Co-codamol withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Doctor's Assistant

Pearl Wilson

Hi, I'm Pearl, the Doctor's Assistant. What seems to be the issue?

You

Hi pearl, I'm recently off paracetamol /codiene as I was terribly addicted to them. I have been on solpadol effervescent 30/500 for 12 years now and was taking the maximum 8 daily, then not feeling relief from pain after a while of taking them I increased to 10 and further increased to 12 daily as I told the doctor I was taking more and he increased my monthly amount on prescription, then I also started taking otc solpadeine max to top up although they only contain 12.8mg codiene it was helping a little in conjunction with prescription ones. Then 18 months ago I had a operation on back unexpectedly and the pain was awful and on top of my pain I was already suffering I couldn't cope. I started using my 300 prescription tablets in about 2 weeks as well as topping up with otc and then because I ran out 2 weeks before my next prescription I was then just using otc and taking a box of 32 in approximately a day and a half. It's all come to light I broke down and pain management consultant took me off prescription and I had to go cold turkey 4 weeks today. I was prescribed morphine to take Dailly, 50mg zomorph twice daily and 25mg pregabalin to help with existing pain and muscle spasm as well as help with withdrawal pain. As you can imagine withdrawal was horrible and it was well into the second week before they eased, the pain relief was helping and I was weak stiff and tired but comfortable. The 3rd week was OK but this past week I've struggled with cravings and the pain is unbearable although taking the zomorph. I've started reaching for paracetamol but not helping and yesterday I broke down when I realised I had taken 12 in less than 8 hours. I've stopped myself taking them today but with great difficulty and using all my energy to fight the urge and deal with pain. I know it's only paracetamol but I'm so scared I'm going to start taking more and more and even use more zomorph! !!! Please can you help me with any advice on what I need to do or who I should tell

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You can't say "only paracetamol" because that's the drug that attacks the liver and most of the time you don't know the damage it's done until it's too late so please be careful. I don't know what country you live in but in the UK a lot of Health Trusts have an Addictive Behaviour department where people can be helped with any withdrawal.
    • Posted

Thank you matron for your reply, I'm currently receiving no after support for my withdrawal, do I ask my gp about the behaviour group you suggested? I'm in the uk
    • Posted

Hello Panners. The Addictive Behaviour Service is staffed by doctors and nurses and they give you the appropriate treatment and support to help with your addiction. Yes ask your GP but see if you can find them in your area because where I live you can self refer. Good luck
    • Posted

I'm sorry to trouble you again matron, I've got an appointment to see my gp tomorrow, as I went in there today and begged as just got in such a state with anxiety and the pain unbearable and I just kept reaching for the paracetomol , I had to get out the house as was just going crazy that I was behaving like this and letting myself down , but I just couldn't or can't control it or what my mind is telling me, it's like I have a little person inside my head and I can hear her quite clearly and I say her because she sounds just like me telling me to take them because you need them and I've just got no strength in me to fight her off. How long will this go on for matron? I'm tired from it all now and have little in fact no fight left in me and just feel like giving in to my demons. I'm off work atm as believe it or not I work in pharmacy, I'm a dispenser, and just can't be there atm with all the temptation and continuous reminders of the medication I'm trying to forget. But I dont want to leave or lose my job because I'm good at it and enjoy it but can't manage it atm especially with my pain and anxiety, I've got oc health Wednesday, I'm scared they won't understand and make me go to work and if they did, I'd have no choice to quit as I can't do it but I want to return soon but struggling to see light at the end of this tunnel and wish I could and know when things will get better and I can return to normal life
    • Posted

Panners I'm so sorry you are going through this but as others have said you can't do it on your own. You need help with this. Regarding your OH appointment on Wednesday, they can't make you go back to work, it's your GP who signs your sicknote and he's the one who says whether you're well enough or not.
    • Posted

Dear matron, I went to see my gp today as it was the earliest urgent appointment considering my circumstances, ideally I would have liked yesterday but another day waiting was OK. In the meantime I told my partner yesterday afternoon I was taking paracetamol and not in the appropriate manner and he was upset with me but supportive. The doctors was also good today he cannot increase my zomorph as he said it's already a high dose but he can increase my pregabalin over the next few weeks to try and manage the pain more effectively so I start on 50mg bd from tomorrow and go back next week to further increase as can go up to 300mg daily he said but over a period of time. He has said I'm unwell but with the issues atm that is to be expected and will get better but will take time. He has referred me to pain management sessions to group discuss how to manage pain but I don't have to talk if I wish not too and also to see a councillor who can assess the most appropriate professional body to be referred too and help with the addiction /withdrawal. As for work he said he can set a date for me to return as he thinks it will be a while yet and he is going to do me fortnightly sick notes for as long as he and I feel needed. I'm dreading oc health tomorrow, so many people have scared me to the point I dont want to go as they said she is a nasty unsympathetic lady!!!! Ive not got the strength to argue or sit and listen to critism or be judged so if so I will just quietly leave and if they stop my sick pay like they say they can so be it? My health is more important than any amount of money. I just want to say thank you matron for your support and advice xxx
    • Posted

Panners,

It's rough. It really is. The only thing stopping me from taking codeine again is the fear of having to go through withdrawals again. That and the absolute need for me to not let my family/partner down again.

The physical symptoms are torturous, but it's nothing in comparison to the continuous psychological "tug of war" going on in your brain.

I was on x2 lyrica (pregabalin) a day. One in the morning. One at night. It worked wonders for my restless legs and various other symptoms but I suffered too many side effects from it. I took it for approximately 5 months.

The phycological circus going on in your head can stick with u anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.

Me personally, I found and still find the biggest challenge is finding something to fill the great bit hole that the addiction left behind. I took that stuff for 9 years. It was embedded into who I was. I have to completely re-discover who I am now I don't have codeine. And it's a constant challenge. The best advice I can give u is make sure u have support. I never would have done it on my own. I know that for fact.

Good luck to you mate I'm here if u have any questions or wanna chat.

Nikki

• Posted

Hello Panners I am so pleased you have taken these important steps it just shows everyone that you are determined to beat this and now you are going to get the help and support. As for OH well in my experience these people aren't doctors or nurses so they cannot diagnose and they have no right to judge. As long as you have a sicknote they can't stop your sick pay.
  • Posted

i am totally addicted to them and dont know what to do,,
    • Posted

You've made the first step by admitting to yourself your addicted to them and that's a very difficult thing to admit to ourselves. Now you can maybe progress on to the next step and open up to a close family member or friend or your gp, I went straight to gp to get advice and then when I knew what the plan was to be , it was then I sat down with family and work so I could tell them but also assure them I was taking steps to come off them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.