CKD and swollen ankles

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

This march I had my right kidney removed as I had chronic kidney disease in just the one kidney since I was a baby.

Pre- surgery I had a lot of water retention from my hips down which subsided post-op however 6 months on I am still suffering with very swollen and very painful ankles and feet if I am stood for any period of time. Ive had my kidney function monitored and it is fine so its not the case that I still have kidney disease.

Doctors dont seem very informed on what to expect post kidney removal or when these symptoms will go away so im hoping somebody else has or is experiencing this and can advise either how to manage it and when it might stop happening?

Thankyou in advance

Jess

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure about post kidney removal, however I'm experiencing swollen ankles, feet, hands,and face in stage 4 CKD. They say it is fluid retention. could it be that you are still experiencing fluid retention, not necessarily due to the kidney? There are many reasons for fluid retention and perhaps you should discuss with your Doctors the possible reasons you are retaining the fluids in your ankles. If your Doctors agree that it will not be too hard on your remaining kidney he might want to consider a mild diuretic to help remove the excess fluid. The problem with diuretics is they can be tough on the kidneys so this is something you would have to discuss with your doctor. in my opinion it's better to find the underlying CAUSE of the swelling and address that issue to remedy the swelling. swelling can be caused by many things as I'm sure you know. Discuss the root cause with your doctor and have some tests ran. If you are told your kidney is functioning normally then you will want to look at other causes only your doctor can determine. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. I wish you the best

• Posted

Thanks for the reply!

Yes pre op I had a lot of water retention even though it was just the one kidney but was told it would go after surgery and it just doesnt seem to have and like i say the doctors seem pretty clueless and just say to wait it out but as im sure you know its quite painful!

It may be that im being impatient and 22 years of kidney disease is going to take a long time to recover from, id just like to be out of pain for once!

Thabks for replying x

• Posted

babybearjess, if your one kidney is working perfectly, then that is unlikely to be the culprit for the swollen ankles.  I had a kidney removed when I was 12 and it was found that it hadn't really worked since birth and was therefore quite small.  I have never experienced swollen ankles in all the years since apart from once when in hospital they swelled up and it was found to be from the salt in the hospital meals - I never have salt on my food or eat salty food such as crisps.  I also developed swollen ankles when put on various blood pressure medication.  As well as some people on blood pressure medication, people with certain heart conditions can also experience swollen ankles.  Make sure you drink plenty of water and remove all salt from your diet - you would be amazed at how many foods contain salt, particuarly ready-made meals and processed meats.  I also try and eat plenty of known diuretic-type foods such as celery, asparagus, garlic and melon.  Worth a try.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, i will definitely try and cut out salt because i am guilty of over seasoning. As for diuretics, i was told that with one kidney not to eat or drink anything with strong diuretic powers because it puts strain on the kidney? Because i know of a lot of herbal teas that are great for swelling but are also diuretics so ive been in two minds as to whether i can drink them or if it will cause me damage. Any info on that would be brilliant. Im a newbie to the one kidney club and still not sure what i should and shouldnt do but i do know i shouldnt be having the amount of salt i have anyway so i will cut that out! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.