College discrimination

Posted , 12 users are following.

So since my surgery I have been trying to go back to college as i have exams at the end of the month. My college told me they wouldnt even let me come toclass or on the premisses unless I was in a wheelchair. Iv been on the government website and apparently that is against the law. I have now got a wheelchair so that isnt the main problem.

The main problem is I need a room to myself as sitting for more than 10 minutes leaves me in agony that sometimes does reduce me to tears, so having my own room means i can stand up and shake the pains of when needed, also along with shaking of the bum pains from sitting and stiffness from surgery. College will not do this unless I have a letter frommy GPs or surgen. Well my GPs are addament they will not write me a letter as they dont do these types of letter anyone, but they did say they may write me a letter to confirm to college theydont write letters. My surgeons secutery said they can only write me a letter if the college write to them first with my signature on it to, which seems simple enough right? wrong, college are refusing to write me that letter and say I have to obtain it myself when its clear i cannot.

Now the main question is, is this discriminating to my current disabilties and because of recovering from surgery.

Anyone work in a college or school and have any ideas on this? Ill add im from the UK as each country has its own laws and legislations and so on

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you mean that you need a private room for doing your exam? Usually those things need to be approved through the awarding body as there are strict rules.

My advice - speak to someone from your college learner services/support about what access they can offer and what evidence from you is needed to allow this. Also they will need to do a PEEP (personal emergency and evacuation plan) with you for your return in case of fire etc. Speak to the manager of learner services if necessary.

I think that it is unreasonable of them to not contact your surgeon. If one of my students was in this position I would be writing the letter now.

Also ask to see the college reasonable adjustment policy - this should tell you what provision the college has and how to access it. This should be easily accessible through the student handbook or similar.

If the college are still not helpful then the only other place you can go is to the awarding body (city and guilds, BTEC or similar). You should have the information of who this is in a course handbook. They have the power to discuss the situation with the college and ensure that the special adjustment policy is applied.

I hope that helps. Hopefully this can be resolved for you.

• Posted

Well as exams are always taken in a hall with all off us together i wouldnt be able to get up and walk/hobble when needed.

I just need a classroom to sit in really. I understand I may need evidence but I can only get that if the college contact the hospital for me. But they keep saying they wont do that. It seems incredibly unreasonable and unprofessional for the college to say that.

I am going to speak to my parents tonight and then possibly ring the college to see if they have someone who makes special requiments for students with disabilities.

Thankyou for your help

• Posted

There's probably different laws in different countries but I suspect pretty much all will have some "handicap access" laws and "duty to accomodate" laws.  I suspect the best thing to do is get your doctor to write what you can do and they likely have to abide to that (e.g. "you don't need a wheelchair but you need to be able to stand 5 minutes for every 30 minutes" or something like that.

Mike

• Posted

Tbh i probably do need the wheelchair. Theres no way i can walk from the carpark to the class. Its just to far so im happy with that.

But none of my medical professionals will write me a letter unless the college write to them first which the college are refusing to do

• Posted

Would your GP not write you a 'fit note' to say you are fit for the exams but need to be accomodated. Is it the actual GP who has refused to write a letter or the administrator there ? Might be worth speaking to your actual GP if it wasnt him xxxx ps whole thing seems rediculous ! 
    • Posted

It was the actual GP that said they no longer write letters like that. They said they could orint out a summary of my condition and procedures but that wouldnt tell the college im fit or tell them what changes i need would it. And it would cost me a tenner. I can tell them myself what happened haha. Its ridiculously difficult haha and it shouldnt be xxxx
    • Posted

Yes, its just stupid ! The new 'fit notes' - and he must have them as all GP,s do- could work as he could write any accomodation you need the college to apply on that. God , my staff turn up with them all the time , ' fit for work but light duties only '. ' no night shifts' etc etc  It makes me mad when people just cannot apply a bit of common sense to situations like yours , its hardly rocket science Grrrrrrr
    • Posted

