Clobetasol no longer available?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was advised by my pharmacist that they can no longer get clob 0.05% and have been given Mometasone Furoate 0.1% instead.

Has anyone else been unable to get clob?

And does anyone understand how the MF compares?

Having just listened to Dr Goldstein's webinar, I am quite concerned as he seems very clear that clob is the best ointment for treatment.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would ring another compound pharmacy and check. I'm in Australia and there is no mention of it no longer being available. Sometimes they get it wrong too. 
  • Posted

I did hear that the GSK (who make Dermovate) factory burnt down. But presumably they will find a way of manufacturing again eventually.
    • Posted

I've just looked it up - they said in June that production had restarted and availability should begin to improve shortly. They also said the generic product they recommended in the meantime was Clobaderm. Hope this is all true because I've been anxious like you Oscars mum.
    • Posted

I've just had a new repeat prescription Dermovate yesterday with no problem. So all OK in the UK.
  • Posted

Thank you for the responses - rather than putting in a repeat prescription request which now includes the MF, I will drop in a note asking for clob/Dermovate as originally prescribed.

I feel less anxious about it now :-)

I don't think my GP knows anything about this disease based on the 3 years of raising the issue before being reluctantly referred to a lovely gyny who took one look and knew what it is - tho' the advice about using the clob effectively was non existant.

Thank goodness for this forum and Dr G's webinar which I admit I only watched after reading several posts urging that we watch it - I dread to think where I'd be if I hadn't discovered this forum.

I will be making sure the clinical staff and my GP are aware of it - you never know they might be prepared to point more newly diagnosed ladies in this direction if only for the moral support which for me has been invaluable.

• Posted

I have the MF cream...didn't work for me...but everyone is different so I would give it a try.  Let us know if it is successful for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.