Clinching pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last year I had extreme pain in my gut area. I was on Ranitidine and omeprazole for over five months. I had a pancreatic scan, a gallbladder scan and an endoscopy. The results were all negative except for stage 1 reflux. During these months, I had clenching pain above my belly button, had absolutely no appetite, and if I did eat my stomach got very hard. This clenching pain went on at some times for at least five days. I lost almost 20 pound. After all the tests were done, I decided to quit the Omeprazole and ranitidine and my pain symptoms cleared up, but I still did not have much of an appetite. That's been about a year now, and I have not gained any of the weight back that I lost, and had a very painful attack this week. My internist has ordered a heatobiliary duct Imaging with cck, which I do not have an appointment for as of yet. For a few months before this attack I had quite a few stomach aches again, and the clinching pain attack this time lasted for a day and a half. Slowly my stomach is feeling somewhat better although still sore and gets crampy and hard after eating. I do not throw up but feel nausious.There has been no diagnosis for these symptoms. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for the typo: the test is Hepatobiliary Duct Imaging with CCK
  • Posted

Hi Guttie

The scan you are due to have is the best one to see the functioning of the gallbladder it's the only one that provides the right information when all other tests come back as ok.

My daughter was the same as you for 3 years and the test showed the gallbladder to be only functioning at 16% so it's been removed .

Hopefully this will give you your answer but to ease things it might be worth you trying low fat or free from diet as a misfunctional gallbladder doesn't cope well with fat.

Good luck to you .

• Posted

I guess your docs will have already tested for H pylori infection or other bacteria/ parasites, small intestine bacterial overgrowth, coeliac or other sensitivity etc -as they have done the usual scans? Hope your scan will not be too long as that may throw further light upon the situation. I had a lot of varying abdo symptoms when I had my gallstones and also a hiatal hernia and other GI issues; they are tricky to diagnose as symptoms may mimic one another. Good luck!

• Posted

Sorry to learn you're suffering with this!  I am wondering if your doctor has also done a liver panel to see if your liver is stressed, as well as other blood tests

Were the scans you had ultrasounds?  A CT scan might provide better imagry.  I would also suggest that besides the endoscopy you consider a colonoscopy, as well as an imagery of your small intestine.  Those would provide a thorough review of your digestive system.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you get on! 

• Posted

I had the gallbladder and pancreas ct scans last May, as well as the endoscopy. I had blood work 6 weeks ago and the liver was in the normal range as was almost everything else. The kidneys were not functioning as well as they should . I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago and it was also normal. No scans of the intestines.

As I am sitting here I am having sharp pain next to my navel on the left side and put a hot pad on it.

• Posted

Thanks for giving me more information. If they did an abdominal CT scan, they might have been able to view your large and small intestines anyway. It might be good to do an abdominal CT scan again, just in case.  

I'm sure you'll know more after the Hepatobiliary Duct Imaging with CCK.  I hope that you can get the test done soon as you're obviously experiencing pain!

Best of luck to you, and please let us know how you get on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.