Codiene addicted for over 5 years , desperate to come off it , starting to get pain in back etc

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there , I found this site only just now as I can't take it any more .. Iv taken codiene / cocodamol / solpadeiene max for more than 5 years now daily , the most was 6 solpadeiene max in one go daily , then I found out I could do codiene withdrawal from paracetamol via cold water extraction ,, I have been doing this for a long time every night to get me in a relaxed state to go to sleep for about 3 years now .. I crush approx 20 8mg codiene cocodamol caplets, every night , .. It has gotten so shameful I am hiding it from my family my partner my work colleagues , my handbag is always filled with empty packets of pills , to the brim , I go between chemists in town so they don't cotton on but they are starting to give me looks when I come in .. I am deeply ashamed but can't seem to stop .. I go to America next year in September and I'm getting married .. I don't want any more lies or secrets .. I need support and a plan in place .. My doctor gives me 200 30mg cocodamol a every 3-6 months and they're gone in 2 weeks ... It's getting bad , if I take too many without cwextraction I have pains in my back , and side , I'm scared my kidneys will fail and my liver .. But I can't seem to stop , once I tried a few months ago and I had the worst feelings ever , cold turkey = mood swings , not sleeping , achy itchy legs , major stomach cramps and runs , I'm so scared .. But I so want to stop , is anyone willing to help and possibly give advice or support and I could support them ????

0 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lyndsy ,

you need to go and see your gp , firstly to check out whether youve done any damage , but more importantly, to help you .You wont be the first he has ever seen and they are mostly quite good if asked for help , even if theres nothing to give you they are supportive, I was on huge doses of oxycodone for a back injury that ruined my nursing career, and I can promise you,horrid as CT is, it wont kill you and the drugs you are taking just might , you have to take it slowly , and just grit your teeth. Theres no "easy" route , just determination and bloody  mindedness! 

You have a lot to look forward to and need that to be your goal, it is possible , and many people on here will tell you the same, just dont listen to,the little voice that tells you its all too difficult, 

exercise , good food, and a lositive mental attitude will work , though its not easy , but a few weeks are worth it all 

good luck 

• Posted

Hi fran ..

Thanks so much for your reply .. Do you think cold turkey is the way to go then ?...:

I would have to be off on holiday from my work or something , as I wouldn't be able to cope at my work , and they don't pay me for being off sick either ....

What do you think ?

Did you go cold turkey ???? Xx

• Posted

And how long roughly till it would be out of my system ?

Xx

• Posted

I just cut down v slowly from 180 mgs oxy per day , by 5 to 10 mgs every few weeks, the first 150 wasnt a problem , but then .... I had huge amounts of back pain and felt my surgery had failed , but sudden.y realised from my nursing background that you can get muscle cramps , so just got on with it .

it took me from Aug to december , but id been on these opiates for years, and wont take you that long , a consultant friend told me it can be done in a week or two if you dont mind the side effects but Id prefer to be kind to myself, and honestly , once Id got to a few mgs , skipped one night , then two, then that was it . I dont feel any craving , Im nicer to be atound   I cooked xmas lunch for 6 with no dramas, unlike the year before , and could have a drink ...except Ive discovered Im not that bothered ablut it now! 

The restless legs are vile , but a hot bath , even in the middle of the night and just walking around helps, 

so I personally think its the best way , just go for it , otherwise , theres always a reason not to . i have been supporting a friend of mine who had a prescription drug problem and  sometimes was quite tough on her , and told her to stop feeling sorry for herself , which felt cruel , but she did it in a few weeks and said I was the only one who told her things straight , but thats just my personality I gurss, make a decision , and go for it! 

Im happy to be here for you if its helpful, but wont be offended if you think Im not in tune with you ! 

Wishing you a very happy new year , what anexciting time you have ahead! X

• Posted

sorry about the spellings and grammar , trying to have a conversation at same time!  Good luck , you can do it ! X
    • Posted

Thank you fran that helped a lot , I hope to come on here every day now until I'm free from this ..

