cluster headache

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have had cluster headache since i was 21 im now 41 they come about every 2yrs and last from 6 to 8 wks they wake me after about an 2hrs after falling asleep sometimes 3times anight and can sometimes wake with it in the morning. they mostly wake me but sometimes on holiday if resting on sunlounger have had attacks i no theres nothing i can do you no the difference in the headache. i no straight away when i get one i am doomed for the next 6wks. and even though i had them for 20 yrs i still think iv got a brain tumur at the time its happening i wouldnt wish clusters on my worse enermy.

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am also a CH patient and after more than 14years of misdiagnosis the pain was correctly diagnosed. I just like to reply on this post because my CH remission cycle is also around 2 years (25 to 26 months). After this pain comes and stay for 5 to 6 weeks and then gone.

• Posted

I started having CH's when I was 29, 3 months after giving birth. I had one this morning at 12:15 am,

12/31/2014 so I'm starting a new cycle. What a great way to start the new year. I have 2 to 3 in a 24 hour period.I'm 55 now. Like you, I know instantly it's a CH. I usually go 3 to 4 years between cycles but I had one in January 2014. Also, like you I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. I call them Freddy Kruger headaches because you're afraid to go to sleep. I take generic Imitrex and it works well for me but it's hard to get 30, much less 60. Here in the states the pharmaceutical company put a cap on them and the Dr.s & pharmacy's will only prescribe or allow you to have 8. Luckily I have a great doctor that will explain to my pharmacist that these aren't your typical migraines and I must have 30. Then he gives me the highest dosage and I break them in half but I'm always stressed to the max about getting the meds.they are very expensive too. I've done a ton of research on these headaches and recently it has come out that hallucinogenics can break the cycle. Most people would do anything to break the cycle but I won't break the law and I would be terrified to take them but I read many articles about people ordering mushroom spores online which is legal, then growing their own. I hope the pharmaceutical company is working with this and can come up with something new soon. These HA's are called suicide HA's for a reason. They are totally unbearable and many people can't afford the meds. So I start my new year with these God awful headaches until at least March.

Great,just great. I am my very sick elderly moms only caretaker. That's one of the sad things about these headaches,they don't just affect you,they affect your whole family.

• Posted

I'm in the same boat you're in. I've been an episodic klusterhead for 25 years. I'm in a cycle now. 2 to 3 headaches in a 24 hour period. I take Imitrex for 2. The 3rd one is killer and lasts 3+ hours since it's not safe to take more than 2 pills in a 24 hour period.

My cycles last from 2 to 5 months every 2 to 4 years. Sleep is DEFINATLY a trigger. So is getting too hot so that may be why you get them when you're on your sun lounger. I wouldn't wish them on my worse enemy either. I have a folder 3 inches thick from research I've done. I feel for ya. I know exactly what you are going through. I'm so sorry.

Klusterhead Kim from the U.S.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.