Cocodamol tapering off

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all , not sure if some will remember me on here a good few months ago taking approx 10-15 30mg cocodamol every day for about 7 years , I tried cold turkey on New Years to no avail , but am now down to approx 3 solpadeiene Max 2 times a day , so 6 tablets approx a day , I had a few down falls along the way , but am getting there , but am really feeling it lately , with cold like symptoms , feeling generally rotten .. But as soon as I pop 3 pills I'm back on top form so it is clearly withdrawal

I'm going to Vegas in September and starting to really panick that if I take some with me ( for emergencies ) if I'm not fully off them by then which I do hope to be !.. Just in case , that customs may take them off me and il be in hell for 10 days ... And not enjoy my holiday , I can't just come off them I know that as my body just shuts down I feel like death .. Any suggestions , tips , please , have you been to Vegas also , do they confiscate them ???? Please help ...

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Fantastic news and great progress. I guess you'll have to see how you feel along the way. Rushing stopping is never a great plan in my experience - tends to get very unpleasant.
    • Posted

Thanks oly , gettig slowly there .. I think and hope ...

It's a long battle ... Hope your well xx

• Posted

Hi lyndsy my wife is hooked on paracemol and codine she has 16 codine a day plus 32 on Saturday the paracetamol she takes up to 20 hun I feel so bad I can't help her come off them I tried cutting her down but no joy all the best to u hun xx
    • Posted

Thank you , I hope your wife eventually try's to taper down that's an awful lot to take .. Is it for pain ?? Or was it originally and she became hooked ?, hope you don't mind me asking and how long for ?..

Codiene is a demon it really is. Xx

• Posted

Hi Theresa can you get her to talk to doctor. Those pills dont all have paracetamol in them do they? That's more dangerous than the codeine
    • Posted

Hi Jo I have tried speaking to the doctors but they wont help her as she buys 32 a day of paracetamol I cant stop her as she take them without me knowing I tried speaking to mental health team but they say wait another 2 years before they can help her I just don't know what to do next hun xx
    • Posted

Hi Theresa. So what is the codeine / paracetamol strength she gets from pharmacy and has 32'a day? What are the strength of your meds and how many of those does she have? And finally the 8 a day from doc are they pure codeine ir do they have paracetamol too? Sorry I tried to PM you but don't know how!
    • Posted

Hi theresa,

Is she taking straight codeine and then the 20 paracetamol on top of that?

Either way at this point it's not the codeine you should be worried about. Paracetamol is tolerated by the liver in small doses. High doses it is extremely toxic.

do you mind me asking where you're located?

Nikki

• Posted

Hi! Exactly how many paracetamols a day is your wife taking? Also how many codeine tablets and what strength (mg) is she taking daily?

Liver damage from paracetamol is slow, and if she is taking more than 8 tablets a day regularly, she is severely putting herself at risk of liver problems.

Additionally, paracetamol is not addictive - why is she on such a high dose?

• Posted

Hi hun she been taken it for about 3 half years she started to take it for the high she now takes more and more so scared that I will find her dead one day mental health team don't want help me at all they said c how she is in 2 years time I am at my wits end hun don't know what to do next I wish u all the very best hun xx
    • Posted

Oh goodness I am so so sorry to hear this , please keep in touch ... This gives me some inspiration to try and quit this quicker than I am doing ..: , is she getting it from chemists all round ? Or doctors prescribing it ???.:: she must be in serious health issues ..:: worried for you ... And her .. Thinking of you , please keep in touch .. , if like to hear how you get on .. It's really awful how something so easy to get and readily available this drug is , can destroy you .. , you must be so strong X
    • Posted

She gets 8 codine a day of the Dr she takes mine hun as I suffer from chronic pain syndrome so she takes my pain killers to she takes all these tablets within 1hr on Saturday within 2 half hours breaks my heart but they come before anything else I will keep in touch hun all the best for u xx
  • Posted

Hiya Lyns!

Well done - you're getting there!

Don't be worrying about Las Vegas, I've been 3 times (two of which when I was hooked on codeine) and I had some in my bag and the rest in my case and they didn't bat an eyelid. And trust me the first time I took loads! Please bare in mind though that you can only get anything in America with codeine via prescription. You can't even get ordinary cocodomol so make sure you take enough to carry on your tapering! What's good on holiday though is in the heat - the withdrawals never affected me half as much. I don't know why but I never seemed to take as much codeine when in a hot place. And depending when you go to Vegas it'll be bloomin hot! I went in March this year and it was already 27 degrees! If you need any Vegas tips give us a shout! Carry on doing what you do - you're doing great!

Jayd X

• Posted

Thanks jayd that means so much !.. , getting there slowly but surely , that's a big weight off my shoulders knowing I can take stuff through with me , il get my doctors prescription before I go , and pack 2 strips in hand luggage and rest in case , we're going in September for 2 weeks , can't wait ..

Hopefully the heat will help defo with the withdrawals , in hoping to be hardly on anything by then , but defo don't want to go out there with nothing and struggle ... Xxx

• Posted

Hi ya sounds like you are doing really well and are making progress. I have been there and it was a long road to get off the codeine. As long as meds are in box with your name on label you will be fine I always got a letter from my prescribing GP to be on the safe side. No country ever asked to see it even though I declared drugs I had. Jo xx
    • Posted

Thanks jo , will defo keep the packaging and stuff , good idea , big weight off my mind knowing this xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.