Codeine gallbladder liver pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 30 year old female with fibromyalgia, I have taken paracetamol and codeine (500/15mg) for 7 years 1-3 times daily. This past year I have had a nagging upper right quadrant pain. 3 x ultrasounds have came back negative for gallbladder or liver problems and various blood tests. Only one coming back with slight fatty liver but my most recent came back negative after using milk thistle. I have recently been trying out cymbalta 60mg. I have had a 6 week abstinence from codeine and the pain reduced dramatically in my right quadrant; however the pain in my joints were too bad so I started again. My GP doesn't think the codeine is a problem, however tried me on Tramadol for a few days, but this made me really out of it! My alcohol consumption is fairly high and I have been recommended to reduce this. Which I have done in the past but the pain remained. Could codeine be causing liver/gallbladder pain but not be evident in the scans and tests?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear FlowerFace,

If anthing is affecting your liver it would not be the codeine but the paracetamol. Opiods have much weaker liver impacts than paracetamol and are safer in that respect; however, paramcetamol (aka acetaminophin) does help poids such as codiene absorn and react. 

Tha alcohol may also contribute. How long has this been going on? COuld it be a pulled muscle from how you sit at your desk or something?  

• Posted

It could be. This a good idea for taking any kind of pills. Because pills eat your stomach linning drink some milk when you take ur meds. Ibuprofen and ather pain meds mostly OTC can mess with ur liver even ur kidneys as well. I dnt know what tramidol did 2 u, but it works great for me. They way i take mine are 3 times a day along with a nerve/muscle relaxer thats called baclofen works great but only thing is you have 2 take together mayb that would help u out better. Cymbalta is a great med i was put on it recently as well, but the codeine can cause constipation like most opiates and opioids do. I used to take 30mgs of morphine 2 times a day, but with the tramidol and baclofen now i cut my 30's in half and just take 15mgs 2 times a day..

• Posted

Hi I take Cymbalta for pain and two other medications if I were you I would cut down on your alcohol intake. I would be more worried about this than the meds. Alcohol damages the live , and other organs. I used to drink before I started taking my meds and after starting the meds I would get really sick so I had to cut out all alcoholic beverages. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi I take Cymbalta for pain and two other medications if I were you I would cut down on your alcohol intake. I would be more worried about this than the meds. Alcohol damages the live , and other organs. I used to drink before I started taking my meds and after starting the meds I would get really sick so I had to cut out all alcoholic beverages. Good luck
    • Posted

Also I would watch Tylenol or aspirin or whatever 500mg mix you take with your meds. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.