Co Codamol addiction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, 

I don't think I will get very far with feedback on this subject, but I read so many of the stories on here and it helps me so much that i thought writing down how I feel may help my recovery?

I was addicted to codeine phosphate 30mgs for about a year, it started off as a desperate attempt to stop a nagging toothache that paracetemol wouldn't touch (oh how I wish I just went to the denist that week) .. It stopped the pain and I got on with my housework with this warm, happy 'lets get this done' feeling and 1 tablet every 4 hours turned into so many a day I lost count.  

It dawned on me one night that I could be killing myself (I had no knowledge of this drug - stupid me) and I cried for hours about the thought of not being with my daughter... And I stopped, I haven't touched a pill since. 

Until I took a co-codamol, why did I get addicted to this pill? It is 500mg paracetemol and only 8mgs of codeine so I was back into a cycle of trying to get that first feeling I got the year before. So you can imagain how many I was taking in the end trying to get that 'buzz' I also tried N+ but I quit that successfully. 

I am on day 4 of having absolutly none in my system, I feel fine. I generally feel a little lazy and I go to sleep as soon as I get in from work, waking up at about 2am for a hour or 2 - I have so far have been sucessful in getting back to sleep. I have been taking vitamins and immodium like a duck to water..  The only withdrawal sympton I can say is the worst is the mental side of things? I still crave that feeling and I am scared I will also have these feelings. 

Does anyone know if these thoughts will subsides? and if the withdrawal symptons will come soon? (I just want to prepare my self) 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hay , I don't normally talk on here but first off well done 4 trying to come off everything .Have you seen a doctor cause it could be much easier having a doctor on board helping you on your journey believe me going cold turkey is hard . The first few days is ok but it will get harder over the next few weeks . You do wat you feel is right just try and stay strong cause it's all will power. I know first hand wat you are going through and how hard it is . If you need to talk and need support message me . I had a friend on here who helped me a lot when time spent were tough all the best .

• Posted

Hu Xnicolaxo,

Good for you! Your thoughts are clear. Your goals are sound. And you have the greatest reason to hang tough and succeed, your daughter.

You are in for good days and you are in for bad days. You will crave food.

Addiction consists of two components. Everything we put into our bodies causr our bodies to have a chenical reaction...even carrots! This means that when we stop putting something into out bodies, our body protests by not sleeping, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, shakiness, chills, etc. We term this aspect a physical dependence.

The second component of addiction is mental dependence. This is the part of you that yearns for the buzz.

The physical dependence does not take as long to recover from as the mental aspect does.

Do nit give up. Max and I are here for you to write to. Perhaps you will make an emergency plan of what to physically do when the going gets rough...like writing " I am going to stay clean because I love my daughter" over and over. Maybe you plan to really clean a closet out. Paint the house.

And sleep. Our bodies produce Melatonin in preparation for sleep. Consuder taking Melatonin no more than 3 mg two hours before bedtime.

Cheering for your continued success

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Had a co codamol addiction myself recently 8 a day 30/500mg on prescription..was taking 4 at a time to just get the buzz..had to tell my GP what I was doing...We just reduced them over a period of time now I'm left with just 2 a day that I take in the middle of the night because I suffer with insomnia..and they get me back off to sleep great guns... and I don't feel I need them through the day anymore                     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.