Coeliac Disease - Possible Dermatitus Herpitiformis and Lactose intolerance?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this but wanted to know if there was many people out there that are experiancing the same problems as me? Very longgg story.

Basically i was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease approx 5 years ago...now im not going to lie its taken a long time to manage it and i often struggle to cut gluten out completely but i felt that i had learnt what triggers it and what doesnt and managed it that way. Anyway this year i wanted loose a few pounds for a holiday so went very strict with my diet for about 4 months but ofcourse once the holiday had been and gone the diet slipped and i fell back into old habits and gradually my coeliac has flared up.

Since October i had started to show a variety of unusual symptoms for me and i'm struggling to get a solid diagnosis from doctors.

My first symptom started with a raised bumpy rash over my forehead and cheeks..wasn't itchy or red and was only really noticeable to touch, this passed and then a few days later i developed the same rash on both sides of my neck..wasnt very itchy just stung when cold air got to it...pharmacist advised me to take antihistamines...and eventually it dissapeared.

Then i noticed a red raised patch appeared on my neck roughly around 3cms wide and tall, it was only slightly itchy and looked dry..i decided it could of been a form of psoriasis and booked a doctors appointment for the following week to discuss it along with my very achey elbow.

On the run up to this appointment i noticed i had developed a sore on my chest and it looked slightly blistered..but i carried on and just added it to my list..my doctors appointment was on the friday and i had got to the tuesday when it all started to go wrong...tuesday i had a latte around 4pm and by 6pm i couldnt eat a thing without needing the toilet and nothing was staying in me (Disgusting i know!) Put it down to the coffee irritating my stomach..but then the next day the stomach pain continued and i started to feel really run down and was developing flu like symptoms..wednesday for lunch i had a jacket potato with cheese...usually a safe option but within 30 mins id noticed id developed more blister sores on my chest, sides, neck and back so decided to go to a walk in centre.. there i was diagnosed with Pityriaisis Rocea..id never heard of it but accepted and waited to see my doc the next day...after speaking to my doctor he agreed that it may well be that or Dermatitus Herpitiformus and has advised me to go back in 2 weeks prescribing me only steroid cream.

Now initially the blisters stopped appearing and i was calm, the headache dissapeared after 2 days and the flu symptoms were gone. But yesterday evening i ate cheese on gf bread....30 mins later i had a banging headache..gassy bloated stomach and my legs began itching (this had been on/off for two weeks but there was no rash) and today ive woken up with MORE blisters.

The more i think about it the more i think it can only be DH as its reacting to what i eat but to me Dairy seems to be the culprit? I also have a bumpy rash on my legs and arms but initially put that down to Keratosis Pilaris and the skin on my fingers often peels around my nails and finger tips.

Im massively stressed about it and feel like im wasting time when it could be being treated now rather than waiting another 10 days to see a doc! I really feel they don't understand Coeliac and its links and i just get fobbed off with random diagnoses each time.

I dont know anybody else who has coeliac so dont really have anyone to compare with..hence why ive took to the internet!

Anyone with any similar experiances??

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ive had DH for most of my life.  You need to ask to be reffered to a gastroenterologist. They will need to do a biospy of the gut to be diagnosed.  I also at times have horrendous bloating and pain, usually after having my breakfast which is usually cereal and milk.

Good Luck

• Posted

Oh god again, i had a camera down my throat for my Coeliac diagnoses and it was horrific.

Do you get skin blisters? I could handle the stomach pain i just cant handle having blisters appear daily and my skin feels like its burning one minute then hyper sensitive the next!

Thank you for replying.

• Posted

Yes i get blisters, but i am on Dapsone as well. its a combination of quite strong antibiotics, been on them about 40 plus years. they work within hours usually.takes the itch away and the blisters are gone quite quickly. i think they only start you on them if the diet doesnt help.  Im trying to wean myself off them, I recently havent taken one in a month, but had to this morning as I looked like i had nits, scratching my head constantly. I only tend to get them in the hair now and occasionally on my face. Thankfully.  I have over the years had them all over my body, it seems to move around.
    • Posted

Ohhh ive been reading about this Dapsone drug, im hoping when i go back the doctors next week they will give it me. Thats if i hold out that long...in the last 2 hours ive developed about 6 more blister clusters 😢 Feel like i can't eat anything..think im doing good because its gluten free stuff then i realise it contains milk so still could aggravate it. Its my own fault..should of took coeliac much more seriously and i quite possibly wouldn't been dealing with this right now. I have been under alot of stress lately as my mums having cancer treatment so that may well if triggered something. We shall see what happens...just don't want it to get me down over christmas. X
    • Posted

I find when i have a flare up I feel stressed rather than stress cause it. I dont think aa GP will prescribe the drug (I maybe wrong) Ive always had to explain my condition to GP's rather than them already know anything about it.  Ask for a refferal to the hospital, If you have to wait, take the plunge and pay privately maybe you will get seen and diagnosed quicker, yeah it may cost you but in the long run it maybe worth it.  I would do it that way.  

Ive never stuck to the GF diet, Ive been trying since i was a kid, and just never could. as im getting older though I realise I may need to have to do it to come off the tablets completely. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.