Cold feet at night = blocked sinuses in morning?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Hopefully I got the right forum here - feel free to move it if its wrong smile

Bit of a weird one here! I've been battling with a really annoying sinus for many years. It seems to get exasperated if I sleep without socks on (and my feet go out from under the cover during the night) - as well as if I don't have both my arms + hands under the cover all night. This occurs all year around, not just the winter.

I then wake up, and have really bad snuffles (sneezing, blocked nose etc). It clears up for a while, but its not very pleasant!

The room temp is min 17-18 Celsius at night (I have a sleep tracker, and this records the temp in the room as well).

Any ideas on how to get around this? I've been to the docs for it - and he gives me anti-histimines (for hayfever really) - but nothing gets rid of it.

Any suggestions are welcome! smile

Thanks!

Andy

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have same minus cold feet ☺️ I have a spray for the nose Nasofan Aqueous, supposed to bring down the inflammation. Mine started, May 2013 I thought it was going to be a summer, thing, never have had any problems with Hay fever. It then progressed around September, the same year to Asthma too. I have very good Preventor inhalers that control it, with a medication too. But if there was a medication that controlled Ryhinitis, I would be a very happy bunny. I have bought a nasal wash, to help clear the passages, on Amazon. Steam inhalent, like Eucalyptus (Care Eucalyptus in a bottle from chemist), drop into a bowl of steaming water and inhale with towel over head, not boiling though. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I already have beconase hayfever, and sudafed mucas relief - which kinda help, but they give me a sneezing fit right after, so I wonder if they do much! 

I also have a neti-pot, which I'm using to flush the sinuses out 2 times a day.

>>I have very good Preventor inhalers that control it, <

do you happen to have the name of that? is it prescription? i have a steriod one, and non-steriod - but i don't really use them, as they seem to make it worse.

i also use the "olbas oil" to help me at night, but its not a fix as such - it just helps loosen it, so i can clear out before trying to get to sleep

cheers

andy

do="" you="" happen="" to="" have="" the="" name="" of="" that?="" is="" it="" prescription?="" i="" have="" a="" steriod="" one,="" and="" non-steriod="" -="" but="" i="" don't="" really="" use="" them,="" as="" they="" seem="" to="" make="" it="" worse.="" i="" also="" use="" the="" "olbas="" oil"="" to="" help="" me="" at="" night,="" but="" its="" not="" a="" fix="" as="" such="" -="" it="" just="" helps="" loosen="" it,="" so="" i="" can="" clear="" out="" before="" trying="" to="" get="" to="" sleep="" cheers="" andy="">

do you happen to have the name of that? is it prescription? i have a steriod one, and non-steriod - but i don't really use them, as they seem to make it worse.

i also use the "olbas oil" to help me at night, but its not a fix as such - it just helps loosen it, so i can clear out before trying to get to sleep

cheers

andy

>

• Posted

The Preventor inhaler is for my Asthma not the Ryhinitis (non seasonal allergies). I have been given by my doctor the Antihestamin Fexofenadine, (Ryhinitis)  120mg but I take an extra half. I read on the internet, 180mg can be given. I was using Benedryl with Acravistine, but I get the Fexofenedine on prescription free in UK as I am 65. 

Just keep keep an eye on this website for regular updates, and try and be posotive 😀

• Posted

Ah ok smile I already have the Fexofenedine (pink tablets). I'll get an appointment booked with my doctor,and see what he says about the Antihestamin Fexofenadine - I'm willing to give anything a go atm.  10+ years of this crap, and its going my head in rolleyes (and I'm only 31!)
  • Posted

I do find certain chewing gums with Menthol, helpful, clears the airways. Have not chewed gum since a teenager, but these Airways gums helps with breathing. Also some lozenges, Strepsils for blocked noses too. Not sure if we can put these on here but will have to see. On U Tube there are some videos showing how to massage your sinuses to help with drainage. It all helps but no complete solution unfortunately 😒
    • Posted

haha yeah, I but those in the box (literally!). Also get the tub ones, as they are good for on my desk, when I get through quite a bit. 

The only downside with lozenges, is that they tend to be very sweet, and I come out in loads of whiteheads when I use them sad

I'll check out youtube for the videos - thanks! 

• Posted

Hi, do you have any dental fillings or root canals?
    • Posted

Hi Jason,

I don't have any root canels - but I do have a fair few fillings (most are fillings on top of fillings, as I used to be really bad with looking after my teeth!). I also had a wisom tooth out a couple of months ago  (although, this sinus issue has been going on for years, so don't think its related to that)

Thanks

Andy

• Posted

Hi Andrew,

Your description of your sinus problem sonds like you're alergic to something inside your bedroom.  It could be most anything such as dust from the bed or something in your bedding.  I have been diagnoised with sleep apnea and have been using a BiPap sleep machine.  This type of equipment could certainly filter out all of the allergens that enter your nose and mouth while sleeping.  I would recommend you ask your physician about obtaining one of the "sleep machines"  to try.

Also.....during the winter months my feet and hands get extremely cold.  I previously used socks when I went to bed.  I discovered that a heated matress pad was fantastic to pre-warm my bad and stay comfortably snug all night long.  A matress pad is quite inexpensive for the comfort they povide.

• Posted

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm kinda thinking the same thing. I've given up alcohol (which has helped a bit), and am now weening myself off cafinne (hard!). Once those 2 are done, I'll see how it goes. I've always had a "cold" body. For example, when I get in the shower - I'm told by the rest of the family (who use it after), how cold I have the water. Yet when I go in after them, I have to turn it down as it feels like I'm going to get burned! 

The sleep machine sounds interesting. The only problem I can see, is that I work from home during the day, so I'm stuck in this room even after I get out of bed =)

Im pretty good at cleaning my room ( I use one of these - and its scary how much it brings up: [link removed]) 

Maybe I will just have to see how this cafinne detox works (its amazing how much stuff has cafinne in :S)

Cheers

Andy

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.