Clobetasol gel verus Clobetasol ointment

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was resently prescribed clobetasol gel. I have been using Clobetasol ointment off an on for the last 5-6 yrs. Why the change? Is one better or more potant than the other. I have had LS for 15 yrs now. I'm 36 now. I can't say my LS is under control.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't heard of gel. I know the cream doesn't work as well as the ointment. You could try the gel but maybe call and ask why they changed it.
  • Posted

I never heard of gel. If you're not happy with the results so far, as my gynocologist wasn't after 18 months on clobetasol – she switched me to Protopic (Brand name of tacrolimus). It took six months, but I'm clear and had three adhesions on my perineum release and heal.
    • Posted

I don't know what to do any more! I have been on so many different medications. I know that was one that I was on for a while. I think maybe my gyn tried protopic before he put me on clobetasol. The way i remember I had severe burning with that as well. I have severe burning with Clobetasol, too. I wish I knew if this was a reaction to drug or if it is from the LS! I have very sensetive skin. I am useing clobetsol 3-4 times weekly. This barely keeps the itching at bay. I have often upped this to nightly for a few weeks, then back down, but the burning is so intense I don't know what to do with myself. I have talked to my gyn about this many times. He just says that is part of LS!
    • Posted

Have you tried the dietary route? No sugar/dairy/gluten.  Many people find complete relief with this. X
    • Posted

Yeah Protopic burns me, but if I wait one extra day before I use it, the LS burns all day anyway.
    • Posted

Does your Protopic burn all the time, like from one application to the next?
    • Posted

Morrell, I am waiting to buy some Manuka honey. Do you buy medical grade? There are so many different sites to buy Manuka honey, I want to make sure I get the right stuff.
    • Posted

I don't use manuka honey topically. I may have mentioned somewhere on here that when I was told by my TCM Dr. (15 years ago) to cut sugar, she said to deal with the craving by having a tiny spoon of manuka honey when it hits.

I'm really satisfied with the rather costly combo of three drops of pure frankincense essential oil in a dropper bottle of jojoba oil. I can apply it as often as I like. I suspect it would help your itching and burning.

• Posted

Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm having a very hard time with the no sugar thing.
    • Posted

I have been checking out the healing properties of both jojoba oil, and frankincense oil. They appear to be great healers! could you pm where you get these from? Thank-you, in advance!
    • Posted

Thank-you Morrell, for responding to me about the jojoba oil,and frankincense! I have been been using the jojoba oil without the frankincense,as I wanted to be sure that I could handle the jojoba first. I have been soaking in the tub with baking soda and using the jojoba oil. It  has been making me feel much better! I almost feel normal again!lol By the way, the clobatesol gel burned! I called and asked the nurse about why the Dr had prescribed the gel instead of the ointment, she said that it was probably a mistake! The pharmist said that she wasn't surprised that the gel burned, as it was an alchol based. Gel also dries almost instantly, so there is no rubbing it in.
    • Posted

Glad to hear things are improving. I didn't know there was a gel. The ointment is stiff and oily. So, I hope you'll get some.
    • Posted

Thanks, I do have Clob ointment. I am using it 3x times weekly, 2x a day, as the Dr told me to. I looked through my stuff, I had ointment, cream, and gel. Thanks to you ladies I now only use the ointment! The gel and cream are now in the trash.
    • Posted

I am sure the Dr told me back when he prescribed the gel, but I am not remembering what he told me for sure. What would you suggest? Things are definitly feeling much better.
    • Posted

I have a strip of recipe card in my bathroom drawer, wit MTWTFS on it in bold marker. I have a paper clip on the last night I applied ointment. So, since twice a week doesn'divide evenly, I do it every third day. When I've tried going down to every fourth day, I can feel stuff happening. You might be ready to try this routine. If it seems to get worse, then go back to once a day every second day. When I've read articles online, doctors are not unified about the use of clobetasol. I'm actually on Protopic, but the routine is the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.