Clarification

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Lovelies, hope everyone is doing well. This might sound stupid but just need some clarification, the 3 stages of menopause...peri which is the lead up to menopause when there's been no period for a year then I've read about post menopause...am I a nuff nuff or what?! LoL I always thought menopause was menopause, pass the 12 mth mark that's it but from what I read meno symptoms can still have a cycle like pattern till they finally settle/stop which then is post menopause...this apparently could possibly take 5yrs omg! Considering this then I am in menopause, been over a year with no periods, not post meno as I still get a cycle like pattern of symptoms despite taking Livial(has eased some symptoms) All very confusing, or is it just me being a noodle brain? 😏

Take Care, be kind to yourselves

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Nan,

You are not a noodle brain. I could use some clarification myself. I read a few different things about the phases and then I got totally confused. I think I better stop reading..hahahaha. I thought in peri you could still have a menses and meno once you have went a a full 12 months without a menses. I couldn't even tell when post meno is.

• Posted

Iwas told by the drs, that, after a full year with no period, then you consider yourself post,  ive been post now for 1 year, my symptoms for the one year with no period, were very mild, or, non existent, a year on, i feel more balanced if you understand what i mean by that, but noticed a flaring up of my hot flushing, and heat symptoms during this same year, apparently, this is a sign you are post, and you  CAN be in post for a further 5 years after your last period with the heat flushing symptoms, some its longer,  some less,  but unfortunately, i was also told by my dr, that, some very unlucky ladies, can be in menopause with no periods for years, but continue with all their  symptoms  for life, and never go into post!! noooooo.......... poor, poor women, i would have to insist on HRT then, if that was  me, just remember its diffferent for everyone, if you bleed during your post year, but its a different colour and consistency unlike a period, its the womb cleaning itself out, and you dont need to start counting down a year again before yu consider yourself post, if however, it comes with pain, or other symptoms you dont recognise to be a period, then get it checked out to be sure,    If on the otherhand, it does resemble a period, and you get your up and down symptoms, its a period, and, then you would then have to go another year, before you can say your post.  

If you have no periods due to hysterectomy, you will still go through stages as normal even if your hysterectomy was 15/20 years ago..............hope this helps Nan!! but yes it is confusing.

• Posted

Hello ELaine, I read with interest your last few words regarding hysterectomy and the different stages. I do believe you're right, but I am also confused.......I had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago leaving one ovary and I was fine with that - no symptoms and all was good but 2 years ago oophorectomy and so now I guess I'm either in menopause ( surgical ) or post meno, Dr said its over but I don't believe her, I still feel like every day there are different symptoms ie, anxiety which is the worst symptom, feeling weird, weight gain, fatigue, achy bones etc and some days I feel as if it's getting worse which makes me believe what you say about the stages rather than GP telling me it's over.......can you shed any light. ? I'm not on HRT due to migraines, it's all a nightmare. Hope you're doing ok x
    • Posted

Hi Lou

It must be very difficult for yourself, and other ladies who have had hysterectomys in the past,  how do you know if your already having no periods.  

The signs  your dr seems to be missing is, a worsening of anxiety, fatigue etc, which can be signs of peri, as your hormones increase and fluctuate massively during this time, i think you get a decrease in testosterone, and progesterone, but you get an increase in oestrogen, but again it fluctuates, sounds to me like your in peri, which, can last a long time, the only way i would have thought, for you to know without blood tests is, go off how your feeling instead, your already questioning what the drs said, because you know in yourself how you feel with your symptoms, and for you, i would considered myself post when i notice a decline, or, complete cessation in my peri symptoms, and its taken me this past year to pick up on that would you believe, and thats since ive been without my periods for 1 year. So, for you, when you start to notice a decline in your symptoms, thats when you will be in menopause, the sign for post is, no peri symptoms, or, very, very, mild ones, but more importantly for post,  inflammations and hot flushes come back again, thats your sign for post, and if you havent said that to your dr, then why hasnt he/she picked up on that, increasing anxiety, depression etc, is not post, drs just make it even worse, and i can see how confusing for ladies like you it can become, its confusing for us, and we havent had hysterectomys..............ha

I have 2 sisters, both of which are post, so 3 of us, dont have peri symptoms anymore, may notice very slight up and down, but nothing severe, but then  we all started back with our hot flushes, now that might be the hereditary factor, so, if you have sisters check with them also??  I also have 2 other friends, who are both in post, and have been for 5/6 years, again no peri but both still have some flushes, but thats all.

I can only guess your in stage 1 peri, my peri lasted for 8 years, however, i was on a 6 weeks cycle, and i think thats why mine took so long to stop, the majority of womens menopause last from anything to 5 years, to 15 total, and the last 5 of those years can be in post, but all this can differ from person to person, one of my sisters did have ablood test after her periods stopped, and her tests did come back saying she was post menopausal, so, you could get bloods done later on to be sure.

