CKD3b and Hypertension

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there by chance anyone looking in who has only one kidney which is low functioning (CKD3b) and who has high blood pressure and being treated with BP medication?

My eGFR is 40 at present, and deteriorating faster due probably to a mixture of the very high blood pressure and the various BP medications I have been trialled on over the last 2 years.  The BP pills that are generally thought to be helpful to the kidneys have produced such unwanted side effects that I am now being put on pills that seem to be making my kidney function reduce at a faster rate, plus they are not reducing my blood pressure.

I'm really keen to find someone else who might also have one kidney, high blood pressure and CKD, who is taking a blood pressure medication which is keeping their kidney function stable rather than causing it to reduce further.

My present pills are Losartan Potassium 50mg and Bisoprolol 1.25.  Neither are reducing my blood pressure, and my GP is reluctant to increase the Bisoprolol in case it further worsens the kidney function.  She is writing to my renal consultant.   

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi my bp never stabilised until I was put on amlodipine along with my amilozide. Before my popotassium was low now my bp stays around 117/120 over 78/80 which is good for me but I think it may be better lower...!! My bp was usually border line or higher with the odd fluke of a good reading before taking amlodipine, yes there are side effects like most meds, next blood test not far off so hoping 🙏 for decent results.
    • Posted

Forgot to say have both kidneys with reduced function.
  • Posted

I'm end stage now (on dialysis), both kidneys but 5% functionality and also hypertensive. I've been on amlodopine 10mg in the AM and 8mg Doxazosin AM & PM, but they cut the PM one just recently.
    • Posted

Thank you Matt for your reply - so kind of you especially when you are struggling at a worse stage than me at the moment.  I'm assuming that if they have cut one of your doses, that means good news as far as your blood pressure is concerned.  If both you and Deni are on Amlodipine then it seems that they consider Amlodipine ok for the kidney - just don't think I could cope with going back on that again with the side effects.  I haven't tried Doxazosin.  I just wonder whether people who have lost a kidney like me might be more sensitive to the various BP medications.

I do hope you are doing well on dialysis and wish you all the luck in the world.

• Posted

Hello again smile  My son has only one kidney, ckd 3 and has had hypertension since birth.  It's been a 19 year battle with his blood pressure but the last couple years his bp has been stable and so has his blood work.  He takes 15 mg of Lisinopril (you do have to watch this med because it can effect your kidney function), and he takes 0.1 mg of clonidine each night. Clonidine makes him very sleepy so he takes that at night.  I have to watch that med though because it can bring his bp down too low. Other than that he doesn't seem to have any side effects.
    • Posted

Hello Elenna and thank you for your reply although I'm so sorry to hear that your son has been struggling with high BP all his young life.  Was he born with one kidney or did the high BP from birth cause his reduced kidney function?  Good news to hear that both his BP and blood work is now stable.

Although I've been on about 7 different BP lowering drugs over the last couple of years, all with unwanted side effects, I haven't so far come across Clonidine.  Although I have heard of the ACE Inhibitor, Lisinopril, it is so far one that I haven't tried.  I have, however, tried Ramipril twice which although the medics say is the best BP pill when suffering kidney problems, someone once said on here that it wrecked her kidney function!  Ramipril gave me nausea and fleeting temporal head pain - a scary side effect for me as within a week or so of taking it the first time around, I succumbed to a long term condition causing inflammation in the arteries of my body, including my temporal arteries, necessitating 5 years treatment with steroids.  When I tried Ramipril the second time, nausea and fleeting head pain returned and I was scared to go on with it.  

My renal consultant said that we have tried all the ones supposedly helpful to the kidney and all he is left with now is those that are risky.

I wish your son well and hope he continues to remain stable.  I do appreciate your reply and information, and will look into the Clonidine.

• Posted

He was born with blood clots in both of his kidneys.  He lost his right kidney when he was ten years old.  When he was 14 the doctors told me he was in stage 3. He has been on bp meds since he was literally 2 days old.
    • Posted

Gosh poor lad - the side effects of BP meds can be bad enough for us of the older generation, but for a new baby that must have been a worry for everyone.  I was just 2 years older than him when I had my right kidney rermoved.  I was lucky as it heralded the start of a much more healthy life for me - luckily I think my left kidney had already been used to doing the work of two, and it is larger than a normal kidney so functioned really well for many years, even during pregnancy when the consultant had warned me to expect to spend the last couple of months in hospital, but there was no need as all remained well.  What is your son's eGFR?  Hopefully he will remain in stage 3 CKD for many years to come.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.