I think the best bet for me would be to go cold turkey , but because i work 5am starts at my work I will struggle sleeping and will get sent home from my work , and not get paid .. Which will result in my other half questioning me .. He knows I have a problem and is always saying you need to come off these , bite thinks I only take a few at a time each day ... Not 20 tablets a day ... I'm basically throwing my money down the toilet .. I know this ... I have a 10 day holiday from the 22nd January .. I think this will be when I will stop. Only because I couldn't handle being at my work ( standing only , no room to sit behind counter ) .. Last time my back and legs hurt so bad , and I only lasted 3 days..

Well done for getting off them fran , really well done.

I need a kick up the back side so to speak. So your help is greatly appreciated xx

• Posted

I think I might cut my take in half starting tomorrow to ease it as well , then go CT on 22nd Jan .... Do you think that would help too ?....
    • Posted

Youve already made the first step Lyndsy, take it slowly , be determined , make it difficult to get at the tablets ... Lock them in your car at night. So it makes it hard to access them ( who wants to go out in the rain at 3 am ?) if you cant give them to anyone , when you cut the tab in half , dont leave the other half around , far too tempting ! 

Im sure you will develop your own strategies, I find a milky drink and some carbs at 3 am send me back to sleep  for a short time , I take 2 paracetamol 4 times a day to help with the aches and pains , but my salvation is a smiling photo of my 4 yr old grandson who I see every day and wouldnt dream of being grumpy with!  Yours may be your wedding dress! 

I am around , but sadly visiting a very ill brother over the new year so  internet may be a bit patchy , but will be thinking of you , keep your morale up , remember it wont kill you , its just miserable for a few weeks  of the rest of your life . Xxxx

• Posted

Hi I was on 1200mg of codeine a day. I used to buy it on line so it was pure codeine. This was for 5 years and I was also addicted to diazepam.

I started detox in August - my whole story can be found on this site.

Been private rehab, GP, cold turkey and now under my local drug centre. I'm on 14mg of diazepam and 4mg of sub along with lots of support.

Any questions ask away.

I still have a long road to travel but I have also come a long way too.

Well done for deciding to deal with the problem.

Sue

• Posted

Hi there sue , I will read your story , how do I find it ? I'm new to this site ..

Wow how amazing , so it is possible to get there ..

Do you recommend cold turkey ?.. I'm really scared .. And I'm worried that if I seek a gp help I would never get any kind of pain relief again if needed in the future ?... Or have that on my medical record ..

I'm thinking of weaning myself off them .. Or going cold turkey in a few weeks when I'm off on holiday for ten days at home ....

What do you think ?... What made you want to stop ? What made you really start ?.. Was it the feeling of calm / peacefulness you were drawn to like me ? Like a warm feeling ...

If I knew it was only 2 weeks and I would never look back I could go through the pain and hell... I really worry il always be drawn to this poison.

Thanks so much for getting back to me sue. Xx

• Posted

If you click on my name at the bottom it has the discussions I have started.

Cold turkey is hard physically and emotionally. You were not on as much as me so I wouldn't recommend a substitute like I'm taking.

Cold turkey could ruin your holiday - think bad flu however you may find it fine. I needed to take 240mg to get out of bed!

Tapering is best usually. I told my husband and he kept them in a safe and gave me a daily allowance. You hopefully will then just feel mild withdrawals.

I recommend getting in touch with your local drug centre. Remember if your taking it because it makes you feel good like I did then it's not just stopping it's staying stopped! All those hurtful feelings come back - well that's my experience. I couldn't of done it on my own but again everyone is different.

I am confident you can get off the amount you are taking. Talk to your GP mine was so much more understanding than I thought. There are so many of us out there!

