Colds and flu

Posted , 5 users are following.

Here in Australia this winter it's been widely acknowledged as being one of the worst flu seasons on records and the majority of my work collegues have had time off with the flu or bad colds.

l'm wondering whether there is a possible "plus" of having PRV in that having thicker than normal blood may help these "bugs" penetrating the immune system. "Touch wood" l've never had the flu in the 25 years that l've had PRV and rarely get a cold.

Any thoughts out there or am l just "lucky" ?!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I live in America...you did not state your HCT or your profession and how often

you wash your hands.  I do not wish to invade your privacy but these factors have

a bearig on the results of having flu or not.   Thank you

• Posted

Not a problem Frances

l am a Financial Controller working in a medium size office. My HCT is between 16 & 17. l wash my hands on average 6 times a day l guess. My wife is a Maternal Health Child nurse and deals with mum's, babies and young children on a daily basis and probably picks up several colds and viruses a year which l do not catch.

l do get quite severe hayfever but have had that all my life which l take an antihistamene for.

cheers

• Posted

The numbers may be from a different scale that is used in America.  I have had 2 cancers prior to developing Pv and they are now in remission.  I have been lucky most of my life prior..  I wonder if it has to do with family genes.

I am English/Irish.  Today our weather temp is 35C and it is our summer

and hope that it will end soon.  This is taking me down more than the illnesses.

• Posted

Got my haemoglobin and HCT confused. My HCT is around 49 which hopefully relates back to your scale. Due for a venisection next week. When l had my DVT and pulmonary embolism  5 years ago it was around 55 which is way too high. The DVT was a much caused by my ruptured achilles tendon from basketball but the PRV would have not helped my cause!

I'm of English and other European descants. Only 16C today but we are finally going to get some warmer spring weather over the weekend, up to 24C on Sunday. It gets into the 40's here in Melbourne in the summer.

• Posted

Lilke you, my HCT has gone up to 56 but today Sept. 9th..it has dropped for the last few weeks to 44 and below to 40 today.  I drink about 60oz water everyday, walk

for at least 1/2 hour and never eat red meat..or take any iron pills.  I just started the red meat and large amounts of water and walking and it conincides with my HCT dropping.  Anyhow I got off the track that was your original question...Flu

I get a flu shot every Oct. and hope for the best.  Wishing you continued good health.

• Posted

Thanks again for your input. My wife always has the flu shot but i've never bothered. My PRV keeps the flu away - maybe !!
    • Posted

Hi Frances - interested that your HCT came down when you started the water. - Since I started drinking 3 Litres of water daily my HCT has come down from 0.52 to 0.40.  Alison
    • Posted

I hope that the water has done its job...but have you considered the platelet level.  HCT is the volume and platelet is the clotting (possilbe DVT)

What is you platelet level??? normal is @400 and NOT to go over 700.

Are you still eating red meat.  I have always since getting PV drank water maybe not as much as I am now but not eating red meat I feel

that this has also contributed to containing the PV.

• Posted

I have had the flu 2 or 3 times, i don't the discease protects you. you just maybe have a good resistance and long may it last.
    • Posted

You are probably right. Wouldn't mind a few days off work though!

• Posted

I'd say you must be doing something right Paul.  Trouble is, you never know which bug (or virus) is coming your way.  Suspect your immune system is pretty strong.  Don't let PVR get in the way though, it does affect your immune system.
  • Posted

Hi Paul, not sure if PV helps fight off flu etc. There;s always a possibility of something new being a breakthrough. I am on Hydroxyurea for PV and it lowers the immune system to a small extent. When I first began taking it, I got pneumonia. My Haematologist lowered my dosage. I always get a pneumonia and flu shot now, and have been great for 3 1/2 yrs since diagnosis.

harrishill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.