So was in peri for 8 years, had 1 year without periods, so considered post been on it 10 years this year in total, think i have a couple more years maybe, to do in post,  who knows, but no serious high and lows, just heat, take it thats when im nearing cycle, but other than that, im fine, feel things are a lot more balanced inside thank god..............hope this helps, good luck lou, lets us all know how you get on.  

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to give such an informative reply and to me the things you have said do make sense. Dr basically told me 2 years with basically everything gone then I am over it !! I don't think so. You mentioned inflammations for example and this is true - ie earaches, bad knees and wrists are happening, I had a horrid infection down below a few weeks ago, nurse took swabs which all came back clear and in the meantime was offered no antibiotics and it was nasty - doctor just said ' oh that can happen post meno! ' what ! anyway it cleared up itself. I asked about the terrible anxiety and was given Sertraline which gave me horrendous side effects so stopped them. Seems to me there is so much ignorance by some GPs on this and they seem to go by age and circumstances like mine so automatically think you're over it when it feels as if it's just beginning. I have never been offered blood tests so just thought I was over it as I knew no better but now I'm thinking differently. Immediately after my oophorectomy I was having hundreds of hot flushes one after the other and was offered no help and felt just terrible, over the last two years these have got better but now as I said other things have cropped up and at times I think I might not survive I feel so bad, I realise now that it may be early days as it could go on for years, Uugghh it's all so much to cope with. But I know I'm not alone and somehow I think the best way is to get through one day at a time. Thank you so much x
    • Posted

Hi lou

Yes that happend with me, hot flushes did die down, and other symptoms took over worse, does make you feel horrific, it will get better tho lou, drink plenty of water, eat little and often, gentle exercise, and relaxation techniques help with stress as well, sertraline can help with pain, and fatigue during menopause, but if the side effects were too much yu were right to stop them, got enough to  cope with, with all this and yes drs really dont seem to care nowadays, i have had the same experiences with them myself, total arrogance, and ignorance your right, yes you will find infections cropping up lots more now.   My two other sisters came through it much quicker than me, 6 years from start to finish, so you may be like this.   Write again, if you need anymore help with it,  if i cant help you im sure others can on this site, everyone helps everyone out, because the drs are useless, but know it will get better lou and when your post, fingers crossed, you should get a more balanced feeling inside. good luck

• Posted

Thank you very much, I take on board everything you've said and understand more now. It all makes more sense and will tell myself my symptoms are what they are and nothing more and not let anxiety get the better of me if I can. Thank you for everything and take good care x
    • Posted

The anxiety part is the hardest for me. When these creepy symtpoms start coming on I try not to panic like I used to. I still panic a little, but I try to keep it under control as best I can. It's tough though. It will get better for you Lou. Be kind to yourself...
    • Posted

Thank you Jamie and Hooe you're doing ok. Today's beens horrible anxiety awful x
    • Posted

My anxiety was a bit much today also. I was driving and started feeling weird. Then the panic started coming. I was by myself and getting ready to lose it. I got myself together before my daughter got in the car. Needless to say I made it home as quick as i could and got in my bed. I'm watching tv and trying to remind myself that I am ok and it will away.
    • Posted

Oh no poor you - that's happened to me before aswell only the other week actually . I was driving and my mouth felt funny so at the next junction I had my. Mouth wide open staring in convinced something was wrong and then heart thumping and feeling so horrible with panic had to get home quickly and run all up the garden path like a weirdo get the key in the door run upstairs to the mirror and stare in my mouth, honestly it drives me mad and I focus on things. Today my cheekbones have been aching like mad so again I'm thinking something drastic, rang my lovely mum who said ' oh Lou it's just your face changing' ! GREAT  now I think my face looks all bony and different - im driving myself mad with all this and couldn't work this afternoon I got myself into such a state, I wish I had a telly in the bedroom I would just stay in bed when I get like this, in fact I might buy a telly at the weekend so I can stay in bed all the time watching sad films ! How are you feeling now ? xx
    • Posted

I'm feeling a little better. I have a huge pimple on the side of my face which means my cycle is coming. I've been shaky and trembling all day and have no clue what for. Everytime I try to clear my mind and say I'm ok, I start thinking something else is wrong when I know that it isn't . My anxiety is so crazy that when I drift off to sleep and wake up, I can literally feel my insides shaking. It used to scare me really bad until I learned thats it part of meno. It doesn't happen all the time, but closer to my menses time is when my symptoms are the worse.
  • Posted

Basically were a mess til were like 75 then have other more serious medical issues then die. So much to look forward to getting old.
    • Posted

Just was I was thinking, it's all hell. When you read all the comments from all the other ladies here we are all going through so much mentally and physically it's so hard to smile and carry on with all this crap x
    • Posted

Didi, lol that's exactly what I keep thinking it will go on till I'm 75 and then I can start heading out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.