Sue

• Posted

Hiya Lyndsy,

I'm Jayd. I feel like I always disagree with what the majority say about getting help but I guess it's because I got no help personally. Click on my discussion and you'll see how similar our stories are! I don't feel I can help a lot of people on here because the drug choice is different or the circumstance is different but ours is almost exactly the same. I was sick of walking in the pharmacy with my head down trying to look different taking my glasses on or off, knowing which chemist you went to yesterday or the day before so you can't go in again for a day or so, knowing which person served you hoping it was a different person this time and saying Solpadeine Max tablets please and them handing you a 20 box and hoping they have a 30 box instead to last you longer or them saying no sorry we have solpadeine plus knowing that's just not good enough. I 110% know how you feel and it really got to a point one day where I thought it's just got to end this. I couldn't hide it from my boyfriend any more he kept commenting how many I took all of the time (when he actually had no idea HOW many) and I was taking that many and getting no effect but the relief of the addiction withdrawal I just had to stop. And I did. I set a morning in my mind and I gave myself a week. I took a few cocodomol throughout the day to keep the nasty withdrawals at bay to a degree and I took less and less and less and then a week from that day (it was a Tuesday) I took none. I took it an hour at a time. And when it came to the 4 hours where I'd take another 8 tablets I thought no, Jayd, another hour and again the hour after and again and again. The withdrawals aren't fun. You've had them, the achy jittery legs the sweats the tummy troubles but if you take it all an hour at a time (and stock up on Imodium!!) I promise you you can do it. I did. And I can't even ever imagine how I took so many tablets. My poor body! It seems mad now because I read on here beforehand people going getting other drugs to wean you off and this program and that and that's fine for some people I'm not judging but it was never going to be right for me. It sounds daft but I took the withdrawal symptoms as a positive. Sweating profusely - that's fine my body's getting rid of the codeine. The tummy troubles - that's okay it's making up for all the times I didn't poop for a week! And after say 4 days, you start to feel normal again and good and proud of yourself and if you can get past that point which you almost did before I promise you, you won't go back. You can talk to me whenever you like I'm here to help I truly am. Don't be a stranger! Let's do this together! 

Jayd x 

• Posted

Well said JaydJames , I agree completely ,  just have to feel its all positive  and then get on with it! 

Well done 

• Posted

Morning jayd ...

I read your message early this morning ,just on my break now at work to message you back , thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me , it means so much.

Gosh our stories with are almost identical aren't they ???? Wow.. I'm pleased you managed to get out of this vicious cycle , and I think in young to do exactly what you did .. Can you tell me , did you do it while working ? Did you manage at work etc ?.. Did you sleep at night ?.. What did you do with the achy legs etc ? Exercise ?, take hot baths ?..

Well iv Nernst my work for 4 hours now and been up for 5 hours , at my work , I would usually have had about 8 tablets by now and iv only had 2....

I feel ok so far .... I think that 2 at a time when I start to feel rough will ward it off , and iv set myself a goal too , a week to be off them .. So and I will check in here daily to keep updating .. I'm hoping that will help too ... Can I ask how long you've been off them jayd ?? And have you relapsed ever ???.....

Lyndsy X

• Posted

Thanks fran , iv only taken 2 this morning .. And I would normally have gulped about 6-8 by now ... 😬
    • Posted

Sorry jayd just read that back loads of spelling errors ! Damn predictive text !! Hope you got the jist of my words !!!
    • Posted

Jayd , fran .. I have just had a look at local support groups in my area and everyone must be referred to from my gp .. Which won't be happening as I'm not ready to fess up to him just yet ... So I will be just coming on here for support !...

Starting to get a bit of a sore back .... sad

• Posted

Well done , you can do this, just keep cool and realise the side effects will pass, and dont go backwards . Im proud of you x
    • Posted

Aww that made my eyes fill up ! Thank you , just going to take it once day at a time , I'm determined to do this , I remembered a few months ago I was in turkey and I went to the chemist and was told it was illegal to take or sell codiene based drugs there I was horrified !!! Luckily another holiday maker a friend had some , it really does take over your life doesn't it ?... Thank you again ..?i will keep updating how I get on , hope your well too X
    • Posted

Hun you can try NA or if you put in where you live there should be a drug centre nearby and I definitely referred myself. I told my GP out of choice as I needed to take time off work so needed a sick certificate.

In my opinion the physical withdrawals although awful wasn't the worse bit.

You asked if I took them for that warm feeling which I did. After the physical withdrawals were over I struggled without my crutch.

I also found everything that has happened to me in the last 5 years eg my mum dying hit me in the face as we don't feel our feelings properly while taking opiates.

Just want to prepare you for it as I was so focused on getting through the physical stuff the psychological effects were such a shock.

