Codeine cold turkey help

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi all I've been taking codeine based products for 3 years now starting 8 a day now upto 15 a day maybe more.

No one knows about my addiction.

I did go to the doctors a year ago who put me on a taper plan it worked to start then I went back to square one so now it's time to cold turkey.

I have constipation, tummy ache, and mood swings all the time also have gained weight.

I really need people's help with this any advice from people who have done cold turkey.

I don't want to do suboxone or other things on just want to get back to the fun mum I was before I started taking these horrible things.

I started taking them for back pain which as gone I'm pain free it's just an addiction.

Thanks guys

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hun, I'm in the same boat 😖😫 I started taking them about 4-5 years ago after severe ear infection and having wisdom teeth out. I found that not only did they help with the pain they helped with my mental pain of a bad relationship..... I never fully understood they were addictive and what the withdrawals would be like! I have tried many times to stop but I can not cope with the sweats I get and always end up going back to them! The longest I did was 3 days..... I can't taper I've tried that too! I need to go cold turkey, I have ran out of tablets and have an appointment with doctor later to renew my prescription but I'm thinking I will tell him I don't want them and try to stop again?! It's so hard! I'm the same they cause mood swings and depression with me too and also I have gained weight.😫 Sorry I couldn't really give any advice. It's just a matter of doing it and getting through about 5 days of hell I think and then there's the mental side of it which probably continues for a lot longer 😔 Xx

• Posted

Hi hun thanku for replying it helps knowing I'm not alone with these devil pills. How did u get on with gp? X

• Posted

If there is one peace of advise I'd give it would be stop now before you lose your life . Seriously. I wish you both all the best at this. I almost died in my addiction I am lucky to have escaped with all my facilities in one percent. If I can do it you can to. If you have Any questions I'll be happy to answer .

• Posted

Hi sandy would you mind telling why you nearly died? And how did you come off in the end did you go cold turkey? How long were your withdrawels and how was the mental side of it and time with that?? I know everyone is different. Are you ok now? And happy? I'm really thinking of not getting my prescription later! But I also need to work I can't take any time off and worried how I will cope xx

• Posted

Hi Dash sorry I took so long to get back to you. Regarding the codeine withdrawals ...to do it cold turkey is possible but a very hard way to do it, I tried that time and time again , over and over in the end (2015) I asked my husband to ween me of them so I had 2 in morn and 2 in afternoon for a couple of days then down and so on over a week it made the physical withdrawals so much easier.Then came the hard part, the psychological part ...you see I took those wretched pills as I thought they increased my energy and made me more motivated in the end the longer I took them the more I had to take to get any affect, they just made me so sick..my organs were shutting down and I almost died (I shouldn't b here) even after hospital I went and took more as cold turkey gave me bad bad cravings and the hospital didn't put me on any discharge plan hence why in the end I couldn't do it on my own and asked my husband for help. I am out of that cycle now it took alot of perseverance on my part but I really really wanted off them..I knew I would die other wise as my tolerance level was way up there and I had to take  a lot of codeine pills in the end I just needed help.I am happy now but I am an addict, I don't drink because one is too many and more is Never enough, same with codeine. It is a battle but you can win it anybody can who really wants to. I hope Iv answered your questions ..if there is anything else you would like to know I am here.x

• Posted

ask for help from someone close to you...it helps stop the lieing we do to ourselves. 
    • Posted

Thank you sandy I am currently weening off but using tramadol to do so. The doc agreed to use this method as I would not be tempted then to take more and the tramadol keeps the withdrawels at bay. I know I'm just throwing something else in but like I say I am using it for withdrawel and will taper each day so will be off completely in ten days I'm hoping?! 😬 X

• Posted

Tramadol is also an opiate.It does not make  sense that it is being used tio wean off codeine which of course is also an opiate.
    • Posted

dash I do nt wish to interfere but tramadol will not help you to get off codeine because tramadol is an opiate just like codeine is. Good luck xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Jane I'm just going off docs advice and I delayed a bit because of people saying it was still an opiate and I do myself believe it is ........ it's just so hard to go cold turkey😫 I went docs again yesterday and I do have the tramodol but no more codeine. I am going to try and use the tramadol as a taper because if I have codeine I can and will take more. But I really do think that the tramadol will allow me to taper as I won't take more of them because it's the unknown to me?? I know it sounds crazy but it's worth a try? 😖 Thankyou for taking the time to message me xxx I will keep you updated! I'm hoping to try and taper quite quickly and from today I have realised that the tramadol does not give me that buzz feeling so that's got to be a positive I think?!?! Xxx

• Posted

Hi I understand .

You sound determined to get off the codeine so I am sre that you will succeed. It sounds a mammouth task at the time but trust me however impossible it all seems it is possible. I am living proof of that.

Take care xxx

• Posted

Thanks Jane xxx I just worry that I won't know who to be without them if that makes sense?? Like I'll be depressed etc but I am anyway and spend all my time googling how to quit etc?! 🙈 Xxx well done you!! Do you find your mood and energy has increased now Jane then when you were on them? Xx

• Posted

Hi Dash

Yes I feel much better without that drug suppressing my endodorphins and taking away my interest in life itself.

Be aware that even a tiny quantity can now have themost horrendous effects. This is common it is just that a lot of people do not like to admit to it!!!!!!  xxxxx

• Posted

Dash people quit when ready to and when they realise the damage these drugs do to everyone.

You can quite ct or aper. I chose ct because tapering prolonged the agony!!!

• Posted

I just had a memory of being in addictive addiction to codeine.We went away and it happened to be an isolated place, I ran out of nurofen plus and was withdrawing badly, the only way I could find relief was to eat the coffee grind from our coffee machine 😱It was terrible.

My advise is to ween off all addictive pills and start fresh as it only leads to illness or death. Xo

• Posted

It was suppose to say 'Active Addiction'.

• Posted

Totally agree with you I'm also scared of what I'll be like will i go back to the fun mum/partner again. How are you getting on hun x

• Posted

Hi I’m new to this and don’t even know if you’ll see this. I’ve only been taking codeine since sept but been taking it constantly in the last month as my back pains got worse.  I’ve lost a lot of weight had no appetite and been depressed and had anxiety and hallucinations so after googling I decided on Thursday I wouldn’t have any. Today is sat and I’m having panic attacks, sweating, cold, sobbing in general just a mess.... help???
    • Posted

Hi Melanie,

I am at day 8 after approx the same length of non stop use. The first 3-5 days are the worst. I found using some natural supplements in things like cramp eze helped a little. But I'm no Dr. Have you got any support whilst you go through the detox? The worst will pass but then it does become a real mental battle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.