citalopram to sertraline, incredibly anxious!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

New to the forum here.

I've suffer from generalized anxiety since July (family issues, and I've been in talk-therapy for 2 months)

I've been on citalopram for a couple of months, but all it did was making me sedated and anxious.

I've now cross taperes to sertraline up to 100 mg in 14 days. So far the switch had been smooth.But today, 48 hours after the last 10 mg of cit and the first 100 mg of sert, I feel incredibly high anxiety, jitters, nervousness. And my mood switch from nervous to OK constantly.

My question is can anybody relate to such an effect?

Can I expect some relief soon?

(I do have benzos, but limit their use as ,ucj as I can)

Thanks!

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

What you describe is sadly normal with cross over. I moved from mirtazapine to sertraline. Doc moved me over two weeks which is way too fast I have discovered. I am on sertraline 100 about six weeks and finally ok. I do take quetiapine 25mg in morning and 50mg at bedtime. Working for me atm. Good luck once meds settle down you will be fine.
  • Posted

Thanks for the quick reply!

I suppose I can expect relative improvement over the days/weeks? I will have to rely more on benzo for that time I suppose...

• Posted

Hi Molloy, I've been on 100mg Sertraline for 18 months and it took 6 weeks to feel kind of normal again, you really will feel better soon and I take diazepam if I'm having a wobbly, so if it helps to settle you till you even out then don't worry.

It really helped me a lot when I first started taking sertraline to go on these forums and to hear someone say it does get better was like nectar!!!

Take care and keep talking if it helps smile

Michelle x

• Posted

Even though I was not feeling all that well, I went out and played cards with good friends tonight. Made me realize my problem is mostly anxiety, not depression, as I was interrested/motivated by the game.

Now as for that famous 6 weeks before the med kicks in, my doc told me the same thing, what I would like to know is do you feel gradual improvement over that time, or it mostly happen during the last week/days. In other words what little signs the sert is working should I look for in the coming days?

• Posted

Glad you went out. Definitely helps when you're around the right people. For me to felt better quickly ad the previous meds made me very sleepy and hard to wake up. Sertraline doesn't do that. Plus I had huge appetite which is reason I switched and that went within two days of stopping it. So basically hard to say which med affected me feeling better. Was it the sertraline kicking in or wd of mirtazapine. I just love that I am brighter and not dopey during day like you said you had on your previous med.
    • Posted

I felt improvements each week, so it's as if the anxiety just doesn't come knocking so often if that makes sense, then by the 6th week for me (may be sooner for you) I felt normal and no anxiety, and I had it bad I couldn't go out and play a game so you're doing really well 😊 I managed to go with my mum to a cafe and just sit, couldn't eat etc, but that kept changing gradually over the weeks.

First 2 weeks I couldn't pick up my baby or cope with talking to my other 3 children, but that too kept changing.

Having CBT has been a great help.

• Posted

So it was gradual changes for me but my problem was post natal anxiety. I think it's great that you've recognised it's anxiety and not depression, then you know what you're dealing with.

• Posted

Still very jittery today. I'm suppose to go spend the weekend at my brother's house with my nephews. Clearly don't feel like doing it, but will try nonetheless. I will have to rely on my benzo (klonopin) even if I don't like it one bit. May also have to take antihistamic because of the cat, this usually leave me drowsy.. might relieve a bit of the anxiety also.. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
    • Posted

Remember to keep telling yourself you are getting better, my doctor told me to do that and it does help to make you feel more in control. You won't be on the benzos for long it's just to get you through this time. Well done.
  • Posted

Yesterday was not so bad as the day before. Anxiety has been manageable all day long. The change of pace at my brother's house, much slower/calmer than at home, must have helped.

This morning I feel different again, the roller-coaster of emotions just never stop with me these days. I am I would say dishearten and kind of flat. The last 4 months had been really draining, and I still can't see the end of it. There are a few positive things among it all: sleep and appetite are ok, and I do have good moments from time to time where the world seems right and future events not so overwhelming. But that never lasts very long....

• Posted

Been a month on sertraline now, 2 weeks at 100 mg.

My mood has stabilized a bit, still feel OK then anxious afterwards, but not as suddenly as two weeks ago.

When not anxious I feel tired and unmotivated but that is not so bad, compare to the past months.

For those who had been there, does it sound like the sert is starting to "work"?, or sign that a dosage increase might help?, or that I should start to explore other options..?

Thanks for the feedback!

• Posted

Hi molloy, glad your mood has stabalized some. I think the sert is starting to take effect, I think you need to give it another couple of weeks (unless you feel awful) before upping the dose again as it's building up in your body. It took me a good 3/4 weeks after being increased to 100mg to feel more normal again. But I noticed each week an improvement .

Hope that's helpful, think you're doing really well.

• Posted

Day 29 zoloft 100 mg for anxiety:

Still hoping for that bright new day..! Concentration is much better, now able to do thing like playing competitive contract bridge or going to the cinema. Feel very good for short periods during the day, especially after exercising or during the evenings. Still lots of physical symptoms of anxiety and bouts of intense worrying. Still generally feeling "weak" and with limited energy. Doctor will decide Jan 6 if I go back to work... not clear now if I'll be well enough..

Still weaning clonazepam, now at .16 mg daily, down from .375 mg a month ago. Doesn't seem to suffer much from the tapering.

Still struggling but still fighting!

Merry Xmas for all of you able to feel merry!

• Posted

It's now been 5 weeks of sertraline at 100 mg.

I started feeling improvement in my mood at the 4 weeks mark. Very very gradual but undisputable, everything is slightly easier to do, a bit more interresting, less distressing. But I often do feel tired/unmotivated/lazy.

Still off work and anxious most of the day, still having physical symptoms, but it is less strong, and it comes and goes during the day instead of being non-stop.

Also feeling the side-effects of the meds, most notably a stronger/faster/annoying heart pulse, clenched jaw and night sweats.

Still weaning clonazepam, .375 to .25 to .17 mg daily now, with a cut every 2 weeks.

Not needed zopiclone during the night for the last 7 days, after 6 weeks of nightly use (3.75 mg)

Next week I'm seeing my doc, and we'll decide if the sert dose should be increased.

What could be the deciding factor to let the current dose do its work?, or try to get a better effect with 125 mg ??

May 2016 be a good one for everyone!

• Posted

Saw my doc Wednesday and finally we went for a dose REDUCTION, as my blood pressure was getting too high (diastolic bloid pressure at 95, taken many times during the day, instead of my usual 75).

48 hours after the dose reduction (75 mg of sertraline instead of 100 mg) and my diastolic blood pressure and pulse rate are already closer to my normal numbers (75 Dbp instead of 95, 70 ppm instead of 80).

I also feel a bit calmer as my heart doesn't want to get out of my chest all day long as it did in the last weeks.

I'm trying to exercice as much as possible during the transition, which also seems to help.

Now I only hope the AD effect will continue to improve my mood/anxiety. Pharmacist says to watch out for anxiety/depression creeping back in the next 2 weeks... as I was only very slowly improving, it's not gonna be easy to monitor. Any specific sign I should be on the lookout for that the dose reduction is getting me below the therapeutic level?

+ I suppose I could also feel some sertraline withdrawal side-effect after 6 weeks at 100 mg..?

+ the ongoing slow tapering of clonazepam (now at .125 mg daily dinner treat)

I feel like a juggler with way too many balls to handle!

But at the same time, I feel much better than a month ago, on much less meds (I was taking 3x more benzo, +zopiclone to sleep, which I haven't use in 3+ weeks)

As usual, thanks for reading/commenting. Helps a lot!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.