My consultant at the drug centre said it was because I did it too quickly. It does take a while for your brain chemistry to recover. Look up PAWS - again everyone is different but best to know all the possible hurdles so you can be prepared.

Have you got a close friend or partner you can tell for support? I attend a women's meeting that my local drug centre runs which is such a help.

Well done on cutting down this morning. Have you written out a little tapering plan for yourself?

Sue x

• Posted

Also I have a really bad back from a horse riding accident. I now manage by taking ibuprofen and paracetamol together.

I also get migraines. I used to be able to dose myself up and carry on - now I just have to accept I have to take to my bed for a day. Same with my endometriosis.

• Posted

Hi sue, thanks follow r your reply , I'm so sorry to hear about your mum , I had a bad miscarriage last August ( still don't have any kids ).. I feel thinking back it started much worse after that , I haven't had a sex drive for almost a year now either and haven't done anything with my other half for about 7 months .. I'm hoping once that is out of my system I will get it back I read somewhere it affects people's sex drives .. sad ... I'm forever making excuses , and I just want to put my pyjamas on when I walk through the door at evening and relax from the codiene .. If that makes sense .?... No hassles .. I know I can't keep going on like this so it has to stop ... I will look into that further regards typing in my postcode or area then .. Only thing I feel is I would be terrified of someone saw me and knew me .. My other half has a lot of friends ..

Back is pretty sore now ... Is this a side effect ????

Your doing so well , how long is that now you have been off them ??? Xx

• Posted

Plus I will start making a journal , or some sort of noting on my phone ( where it's hidden ) , for the tapering side of things ... Did you go cold turkey sue or taper off ? Xx
    • Posted

Ouch sue that sounds painful , I think ibuprofen will be my saviour , I'm scared of taking too much more paracetamol .. My liver and kidneys are probably ready to pack up and walk off , did it take you long to get back to normal ?..( apart from the feelings coming back to you of course ) X
    • Posted

Scrap me asking your story , I have just read it on your profile sue , still learning how to work this site, silly me ... Big hugs X
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. They say the good news is you get your feelings back and the bad news is you get your feelings back!

I feel like a teenager again not being able to cope with anger and upset - I end up shouting or crying.

I was taking codeine for 5 years and went through so much trauma in that time. I'm a mum to a 16 year old so whenever something happened I had to cope so I'd just take more codeine to deal with it. Now I've stopped all those feelings over the 5 years have slammed me in the face.

I am getting so much support from the drug centre. I have a key worker and I see the consultant he is fantastic. The groups I attend and this forum have been such a great support.

Absolutely on the sec drive! Opiates totally take away your sex drive! My poor husband hasn't had any for months!

I started to detox after my honeymoon in August. First I went cold turkey (I had tried to taper off them about 10 times but even though they were locked in our safe I'd still find a way to get more so tapering had always failed) I got through the physical withdrawals in about 2 weeks first 6 days being the worse. Then as I said the psychological stuff started. I got so depressed. In the end my husband was terrified of living me alone and in desperation he booked me into a private rehab. It was called Promis in Kent. Unfortunately we could only afford 2 weeks - that cost us everything we had £9000.

When I came out I had been clean for about 5 weeks. The therapy I started in there had dragged up so many issues. They had me eating healthy and at regular times (very important when detoxing especially not to get hungry) exercising, yoga, meditation plus all kinds of therapy. Unfortunately it just wasn't long enough and 2 weeks after coming out I relapsed.

I then turned to the local drug centre. This was now October time. I'm currently on a script of 4mg sub (remember I was taking a lot more than you, I wouldn't suggest taking sub yourself it's incredibly strong and addictive. I was taking 20 X 60mg codeine a day) and 14mg of diazepam (was taking 80-100mg a day). Although if I were you I wouldn't go on to sub you can still get support from the drug centre and they can even help you put together a taper plan.

Some people who are addicted just get through the physical withdrawals (which is no easy thing) and then they can start living their life again. However those of us that were taking it to hide our feelings have the added hurdle of dealing with all those feelings we have suppressed with those little pills.

