Ckd

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my creatine is 235 and my gfr is 20 i want to know which stage i am doctor told me its stage 4 but i have no symptoms i am very confuced

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Were you on any antibiotics or meds when you had your bloodwork done?  That can affect your kidney levels.
    • Posted

Two weeks before i had blood test and results are same i take lisinaprol because i had protein in my urine

• Posted

My sister was on bactrim, her kidney numbers were horrible. After being off of them for 8 weeks, kidney dr. told her to have the bloodwork redone. Numbers improved dramatically. No more bactrim. Also, no Ibruprofen or alleve ,ever. Hard on kidney.
  • Posted

rehana, stage 4 kidney disease covers a range between 15-29 eGFR so eGFR 20 would come wthin that stage.  I hope you remain symptom-free but meanwhile do ensure that your blood pressure is within normal range or treated if not, and try and avoid diabetes
  • Posted

Hi Rehana,

A few things to consider:  first off, my understanding of GFR is that it is an estimated value, and one that fluctuates from day to day to boot.  It is based on an average "human" - eg. your average male / female of a certain average age and a certain average height and weight (etc etc).  As such, it is a guideline at best and should be considered as such.

Once you understand that, you understand that people have different symptoms, and at different levels of severity, based on their own personal characteristics.  For example, younger / healthier and taller patients may not start to experience symptoms until (for example) their creatinine gets up to 400's, while others may start feeling it in the 250's.

My own example may help to illustrate.  I was diagnosed with kidney disease 17 years ago, and I watched my kidney function gradually decrease over that many years.  At the point where my creatinine was at 230 or so, I, like you, did not feel much in terms of symptoms.  Certainly I started to notice the odd leg cramp at night and an increase in leg itchiness during the winter months, but that was about it.  I am a younger person, 6' 2" male and I was going to the gym twice a week so I was keeping fit.

By the time my creatinine was in the 400+ range, I was definitely feeling it.  It crept up until my GFR was estimated at 7 (yes, 7!) and at that point I finally threw in the towel and got started on the path to dialysis.

I hope this perspective helps, and I wish you all the best.

• Posted

hi

just to ask, how long it lasts from creatinine 200++ to dialysis.

i am 34 female , with creatinine 205. lupus phritis 22 years old. 

• Posted

Hi Yehyeh,

Unfortunately I can't provide an estimate for you.  Our kidney conditions are different (mine is IGA nephropathy), but even if they were the same it is difficult at best to say "you have X amount of time until dialysis".

For example, my nephrologist told me that people with IGA nephropathy generally go from diagnosis to dialysis within 7 to 9 years.  However, the speed at which your kidneys decline is based on a wide variety of factors, including age; how closely you follow dietary guidelines; whether you engage in certain nasty habits eg. smoking, drugs, excessive alcohol; whether you have any additional conditions eg. diabetes; etc etc.

In my case, I was conclusively diagnosed at 29 so I was young => advantage #1.  I was fully aware of my condition long before it got out of hand => advantege #2.  I closely followed the dietary guidelines (limiting salt & protein etc), avoided MacDonalds-type junk food and I don't smoke or engage in excessive drinking (barring any once-in-a-blue-moon partying!) => advantage #3.  I consistently keep fit, going to the gym twice a week, which has successfully controlled my blood pressure => advantage #4.  I participated in a clinical study in 2005 which sought to verify whether candesartan - a blood pressure medication - could also provide a benefit to kidney patients by limiting the amount of protein excreted by the kidneys, thereby adding some extra protection to the kidneys.  I reacted positively to this medication and switched over to it.  I don't doubt it contributed to slowing the decline in my kidneys => advantage 5.  And so on.

All told, I was able to parlay an extra 17 years out of my kidneys, and only just recently (within the last month) made the decision to finally start dialysis; my creatinine was up in the high 700's.  You are young, and like me you are fully aware of your condition and how to manage it - it wouldn't surprise me if you are able to achieve similar results, perhaps even slow the decline entirely.

