Citalopram week 9...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Mines a tricky one cause i've been suffering vertigo and balance issues for 15 months which has caused anxiety (I assume) Was fobbed off by GP for months who tried a variety of pills including Propranolol, anti sickness pills, and anti psychotics! which all made me feel worse. Saw a lovely doc early October who put me on Citalopram 20mg for the anxiety and Betahistine 16mg 3 times a day for the balance problem. Finally got referred to ENT 2 weeks ago where they found i'd lost some hearing in my right ear. I had a brain/ear MRI last week. I started to perk up a bit during week 4-5 on the Citalopram, but at week 9 I feel awful again, terrible hot sweats, panicky feeling, not wanting to go out etc. The ENT appt freaked me out as wasn't expecting a brain scan so that really hasn't helped matters, but thought I wouldn't be as anxious now! I know they can take time to settle for everyone but how long is too long? Do I need more? I don't want too much! Going back to GP this afternoon but wanted some experience stories first if possible as i'm freaking out about going there already! Lol

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi kh123,

Don't freak out!  What you have mentioned is all quite normal when taking this sticking plaster for the brain and now that you know that it is an ear issue focus on that as a positive.

Where hear so many stories about misdiagnosis and people being messed about and it just is not good enough.  I personally was diagnosed with gastroenteritis by out of hours Dr last August and a week later I was rushed into hospital and nearly died from a burst appendix!

However, leading up to that and another non related to that or being on Cita medical issue, I had all number of side effects and what I call helath paranoia.  Every single thing you mentioned is all part of the side effects with Cita and you know now has nothing to do with your ear issue.

I did not lose my panic attacks until two months and the anxiety stayed with me up until month 4/5.  I started on 10mg and levelled really well on 40mg after 6 months.  What you have to remember is that we are all uniquely, individually different and no two people will get the same side effects, intensity or will be on Cita the same amount of time.  Time is what you have to give it and believe me from what you are saying Cita is working on repairing that which needs mending already by everything you are saying.  Believe me it is working you just have to try (this can be difficult at times) to relax and give it time.

Whenever I got those freaky/spaced or the other feelings you have described I used to have an emergency duvet on standby in yer favourite room outside the bedroom and would crawl under and curl up in until it passed, whether I slept, listened to music or tried to watch some feel good TV.

Do not freak out, let go of the rudder, go with the flow, it can be an interesting journey until you level out, but trust me you will because, we have all been there and we have all gotten to a better place.  Do not look back only look forward to a better new you!

Keep posting, no matter what, keep reading, but do not worry or over think, always ask and we'll help you through!

One more thing Welcome to The club!  It is all inclusive and there are many that can and will help.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you David, thats very reassuring to read. My GP pretty much said the same thing which also reassured me enough to go out and do some shopping which has given me a boost today! I've always been such a confident, outgoing person, but since the anxiety struck i've struggled to feel like me. Doc said to go back after xmas and if i'm still not stable on 20mg she'll try me on 30mg. She also referred me for CBT (I think thats what its called) I will accept all the help i'm offered to feel like me again, and hope that my ear issue isn't anything too seriously, although i'm sure they'd have contacted me by now if it was anything dangerous. Thanks again 😊

• Posted

Hi kh123,

Great news and I was reassured with my GP and the wonderful people on this forum saying the same encouraging and positive things.  So what comes around goes around.

Yes, CBT, even though I have not attended any classes, I hear is a very good thing.  Accepting that which may help, whether it does or not, shows that you are being a part of your own recovery which, I believe, is also very important and helps focus the mind.  Asking, discussing and learning from this forum can also help with the old positivity.

I would not go down the road, now that you have already come so far, of wanting to "feel like me again" because that, in part or full, brought us here in the first place.  We don't look back, we look forward to being new and far better people stronger and wiser than before!  This may mean dumping in the trash that or those that may have been complicit in causing our illness.

I would have thought that, if there was a problem with your ear, they would have contacted you about it by now - either that or you didn't hear the phone!!!  Lol!

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Lol!!! I always have my phone in my hand so it would be hard not to hear it! 😆

I'm actually looking more forward to the future knowing that it will get better. I never thought i'd experience anything like this, so its been a big shock to the system, but onwards and upwards! Many thanks for your help. I'll be sure to keep you up to daye with my progress.

• Posted

But, I don't know a Daye and, what has he to do with yer progress?!  Lol!

Seriously, I do think Cita may mess with our grammar and speltings!

I, like you, never, ever thought I would experience anything like this or be here, but here I am!  After an air force career, jobs in the private, public and charity sectors this was a shock to the system, but it was coming for 6 years!

Definitely onward and upwards, to infinety and beyond!

Regards,

Buzz

• Posted

DATE! Lol. 😆

• Posted

Little update!

Week 15 today and have noticed a big improvement in myself. Still have little 'wobbles' here and there but want to give it until week 24 before I ask for a higher dose of Citalopram (if I need it) as know it can take longer to get into your system than it does for others. Its been such a rocky road but i'm feeling very positive about my future now 😊

• Posted

FANTASTIC AND WELL DONE!

It is so reassuring for all of us old and new to read ongoing positicity and this short post ouses that!

Thank you for sharing and here's to it continuing and keep in touch, even if you get the odd blip!  Someone will be here!

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.