I have also always had poor mental health so I was bound to find the psychological stuff hard. Remember that because you have been taking opiates your brain has stopped making those feel good chemicals (along with your natural painkiller hence the back ache) and this can take months to return to normal.

But it is possible. I have still got a long way to go but I have come so far. I'm slowly tapering off the diazepam and subutex and because I pick it up daily from the chemist I can't take extra.

They have told me if I struggle to come off the last bit they will take me in for 4 weeks. I will do this as I can't let my husband and daughter see me go through the physical stuff again. They have also said they can get funding for me to go on somewhere else for 3 months if need be. I am about to start counselling and then CBT so I am hoping I won't need the extra 3 months cos I will have dealt with my demons by then.

I work for the NHS and have been off for so long. I have been honest with them but I don't think they will keep my job open for much longer.

Obviously this is my story and everyone of us is different. All our withdrawals differ and some find it easier than others but it is possible. I really wish you the best of luck. Always around if you need to ask anything. We all are. There are some wonderful people on this site at times it's the only way I've communicated with anyone.

Ps be prepared for your sex drive to suddenly come back!! Comes back high but settles back to normal along with everything else.

Good luck will be thinking of you!

Sue x

• Posted

Hiya Lyndsy,

how is today going so far? Well done for only taking 2 today! That's amazing. See and it's not that bad is it.....we can live without them! I did go to work yes! It was hard because I sit at a desk behind a computer everyday but I just kept my legs moving a lot, drank ALOT of water (it helps!) and kept positive! Every achy leg and every sweaty episode and every headache was me being in control of my own body and me kicking the addiction. It's hard to get in that frame of mind but when you're there it's a bit easier I think. 

of course you can ask - I am now in my 7th month of being codeine free. I haven't had an relapses because I don't want to go back to what was a dark dark time. I still think about it every now and again when I'm in the chemist and I eye up the solpadeine and think nope I'll stick with the flu tablets I came in for and I'll get a headache and think hmmm ya know what'll get rid of this.... And I think nope I'd rather have the headache. The jittery legs for me nothing helped I tried a bath and stuff but In the end I just stood it in my stride and took some herbal sleeping tablets to get me off to sleep.

good luck today and remember to take it one hour at a time.  

Mwah

Jayd x 

• Posted

Hey Hun ..

That's good to know you still look at them but are strong enough to walk away again ...

Iv still only taken 2 so far today , and iv only 4 left in my packet in my bag , the chemists all shut at 4pm here so I wouldn't be able to get any more till the2nd anywhere after 4pm ...

Do I dig my heels in and keep going ?..

Il be having a few drinks tonight with it being nye ..

So I'm hoping I won't notice it too badly the side effects ....

Xx

• Posted

I sent a message back but don't know what happened it said it would be moderated my message ? I didn't swear or anything in it ?...

Or put any links in it ?...

Just wanted to say thank you , and that I have only taken 2 still so far today , I only have 4 left in my purse ,,, contemplating running to the chemist before 4 when they all shut for tomorrow ..

Or should I just dig my heels in and preserve ?... I'm having a few drinks tonight so I'm hoping I won't feel any bad effects too badly tonight ....

Il prob be climbing the walls tonight or in the morning ... But perhaps that's the best time to try and stop ?...

I won't be able to get any , anywhere after 4 tonight ... I'm so pleased your off them for 7 months now that's amazing .. So so good , and makes me think I could really do this , I know a lot including your self were on so much more than me a day , mg wise , but I know the withdrawal symptoms are terrible even at my level of taking them xx

• Posted

Hi sue , thanks for letting me in , and giving me your story , seems you've really had it rough , I know my levels of mg in take are no where near some on here or your self , but I think if I keep going the way I'm going I know it could be close ,, your doing amazingly well , and I only hope your employers with the nhs will be considerate enough to accept none of this is your own doing really , I bet your husband and daughter are so proud of you for how far you've come as well !.. Iv still only taken 2 today and I'm feeling a bit sore headed , and sore achy way ... Iv only four left in my purse , and the chemists are all shut as of 4pm today and not open until the 2nd ... At earliest .. I'm debating whether to run to chemist now and get more ... Or dig my heels in and go cold turkey ... I'm having a few drinks tonight with friends as its nye , so I am hoping my symptoms won't be quite so bad to notice them ..., il probably be climbing the walls tomorrow ! .... Xx
    • Posted

I just wanted to say thank you for answering , I don't expect any replies really , and it makes me feel like I'm not quite so much on my own. Xx
    • Posted

Stop thanking us! We're here to help! ☺️☺️☺️ You know what I'd do (and I know it's easier for me to say this) but it's the best day of the year. It's the final day of 2015. Imagine walking into 2016 almost codeine free!

