coeliac or gluten intolerance?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I took a blood test for wheat allergy and got a nagative/not allergic result. 

However, I have major intestinal issues etc when i eat wheat, even a bit. So is it coealiac or gluten intolerance and why didn't the test catch it? I know it is not all in my head! smile

Oddly enough though, i can have a slight bit of the wheat-and-soy based soy sauce in foods and be ok as long as it is in moderation. but anything else with wheat kills me.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have a friend who is gluten intolerant and she found out herself. No Dr or test revealed it. She is fine now. So go onto gluten free bread and foods
  • Posted

My niece reckons she is gluten intolerant and has given up gluten and everything is fine. It was not diagnosed though. I gave up gluten because I am on steroids, I find gluten free bread dusgusting so I just don't bother to eat bread and do not really miss it. I have cut out simple carbs too and feel fine without them. 
  • Posted

You seem to have found a simple solution to your digestion problems. As long as you haven't got an underlying, as yet undisclosed illness whats wrong with your approach? Mind you, it is a real challenge to avoid wheat based products, but you know that already. I think that the problem lies with differentiating between allergy and intolerance. Could be a very mild allergy or a severe intolerance i suppose. Do you keep a food diary? It's worthwhile because it can give you some valuable information that you can try to correlate with the ill effects or not of other foods. Good luck.
  • Posted

How are you feeling? Did you give up gluten, or ask for tests for Coeliac Disease

If you were only checked for allergies, then a Coeliac reaction wouldn't be caught (as we found out with our younger son). There's a specific panel for CD and if that looks questionable/bad, then you move on to an endoscopy with biopsies and the biopsies will confirm or rule out a Coeliac diagnosis. But, if they ran the Coeliac Panel, too, then you probably have an intolerance but not an allergy or auto-immune reaction. It's not great news, but best news considering your symptoms.

Please let us know how you're getting on!

• Posted

Hi gem,

Just like to say that a doctor told me the nhs don't test for intolerances. Allergy tests show only allergic reaction. I'm wheat and dairy free and find I can't do the soy sauce you can without an affect! Also, my intolerance got worse over time. Wheat and not just gluten (I can eat oats) affect me. Have had it 20 yrs so am used to it now. Bread wise-genius seeded is good-expensive though.

Hope that helps

B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.