Clarification

Posted , 5 users are following.

Recently diagnosed, but before I go rip off the head of my sex partner I need to clairification as to who gave it to who.

Tons of lierature states that lots of people CARRY the virus, but have no symptoms and no idea they carry it.

Then there is literature that says when you get your FIRST outbreak, the person you had sex with gave you the virus.

So in my case, where I'm experiencing an outbreak, and having no other symptoms ever, is it absolute that my sex partner gave me the virus, OR have I been possibly infected for years, and the virus "decided" to show it's ugly head now?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I will ask that you proceed with caution. There is no absolute way to know but there are ways that will help you get as close to accurate as possible. First, were you tested by swab, blood igg or both?
    • Posted

Ok that's a start now if you can get a blood test based on my comment below igg not igm, it's very important to request igg, if the blood test were to be negative it would indicate recent transmission. Positive swab and negative blood (igg) suggest recent exposure whereas positive swab and positive blood suggest older infection...I hope this helps

• Posted

That's a good point. I've had it so damn long the test procedures are different now. I've had it so long where I was teaching the clinic how to deal with it. Let's say 38 years I've had it. And that's a mighty long time

• Posted

I agree, there is not necessarily anyone's head to rip off except the medical community and the CDC which to this day do not screen anyone for herpes. Therefore many many people have it and have no idea. You could have had it a long time, or it could be a recent acquisition, there is no way to know since you don't have a negative test result that would give you a point in time when you know you did not have it.

Even if your last partner has it, they could easily be completely unaware that they do. And you could have gotten it from someone before then who also had it.

In short herpes in many if not most cases does NOT immediately show up or cause symptoms anybody would recognize as herpes. Since nobody is routinely screened for it, some 80% of the people who have it and are going around transmitting it, have no idea. This is a natural outcome of the CDC's idiotic recommendation that no one be screened.

• Posted

Make sure you complain to your doctor about it. The only way the herpes stigma will go away is if everyone is screened so everyone knows just how common it is. As it stands, half the population runs around with herpes unawares infecting other people who never get a choice in the matter. But then THOSE people who were never given any choice, because the medical establishment did not think they should be, are advised to disclose so that OTHER people DO get a choice. It's completely a double standard, because otherwise most of the population would be on antivirals and the virus might mutate in response into something even worse.

• Posted

Well the reason for my question was this...if you recently had an outbreak "primary infection" shortly after sexual contact and were to test positive via swab yet negative via blood (igg) it would most certainly suggest a recent transmission. If however you tested positive by blood (igg) not igm as it is considered unreliable then that ( following this first outbreak would suggest that the virus has been in your system long enough to develop antibodies which would be at least 3-4 months and indicate an older infection

• Posted

I have a future, mid-December, appointment with my PCP, would that be too late for the blood test?
  • Posted

Both are possible, although it is more unusual to not have a first outbreak until months/years later. If you are having an outbreak now that has been confirmed and typed by swab, then simply ask for the IgG antibody test asap. If you are still negative for the type you were confirmed with by swab, then it is a very recent infection, so your current partner for sure (assuming you've been faithful). If already positive, then you've had it for a couple of months to possibly years, so could be anyone.

• Posted

Good! At least there is a way to see if he unknowing gave it to me, or I potentionally gave it to him.

On on the down hill side of a very serious outbreak. The pain reminded me of child birth, it was excruciating! It was a hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

• Posted

Yes sounds very much like a typical primary outbreak...the first is the worst!
    • Posted

Curious to know which type you have, but HSV1 usually seems to cause nastier first outbreaks. Recurrences are usually much milder, regardless of type (and typically much less frequent in the case of HSV1).
    • Posted

Unfortunately, there was not a type indication on the results. I have an appointment with my PCP in mid-December. I can ask her.
    • Posted

That's pretty poor. The CDC recommends type-specific tests, as type does matter, so I'm amazed when clinics still perform combined HSV tests or don't inform their patients of type (and the best way to find out is via the initial swab). Hopefully they typed it, but just didn't tell you. By the way, try to do the IgG blood test no more than a couple of weeks from the onset of symptoms for the avoidance of doubt.

• Posted

My appointment is on the 19th of this month. The onset of symptoms was the 21st of November.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.