Exactly, clearly i live in a crap area were medical proffessionals do not want to help xxxx
    • Posted

Alternatively

a). because I know patients do this and it works , phone ( dont write) to your local MP and discuss it with him/ her - once they get involved things usually happen fast 

b) talk to your local newspaper about how difficult it is to get in to do your exams - all institutions hate bad press ( put some make up on for the photo, hold a study book, and look tearful at your missed opportunity ) 

c) phone the Complaints Dept at your NHS Trust and say you want to make a formal compkaint re the refusal to write a letter for you 

d) Phone the Practice Manager at your surgery and say the same if you cannot have a fit note 

e) quote Disability Discrimination at all of them and say to the NHS you are going to contact the CQC ( Care Quality Commission) 

f) DO all the above tomorrow morning 

stay polite and friendly while you do all this - sometimes its only by being a nuisance that we manage to make ourselves heard / get listened to 

not that I,m a maveric or anything ................ Xxx

• Posted

Ohh they are interesting ideas. Although i dont even know who our local MP is.

I am going to mention tomorrow when the college ring me if i cannot do this exam i will be complaining and so on. This whole thing would be sorted if the college would just write a letter xxxx

• Posted

Just google member of parliament for whatever your post code is or phone the local council - they should know xxx
    • Posted

That's a real shame, I'm in Canada and getting ready to return to work and my employer just told me to get a letter from my doctor (which they do here) and whatever the doctor recommends, they'll abide by.
    • Posted

Apparently every other gp does these letters apart from mine. They said they used to and now they stopped
  • Posted

Hi Sarah - What a bureaucratic mess when what you are asking for seems pretty simple and reasonable. Kersty's advice seems useful to me (although I know next to nothing about the UK systems).. It seems as if you need a 'broker' to get both sides to communicate. Do you have a social worker working with you who might help with this mess?

I cannot imagine how frustrating this for you - already battling OA and your recovery- to be faced with such intransigence on the part of the college and your physician.

Good thing you are a determined woman.

More hugs needed clearly - big ones!

L

• Posted

Haha no i do not have a social worker haa. Do you get social workers were your from after this surgery?

And i know. Many people my age and in my position would be using this as an excuse to miss college and the exam. Im doing everything i can to get in and it seems impossible

• Posted

If you don't have a social worker assigned to you - see if your health authority has one that can help. I see that Bibi is suggesting an all out blitz that could help you (and others that need similar accomodations). Just be careful about burning bridges with people you may want helping you in future. Publicity can sometimes be a double-edged sword.

Wishing I could help ...

• Posted

The trick is just to stay very friendly and polite , whilst asserting your right to say these things . One of my many NHS jobs was Trust Complaints Manager for a couple of years , and if we were contacted , or the Chief Execs office was, by the local MP , we had to drop everything else and sort out that problem the same day . If you are polite and friendly you cannot burn bridges - i do worry that there is a common misconception that if you complain to the NHS it will affect future care , and know of a number of patients who dont / havent liked to complain because of this . I do appreciate what you are saying Linda but honestly think if its done politely without blaming any individual it can be very effective 
    • Posted

Fair enough. I agree although once you go to the media, it is easy to say something which can be taken out of context.

And .. I did vote for your response because I believe strongly in working within the system where possible, using all opportunities to improve policies and processes. I am not opposed to getting local newspapers involved - just cautious.

• Posted

No , youre right to be cautious re media - they can be tricky . Thankyou for voting for my response Linda 😊
    • Posted

Yeah im not sure i could go down that route anyway. Im quite concious and wouldnt want my picture plastered all over hha xx
    • Posted

For the record - your comments always seem well-rooted in common sense and experience. You have a lovely but straightforward way of writing that is courteous but direct and practical. A superb and sympathetic contributor.

With admiration.

L

• Posted

Why thankyou ! Am glad to have been of assistance to others , i just wish I,d known about this forum before my first and second ops rather than just my third - it really us do very supportive and useful . 
    • Posted

Is so , not us do ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.