Citalopram upped dose to 30mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have m.s and have been suffering with anxiety and depression for months , I was put on various A/D's over the months but settled on citalopram 20mg . I was on it at 20mg for about 3 months and settled really well after the initial brutal side effects and was doing ok until my anxiety and depression reared its ugly head again a week ago . I went back to my gp who agreed to up my dose from 20mg to 30mg however my anxiety is through the roof and I'm feeling awful . 

Can anybody advise on this ?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary

Sorry about your situation. I have an ongoing relationship wth Citalopram - I have gone from 20-30 before and I also did recently, but what I'd learnt from the last time was to do this slowly. I would take my dose of 20mg in the morning, and then I took a 5mg dose just before bed. I did this for around a week. I then upped the evening dose to 10mg for a week. 

I then skipped the morning dose and started taking the full 30mg dose at nighttime. I hope that makes sense?

This helps hugely with the side effects, I feel much better now.

Holly

• Posted

Hi Gary

I am sorry you are not feeling great at the minute I am sure you will feel alot better after a couple of weeks on 30mg.. I am still on 20 mg 4 wks yesterday and really don't know what I should do afraid of side effects of going up aswel but I am still feeling very low had some ups and so scared that I am not going to get out of this and get back to myself again, such a horrible isolating feeling. I hope someone can reassure you that has gone up a dose x

• Posted

Hi Gary

I went up to 40mg of cit due to high anxiety which was new to me. I have read that cit first works on depression then starts to address the anxiety. The whole thing can take quite a long time. I have now been on meds for four months and still not there. I was told on this site that each time our dose is upped it sets us back a bit due to the brain needing to get use to the new drug level. It's certainly a battle but you will get there. Did doc give up u diazepam to get you over the settling in period of new dose?

Definitely helps me.

Lorraine x

• Posted

I have been given diazepam to help with the upping of dose . Is it really this difficult when upping ?
    • Posted

Hi Gary

I was worried about each increase but to be honest I had retching in the mornings and slight dizzy spells that only lasted a few seconds. After 4 days those symptoms disappeared.

I'm now waiting for the increased dose to work.

Diazepam definitely helped me those first few days.

Blessings to you

Lorraine x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.