I am not condoning drinking alcohol as a relief whatsoever but I always felt my withdrawals were a little easier after a beer or two so tonight might be easier for you. I wouldn't just stop completely after taking two today. I maybe would go and buy another but that's your last packet. That's the last red and silver box you buy this year! It's the last time you slice your thumb on that foil when your trying to get the tablets out so fast!

It may not seem to some like a "real" addiction because you can buy them over the counter, you don't have to go and buy illegal drugs from anywhere but it is an addiction. And you have to ease your body out of it just as we eased into the addiction (nobody goes from none to taking 8 tablets every 4 hours sort of thing) I think taking your two today has been such a massive achievement and I don't want you having a horrible time over the next couple of days because you've run out and nowhere is open and then running to the chemist on 2nd of January and going back to taking loads to ease the feelings.

Going off one of your posts before I too went to turkey on holiday and was shocked about how they treat codeine. I went to America and the woman looked at me as if I had two heads and said noooooo you need a prescription for that and the same in Egypt. I think it should be the same in this country because God knows we would all be better off if it was! Let me know how you get on though it's always easier if you've got people checking in on you! Jayd X

• Posted

No worries! We've all been where you are. Others have helped us so we want to help others as much as we can.

My daughter is amazing. She is so understanding. She got fantastic GCSE's and is now doing 4 difficult A levels. It's raised her awareness which is so important. We can buy over the counter these unbelievably addictive pills, or dr's prescribe the even stronger ones without thinking about the possible addiction they could be starting.

What did you decide? Did you get more? Day 1 and 2 without are actually not as bad as you would think - it's after that it really gets you.

I hope I didn't come across as belittling your problem because you weren't taking as much as me. I already couldn't stop when I was where you are and you're exactly right you would end up taking more and more and more till you don't even ever get the warm feeling you are just taking them to stop the withdrawals. It's fantastic that you are taking back control at this point. And stopping at any mg is difficult but definitely possible.

Have a great time with your friends tonight.

Here's to a codeine free new year!!

Sue x

• Posted

Hi sue ! Happy new year !

Just to say , I didn't buy any more , I had 2 at 8pm then flushed the other two , chemists closed all day

Today , so means none today ...

Got a sore back and headache , feeling like iv got a cold , but iv not .. If makes sense ...

I figure if I can get through today and tonight I might be able to do this ...

Not looking forward to being awake tonight though , il have hot chocolate and a bath ...

No I didn't think you were belittling at all smile ..

It was me that said about not taking as many , I hope your having a lovely day x

• Posted

Hi jayd .. Just to say happy new year !

Hope you had a lovely time ..

Iv not had any tablets since 8 last night , and have none either , chemists all shut till tomorrow .. So I figure if I can go today and tonight , I might just be able to get through it ...

I hope .. Back is sore and headache ..

I don't see the point in getting more , from the shop , especially if it doesn't get much worse ... Xx

• Posted

Well done! That's amazing! Lots of hot baths. Drink plenty of water. Do you take multivitamins? I took them when detoxing.

When do you have to go back to work? I think your right if you can do today then keep going!

Just remember you will be fragile physically and mentally so spoil yourself.

Take care, happy new year and keep letting us know how you are.

Good on you!! 👏👏👏

• Posted

Iv been at work since 9 this morning , on till 6, ! Joys of retail ! So keeping my mind busy ..

Although it is dead here ! No customers !

Thank you sue for your words and support ..

