citalopram & weight gain ( how long to lose it after coming off cit)

Posted , 55 users are following.

I have been on cit 50mg & trazodone 200mg for 2 years. I have put on 3 stone in this time.

I have started to reduce the cit & just wondered how long it takes to lose the weight gain once you are off the cit??

8 likes, 119 replies

119 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, glad to see there's a forum here I can talk about probs with other people who are feeling the same as I am - nobody seems to understand what I'm going through with this depression and anxiety malarkey. Never mind.

I wasn't aware that you gain wait from citalopram - is this a known side effect?

I started citalopram around a month ago, was on 10mg but had a really bad panic attack one night and also was horrifically suicidal on another time, was increased to 20mg dose...

When I started taking 10mg...I lost around a stone - now I'm eating (over-eating, even) and feel I'm going to start putting on weight again.

I thought it was the meds that caused the weight loss, but now I'm against thinking that after reading these pposts.

• Posted

Hi, I have no medical knowledge so can't comment on the facts about weight gain but my own experience is that taking a high dose of Citalopram has had no effect on my weight. I am underweight but my weight has remained steady since I started the medication a couple of years ago.

The medication helps me enormously and enables me to cope better with everyday situations instead of feeling agitated most of the time as I did prior to taking it. I think each person has to assess the pros and cons of taking the medication, the benefits of an improved mental state as opposed to the disadvantages of increased body weight (if this occurs).

Is it not possible to control one's weight by eating and exercising moderately? I know it can be difficult with a sedentary job and the temptation of readily available snack foods.

• Posted

I was on Citalopram for over two years and gained two stone in weight. I am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to lose it. I've been off Citalopram for over a week now.

Over the past 6 months, I have been strictly dieting to no avail. I eat significantly less than I did before taking citalopram, yet I keep gaining weight. There is definitely something wrong and I am concerned. I haven't been this heavy since I was pregnant!

• Posted

Hi Spockney, I have also just cut down on the citalopram with the view of being off it in a week or so. I have gained so much weight and my appetite hasn't increased at all. I see it is a year since you wrote your part so I am interested to see if you have lost the weight now.
    • Posted

Hi Kim, you are the one on here who has posted the most recent comments, so hope you dont mind me messaging you.

My GP started me on citalopram last week, and Im horrified to read that it makes you gain weight.  Ive just lost 11 stone in weight - half my body weight, and the thought of gaining again mortifies me, as I worked hard to get where I am today.  What concerns me too is that your weight increases even if you do not eat extra.

From the second tablet, thinking about it now, I was picking alot more than I normally do, so Im wondering if that could be the start of me gaining weight.  I cant afford to put weight on (more so because Ive bought new clothes in smaller sizes and I want them to be able to fit me!!)

Ive got to go back to GP in three weeks, so I will monitor my weight til then.  If I have gained alot, theres no way I want to continue this.  But going through a painful divorce prompted me to ask GP for help, and this is what she gave me.

How is your weight now?  How much have you gained and over what period of time?  I would be ever so grateful if you kept in touch with me.

Thanks  Wendy

• Posted

Hi I would just like to say I've gained 5 stone in 6 months. And no hope of either coming off or losing the weight  hope you work it out I repay do. I worry about the gain more than what I was before it's utterly ridiculous.
    • Posted

Hi Kim - do you mind my asking how you're getting on?  I've piled on weight since being on Citalopram (for 2 and a bit years) and am now coming off it (one more tablet to go!) because the weight gain is making my anxiety and depression far worse instead of better.  One of the reasons I was put on tablets to start with was because of eating disorders/weight issues and I'm quite angry that the doctor didn;'t tell me that Citalopram could make you put on weight, and has repeatedly told me that it must be something else causing the problem (after she referred me to a dietitian, I did everything the dietitian said and it didn't help, she finally admitted that it must be the Citalopram), but it's too late now.  I am desperately hoping that the weight will start to come off now. 
    • Posted

Hi Add,

I have been on citalopram 20 mg for 17 months and feel a lot better well saying that apart from my weight.I have gained 20 pounds.I eat well and exercise.I had no control over it and I kept putting the weight on.I have never struggled with my weight before.

Anyway now I am reducing them down slowly and hopefully the weight comes off

fingers crossed.x

• Posted

Good luck!  I was sent for counselling as well as having the citalopram, and the counsellor kept saying that the reason I'd been stressing over my weight for years was to try to make myself feel in control of something, and then the citalopram took that away and I kept piling on weight no matter what I did.  Hope you're going OK with reducing them x.
    • Posted

I've only just started reducing today so hopefully be ok.

I'm just glad I'm back to my old self.

it's not a nice place to be when you're depressed and admitting it isn't easy either.

Now I can concentrate on my weight and fit.back into my clothes.smile

Hope you are doing ok.

thanks for replying. X

• Posted

'Me also in the same boat, I have been taking 40mg for almost a year and only just come to the realisation finally that it was the citalopram. Also suffering from an eating disorder and severe anxiety I couldn't handle the weight gain even though my doctor has continuously assured me it's not the tablets. I've alowly cut down in the last 2 months and hoping that the weight will begin to drop because I feel far worse now about myself then what I did before I started taking them when I had just lost 25 kgs sad
    • Posted

i really agree with you. ive been on cit for 4 months. now at 40mg. just horrified that i have gone from 42 year old slim man to absolute fat bellied porcupine!!! i cant shift it. for 6 weeks i have been walking 6 miles per day and nothing. zero!!! anyone have a  clue in the world how i can shift this weight? am totally emoathising with Ms. spockney!
  • Posted

I've been on Citalopram for about 10 months now and have probably gained in the region of 2 stone since i've been on it. I was on 40mg and i've cut down to 10mg now but my weight has just stuck. Does anyone have any experience with weight loss after coming off completely? I'm aiming to be off it completely come Autumn and i'm hoping that I can start to shift the weight.

I'm back to exercising regularly and although I can't claim that I have an amazing diet, it's not changed massively since before I suffered from anxiety depressions and I was 11 stone then. As much as i'm feeling better, my weight is still getting me down!

• Posted

I know how you feel Jon33 I see that you wrote you item a year or more ago and I am wondering if you have now lost the weight.
  • Posted

I have been on cit for 3 years for anxiety and Atenolol for 2 for migraines, in that time i've gone from 11 stone to 14.5... i've been constantly dieting, eating well, exercising (as much as i can as i get very drowsy in the daytime)

I've only just started to realise that the cit is the reason I have put on so much weight, my doctor keeps telling me it isn't the cit but since reading the amount of posts from people who are suffering the same as me I feel better as I have been struggling with my weight so much.

I am hoping to ween myself off asap and maybe then I can lose the weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.