Citalopram reactions

Posted , 7 users are following.

I feel your pain. I've been on citalopram for about 3 weeks now, 20mg, and 2 weeks in I've started feeling just terrible. All the side effects, sweats, insomnia, NO appetite and worsening depression/anxiety, going on a week of feeling this. I finally called my doc yesterday and she said it sounds like I started on too high of a dose and told me to lower it to 10mg and give it a little more time. I'm just so scared that I will always feel like this, I've been on citalopram in the past and never reacted like this, which scares me that it's just me and not the meds.... Please tell me I'm not alone here and it will get better! Has anyone else been told they started too high of a dose? Or worsening depression? I didn't feel depressed before, just anxious, but now I feel depressed too.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Reese I felt awful for 6 days and am on 10mg I had no appetite and couldn't sleep but it calmed down and I'm much better now please stick with it you will feel better soon

Debbie

• Posted

Did you ever feel disconnected from loved ones? Idk if it's just bc of everything altogether but I feel so sad and scared that I will continue to feel this sudden distance from my husband and son. my son is only three and I love him more than anything in the world, but this past week even being with him doesn't help the sadness and that scares me.

• Posted

Hi yes I did I felt like my parents where strangers but I told myself to stay positive and I ignored the feelings and they did pass I'm sure you will get back to normal soon you really wil

• Posted

Thank you debbie, your words have helped fill me with some hope. I'm trying to just tell myself I'm not going crazy and it will get better

• Posted

Your definitely not going crazy I felt I was but I'm not lol and I know it's hard but hi for a little walk fast paced when your feeling a bit off it makes you feel better

• Posted

It wont stay like this, it will change and you will feel better. I felt that I had gone away I didnt know myself anymore. My husband said he felt like he lost me. Its so scary, I know how you feel. People told me I would feel myself again, I did. Hope you are getting the support you need not just med
    • Posted

Can I ask your experience on citalopram and what dose and how long you've been on ans how long it took you to feel better?

• Posted

I feel sorry you are not getting any relief from your medication. As your GP has explained try reducing your dose for a few more weeks and hopfully you will feel the benefit from Citalopram. It is strange when we stop taking the drug then go back on it again it can still take a time to get benefit once more.

Keep a hold and Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

Reese, I had very similar experience, 20 mg was too high for me , I stuck with it for 12 weeks but my depression got worse & side effects never left. After discussing with my doc I reduced to 10mg & instantly felt better, after a great month I reduced again & have now just come off them. Although I had a rough time on 20mg it did fix me once I came of as I've been fine for over two months now.

• Posted

I've been on Citalopram for so many years that I don't really remember how I was feeling except I was suicidal and very depressed at the time so anything was better than the way I was. At that time I was on 60 milligrams of citalopram. It doesn't come that high anymore the highest milligrams is 40 and that's what I take now. However I'm looking at a to drop down to 20 because I just started Plavix and there's a problem with that and I have concerns of dropping to 20. I will tell you that once you do settle on the Citalopram and it is working, if you stop you will surely know the difference. When I was informed that I had to stop taking the 60 milligram I decided to stop the Citalopram all together and I was a big mess. So rather than stopping I dropped to 40 milligram and got right back on the horse and felt right as rain after that. So if you can stick it out for a little while longer I think you will feel a lot better.

• Posted

It may not be the Cit. I was getting same symptoms before I went on cit. Anyway, med on its own not so good, hope your getting support like therapy and friends. I think no appitite is more due to anxiety rather than cit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.