in this,  I have been on citalopram for almost 10 weeks now. 2 weeks on 10mg, 6 weeks on 20mg and day 12 of 30mg. My anxiety has gone through the roof again, dry mouth, early waking with anxiety and negative thoughts, even the nausea and loss of appetite have returned. I do think it's the increase in dosage as many of the side effects had calmed down for me and it's a huge knock down as you know, you try to be confident and tell yourself it's going to get better but it's hard to see through it sometimes. I read somewhere that going on citalopram is a roller coaster ride and they were not kidding. I'm hoping that things will settle as I long to feel relaxed again and not fearful of everything! I'm sure we'll get there just try to think that each day good or bad is a step closer to being better again.

take care and keep strong.

• Posted

I find it so hard to not be fearful sometimes. I fear that this won't go away and I'll feel this horrible anxiety and nausea and fear forever. I hope it's just side effects from the increase and that the medication helps me again coz it worked great for me before the anxiety came back. It was day 12 of my increase from 20mg to 30 mg. So I am hoping the next few days I get longer times where I feel better.

• Posted

I am also on an increase from 20 to 30mg. I was on 20 for 3 months and I have been in 30 for 1 week. I have a strange feeling in my head and ears. I feel off balance at times and my eyes don't focus sometimes. The anxiety got worse when I went up to 30mg. I am hoping that I level out soon. Good luck to you in your recovery.

• Posted

How is it going for you?

I am on day 13 as well and still unbelievably nauseas I can't eat and super anxious. I feel so frustrated I just want to feel better again. I almost feel like I am getting worse. So hard to get the negative thoughts away. I wake non stop in the night so anxious. I just want to cry I want to feel ok

• Posted

Today is day 13 of my increase to 30mg. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing worse than before. I can barely eat anything. So nauseas and insane anxiety. I feel like crying. I just want this to go away. I want to feel better again. I am afraid ill always feel this way
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel, I've been through the whole anxiety roller coaster before 3 years ago and I can tell you with confidence that you WILL get through this. You are still you but you're just being affected at the moment by this awful anxiety. I honestly think it's the side effects back due to the increase. Try not to put a time limit on it, I can't bear the bad days and it does make me think I'll never be me again but I know I've done it before. This is my first time on citalopram and I have to say it's been an adventure I think I've had every side effect going, the nausea,insomnia and negative thinking (heightened anxiety) it's hard to tell what's you and what's the tablets. Unfortunately there's no magic quick fix but you've come so far. Try writing down positive things you've managed, whether it's going for a walk or even something as small as putting your make up on. Have you got any diazepam? Sometimes that can help you sleep at night if the anxiety is bad! I've had a better day today but this morning was hard, my new thing is to clean to music to distract myself..... My house has never looked so good 😆! I promise you can do this! It's the anxiety that makes us doubt ourselves and the fear can be overwhelming! Here whenever you need a chat you're not alone. You're stronger than you think. Take care.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this Sarah. I'm in an awful state as I no longer take any tablets at all. I am so fed up and very frightened. Lisa Xx

• Posted

Hey. No I don't have any diazepam

Today is day 15 of the increase. Yesterday evening I felt almost normal and wasn't really anxious and was able to eat and relax. And I fell asleep pretty fast. But this morning woke with full anxiety again and nauseas. Just want this to stop. I thought after 15 days it would go away. It's so hard to not focus on it. How was your day 14 and 15??

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel for me soon??

• Posted

Hi, I've had eight days where out of the blue the morning anxiety and nausea stopped!!! It felt wonderful and reminded me of what it felt like to be relaxed and not afraid. Had a bad nights sleep last night and woke at around 3am and couldn't stop the negative thoughts so by the time I got up I was nauseas, anxious and frustrated. The tablets have obviously started to work as my appetite had returned too, I just find it crushing to get the anxiety back but I also know it's part of the recovery that we have good days and bad. Just need to accept that this is normal and keep going. I also feel like because I've been back to my old self everyone in the family will be annoyed that i don't feel good again! How are you doing today??

• Posted

I am doing ok. I get afraid to think I am doing better for it to be taken away from me. Silly I know but I just get afraid it will get so bad again. Day 22 of the increase for me. Mornings still are anxious etc. But today I was actually able to eat breakfast which I haven't been able to do in weeks

• Posted

That's great news even things like breakfast are a huge breakthrough. I get afraid too but eventually the longer you feel better even after the odd off day you will lose that fear, I know this from experience. Keep going you're doing great. Unfortunately I'm having a bad time of it again just trying to work through it with the help of my family (again) it's exhausting. I tell you all to stay positive but on the bad days it seems impossible. It's so good to talk to you all today as I feel afraid again and you all understand what I'm going through.

Take care Sarah

• Posted

Hey just wondering how your days have been.

The last week I felt like I was doing better. The last three mornings I didn't have to run to the bathroom in the morning to barf and gag but yesterday on and off was anxious and feeling crazy anxious today and crying. Feeling like I am back to the beginning and it will be all bad again. my period is due any day now so not sure if it's that making it worse? It's day 33 of the 30 mg increase so just over 4 weeks...how have your days been ?

• Posted

How have your days been now? How has the increase been?

Been just over 5 weeks for me ...

• Posted

Things have really improved over the last couple of weeks. I hit a huge low on Monday 10th Oct I was mess felt totally back to square one! Then things started to improve again and I even manage to go on holiday (in this country) for the half term week and I didn't have any anxiety at all it was like I was free from it all. Came home and still felt great so been rushing around all week enjoying the feeling and probably over doing things as you do when you've got a family to take care of. I feel like I've needed to make it up to them all but in some ways I've neglected myself! Awoke this morning feeling anxious and nauseous so cross with myself and therefore putting myself under more pressure! So I'm back to not eating again (probably not a bad thing as I ate my weight in fish and chips and clotted cream scones last week). I'm know it's just a bad day and I hope it proves that we can still have good times but this whole thing is so up and down! We WILL get there!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.