Il keep the updates going .. smile

Take care your self xxx

• Posted

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Oh my days that's the spirit! No it doesn't get much worse if you can deal with this you'll be fine - a few days and you'll be over the worst! This is my hardest time because I'm hungover and I used to just sink 10 solpadeine Max and I was back in action after 10 minutes! Now I've just got to put up with it! I've started taking paracetamol again - I didn't want to before because I thought I might end up getting back into the same old habit with them but I'm happily taking paracetamol (just two!) when needed and i don't feel like taking loads.

I'm proud of you! You're doing so well! It's an old cliche but new year new (clean) you! Keep it up!

Jayd X

• Posted

Well yes at least it's keeping you busy.

You do know you could have a bad tummy coming? Make sure you have some Imodium.

Day 3 and 4 are the worse - if you can get through the next couple of days you'll be free 😀

Save the money you would of spent and buy yourself rewards.

Talk soon 💕

• Posted

Thanks jayd , I know I'm surprised I'm not climbing the walls .. I have taken paracetamol 2 and ibuprofen though to get rid of my headache , but my back is so sore , don't know why !..

I really hope I can keep going , tonight will be the test , my other half said taper off them , but I think if I can sleep tonight I will keep going , I'm off tomorrow and Sunday so if need be I can stay in my bed and suffer it !..

Happy new year to you xx

• Posted

Iv stocked up on Imodium just in case .. Not looking forward to it !.. I had to run to the loo earlier !

Yikes sad ...

Looking forward to finishing and getting home to a nice hot bath and my tea xx talk soon

• Posted

Also it's good to know you can still take paracetamol and not go back to it , your so strong xx
    • Posted

Struggling a fair bit now I'm home , getting a bit achy and irritable sad
    • Posted

Struggling a bit now , getting achy all over and irritable ... This sucks sad X
    • Posted

Don't give up Lyndsy!!!!! It's annoying I know and it feels sh*tty but I promise you it's so worth it! Just take it an hour at a time X
    • Posted

In my experience it will get worse before it gets better.

You probably need to accept this weekend you're going to feel like you have the flu. The positive about going cold turkey is it is over quick. Like ripping a plaster off.

Remember you always have the option of your husband helping you taper. Cut your intake in half and then taper. But if you can do it the way you are by this time next week you'll be completely free.

Hang on in there x

• Posted

Thanks sue , my aim is to just keep going ... Il see how I get on in the morning .. Just had tummy troubles too , been in the loo for 30 mins sad

What a nasty substance codiene is eh ? Xx

• Posted

My reply is being moderated. I think I may have sworn in it! Oops! The tummy troubles in my opinion lasted far longer than any other of the symptoms of WD. But Imodium apparently has an opiate like substance in it that is too big to be absorbed into the bloodstream therefore not stopping your cold turkey but has the same effect as opiates do hence them helping in the tummy trouble area! I would suggest buying lots of them (the cheaper ones work just as well and are half the price) because this was my biggest pain in the backside (no pun intended) persevere though you're halfway there!!!! X
    • Posted

Thanks jayd .. Feeling pretty rotten today , migraine like symptoms and tummy troubles !... My other half bought me another packet and is keeping hold of them in case I can't handle things tonight .. Didn't sleep much at all last night either xx
    • Posted

Hi jayd ... I had a bit of a set back since my last reply on here , feeling pretty down and fed up to be honest .. I think I need to face facts and realise it's actually harder to come off these than what I first thought .. I'm now tapering off them .. It's mainly at night I am feeling the worst , so taking 5 before I went to bed helped me to sleep .. I will take 4 tonight .. And give my self a week goal to try get it out out my system that way .. Feeling quite fed up xx hope your well
    • Posted

Hey Lynsdy,

Not to worry! It's not a race hun! There's no hard and fast rules for anyone! At the end of the day it's an addiction. A nasty one at that! there's no point being miserable because I think that just makes you think sod it and just go back to taking the same or more than before. I tried quitting a few times before I did but I never had the determination that I had this time (so much so after I quit the codeine I quit smoking a month afterwards - I was on a roll!!!!) honestly Hun even if you taper off week by week and just take a few less and a few less and a few less then you'll eventually be in a place where you can just say I don't even need you anymore and bin off the codeine! Keep in touch please! Mwah. Jayd x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.