I hope that helps.  Good luck and best wishes. Creatinine of 205 is actually not bad (at least it wasn't for me), I remember the days of 205 creatinine fondly...  smile

• Posted

I was very interested to read your account if your illness, thank you.  My husband also has iga and was diagnosed 8 years ago (aged 44) with an egfr of about 40 then.  He's now down to 21 and the next appointment is to discuss dialysis options.  Can I ask how end stage renal failure affected your life.  Simon runs a building business and we don't know if he will be able to continue to work, on reduced hours, not at all etc.  Consultant indicates he will carry on working, but tiredness is an issue now (although that could be due to poor sleep at night with leg cramps etc).  I presume when you move onto dialysis there is a period of 'illness' when you're in hospital during adjustment and getting things stable. Now we are facing dialysis, I realise how little we know about how it will affect our life, we have a young daughter who I particularly worry about how it might impact on her. 

Any insight into what we are facing would be gratefully received.  Forewarned is forearmed!  Many thanks, Mandy

• Posted

Hi Roundabout66,

I am probably not the best person to answer that question as I have only recently started dialysis myself.  Additionally, you should know that there are 2 different types of dialysis - hemo (blood) and peritoneal (abdomen fluid exchange).  I chose peritoneal so I can only comment on it from that perspective.  I'll tell you what I can, and perhaps others can pitch in?

So for peritoneal:  basically you are correct, you have a period of hospitalization and then recovery.  The steps go something like this:

-Go to hospital to get tube inserted into abdomen.  Day surgery.  Released same or (more likely) following day.

-Wound heals around the tube over the course of 3 to 4 weeks.  During this time, you will likely be off work for some, most or possibly all of the time.  Heavy lifting is "out".

-Once site is healed, you are trained on how to perform dialysis.  Likely they will train you how to work the fluid bags manually.  Basically, you take a 2L bag of special fluid, attach it to the tube, and pour it into your abdomen.  After 4 to 5 hours, you empty it out and refill.  Do this 4 times a day (morning, lunchtime, dinner time, bed time).

-In my neck of the woods, they also have cycler machines that does most of the dialysis for you.  We are trained on how to use the machine after practicing "manual" dialysis (as described above) for about 3 to 4 weeks.  The machine dialyzes you overnight and tops you up with fluid before you wake up, and you go about your day with 1.5 - 2L of fluid in your belly.  So it's kind of the reverse of the "manual" method in that it dialyzes you overnight, vs. dialyzing yourself during the day.

Note:  even after you have healed, with PD heavy lifting remains "out".  Why?  Because if you are at elevated risk of hernia due to carrying all that fluid in your belly, and also because if you strain too hard and your tube surgical site could leak" and you will have serious problems.  I can't say whether heavy lifting is ok for HD patients.

Anyhow:  it takes anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks to start feeling better using dialysis.  Note however that it doesn't bring you back to "original kidney" level; it helps and it will keep you going, but the best option is obviously to have a kidney transplant long term.  Unfortunately I do not know the success rate in terms of how many dialysis patients are well enough to return to work; however, your husband and I are two of the "younger" kidney patients so assuming there are no complicating factors eg. diabetes then odds are strong we will both be able to return to work.  However, it is doubtful that people doing manual labour are able to cope due to the fact that dialysis just doens't give you back your full kidney function.

So that's PD.  I'm sure others on this board can talk about hemodialysis and tell you all about it.  Both do a similar job in terms of cleaning the blood, but they each have their own advantages / disadvantages.  I hope in some small way this helps.  If you have a more specific / directed question about something, feel free to ask.

• Posted

Thanks for the info Mike.  We're going to discuss dialysis options in July and so I'll probably post again then to get some more info off people.  Medical staff can answer questions, but it's good to know how other patients cope with the various options.  It's all a bit scary at the moment, but you play the hand you're dealt and we're very aware that there is always someone worse. I'm a possibility for live donor, but completely mismatched with Simon, so it would be a pooled donation and not sure how that pans out.  Not quite so straightforward.

Thanks for your response, you're the first person we've spoken to with the same condition as Simon!

Mandy 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.