Coffee destroys me. Anyone else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, all the WEIRD symptoms that gilberts seems to bring about. Does anyone have a weird reaction to coffee? I get EXTREME thirst after drinking even a cup. It seems almost like an allergic reaction. Every doctor I have told dismisses it even when I tell them stopping drinking coffee almost single handedly removes the excessive thirst. It is almost imposible to deny the cause and effect relationship it has YET I have not been able to find ANY evidence online of anyone having an issue with coffee. Hoping that some people with Gilberts might come forth with similar stories. Hope everyone is feeling well with Gilberts. Chime in if you have two cents to add. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You have no idea! I had iced moccas once and for the rest of the day it was like i was hungover. Jelly legs, constant peeing, headaches, exhaustion. It was horrible. My boss let me go home from work, so yes, when it comes to gilberts syndrome don't ever listen to the doctors, listen to your body
  • Posted

Hi Arthur

I always enjoyed a cup of coffee until recently, I was half way through a cuppucino and was overwhelmed with nausea. I have not had once since. If you look on the British Liver Trust it does give you guidelines as to diet.  Most recently I have had a problem with potatoes/ pasta.....these make me feel like my chest is about to explode. Also be wary of sweets/ sugar/ chocolate etc as these tend to thicken the blood.......

• Posted

Hey thanks for posting as it does comfort me to hear people going through the same. I will check out the liver trusts website.
  • Posted

Hi Arthur

I think that we all have our own experience with Gilberts Syndrome but in the end it all amounts to the same. Bad reactions to food/ beverages/ tiredness/ exhaustion/flu like symptoms/ low vitamin D etc. Talking about it helps with these random symptoms. It is so difficult to maintain any sort of wellness but then this is our Liver we are speaking about. Just out of interest does anyone have a problem with smells/ aromas/ cooking especially Garlic bringing about nausea?

• Posted

Yes but I never associated it with Gilberts. When I smell some perfumes, candles or incense I get headaches or feel nauseous
    • Posted

I also have a problem with Vanilla either as room fragrances/ candles and food items.
  • Posted

Yes I do too! But I still have two cups a day because I can't kick the caffeine habit. It's the only thing that keeps me going during the day otherwise I get completely exhausted. I have two small kids and work so I have to keep going. I'd rather feel thirsty and nauseous then incapacitated by fatiguesmile

a bit bit sucky but I don't know how else to keep my energy levels up?

• Posted

Hi, Arthur, you might like to hear my experience with coffee. I've been suffering with excessive violent belching for a long time. I discovered that I had low stomach acid. (Which explained why the antacids supplied by my gp made me worse. Whilst in hospital and fitted with a gastric tube I identified that when the contents of my gastric bag turned green that was when I started belching. I take digestive enzymes which helps tremendously. But still had the odd do. In the last year things changed. Drinking water caused severe gas. I started having strange sensations that forced me to lay down. I felt like I was dying. But it would pass. These episodes were getting more frequent plus bouts of exhaustion, poor sleep and frequent night visits to the toilet. Then one morning I had a milky coffee. An hour later I had a black coffee. Then the horrible sensations worse than normal floured me. At that point I made the connection with my poor health and caffeine. I stopped all caffeine and haven't had those feelings since. I found out that caffeine relaxes the pyloric sphincter hence my bile reflux. This would also explain why drinking water was a problem as it readily passes from stomach to bowel and back again. The bouts of exhaustion disappeared. My sleep apnoea got better. I can drink water again with no gas. I can lay flat in bed no acid reflux. I suspect if caffeine relaxes the pyloric sphincter then it could effect other similar muscular valves. In fact one drawback is I started suffering severe constipation. I put it down this sphincter tightening up like all the rest. I now control that with lots of fruit and veg. Within a week of cutting out caffeine I feel 20 years younger and alive. There are other nasty ingredient in coffee besides caffeine and I for one will never drink it again. Hope this helps. Oh and before I forget my memory has improved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.