Co-codamol addiction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Prescribed Co-codamol several years ago for back pain, my doctors literally dish it out again and again even if script isn't due, if I run out I'll buy paramol etc, I do suffer terribly with the pain if I don't have them, but do take many more than 8 a day, also often have upset stomach, headache, doesn't bother me taking them, but am worried what the amount of paracetamol is doing to my stomach? sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds to me as if you need to do a pain management review with your doctor, you shouldn't be consuming large amounts of Paracetamol, there are safer more efficient ways to treat pain, obviously I don't know your situation, or why your taking what, but stomach damage / pain is a direct result of the large Paracetamol consumption. 

The Paracetamol can be separated from the Codeine element of the pill, just look up "cold filtration methods" but you shouldn't need to be doing that if your under a doctors care!

• Posted

I think the headache and stomach upset are more likely to be a result of the codeine. I don't know what the amount of codeine is in the co-codamol the OP takes.It could be 8,15 or 30 mg.

• Posted

Paracetamol isn't bad for your stomach.It is very bad for your liver, but only if you take more than the recommended amount. Are you confusing it with Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen/naproxen etc? You can buy co-codamol over the counter, which would be a better choice than buying paramol. Horrible stuff.

• Posted

You need to ask your doctor for codeine phosphate as this does not have the paracetamol in which will damage your liver! Also get your liver checked out and be honest with the doctor about your situation x
    • Posted

Paracetamol won't damage the liver unless you take more than the recommended dosage. It's more likely that the codeine will damage the kidneys!

Side effects of codeine (or any other opiod analgaesics include)

nausea and vomiting (particularly in initial stages), constipation, dry mouth, and biliary spasm; larger doses produce muscle rigidity, hypotension, and respiratory depression . Other common side-effects of opioid analgesics include bradycardia, tachycardia, palpitation, oedema, postural hypotension, hallucinations, vertigo, euphoria, dysphoria, mood changes, dependence, dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, sleep disturbances, headache, sexual dysfunction, difficulty with micturition, urinary retention, ureteric spasm, miosis, visual disturbances, sweating, flushing, rash, urticaria, and pruritus.

As opposed to Paracetamol where side effects are very rare.

Side effects and effects of toxicity due to overdosage are two very different things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.