CKD at Stage 5... Barley water treatment good?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am at Stage 5 of CKD.  I have the following queries...

1. Please tell me if barley water is useful at this stage. If so, please let me have the ideal recipe for treatment.

2. Is exercise good at this stage?  How much or for how long?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If you enjoy the taste of it then drink it, if you are asking if it will reverse your CKD then the answer is no sadly.

I exercised 3 times a week metafit (HIT training) for 30 minutes a time, I then went onto PD dialysis and found it really helped with the fluid dranage and made me feel better too.

Have you started dialysis yet or are you in the horrible bit I called limbo, where you have the symptoms but are not quite at the dialysis stage yet?.

• Posted

Hi!

Thank you for your reply to my query.  

I am at the stage you call limbo.  But to me this is a haven before the dreaded next stage.  I am trying to enjoy a full life - prticipating in vaious activities, doing writing, watching movies and TV shows, etc.etc.  I feel blessed tht I can do these activities. Also have some really good friends and family.

Happy to keep in touch with you. Please continue to write to me.  Warm regards.

• Posted

Hi,

Dont be scared about dialysis.  Its very hard even though I knew it was coming at some point when they tell you it is time it is still a shock but you get used to it.  I would start researching what type you think will suit your lifestyle.  I did peritoneal dialysis as I am young, have a family, work and like to exercise.  I did it myself at night at home as I don't like people faffing with me.  I did visit the heamo unit and research thay but decided it wasn't for me.  Both require a bit of surgery, my PD catheter was placed under general and I was out the same day, it took two weeks to heal and I had a week of training but my nurses were on call 24/7.  If you need emergency dialysis you can get this so don't worry they put a temp line in your neck.  I was 7% when I started my dialysis.  You get a monthly delivery from Baxter my house is full of family and so they NHS bought me a shed for the garden to keep the supplies in.  Its a bit scary at first to set the machine up but they gave my step by step instructions and once you get going it is like brushing your teeth you do it automatically.  I didn't have any bouts of infection as I am OCD and as long as you do exactly what the nurses say you will be fine.  The machine is loud at first but you get used to it.  Please feel free to ask if you have any questions I am no doctor but have experienced the whole process now including transplant which will no doubt be your next challenge.  I like you have the most amazing friends and family and I can't forget my lovely husband I couldn't of done this without them all.  Even though I am going through all this I still feel lucky xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.